Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Amex Hard Pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Amex Hard Pulls

I will preface this story by saying I'm pretty new to the credit card game lol.

I was recently in the market for a business credit card and at the recommendation of a friend, I applied for the Amex Amazon Business Prime card. I was super happy to be approved (considering all the inquiries from a recent new mortgage.) for an $8,000 SL. I received my expected hard pull. 

Later on that day after doing some research, I saw that a lot of people apply for charge cards and Amex doesn't do a second hard pull.  So I applied for the personal Gold Card and was denied. I received another hard pull for that application. I was logged in to my account as well.

Was there a step I missed? Should I have applied for the Business Gold instead? also This is my first Amex card. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 2 Amex Hard Pulls

I'm not entirely well versed in Amex's policies on HPs, but I'm thinking the 2nd HP may be a result of doing a business/personal CC application combination.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It happens. I got a hp for my second app. Haven't had one since.

Message 3 of 11
RDO
Contributor

For me I got my amex card (delta gold) in Feb 2020 was HP

Feb 2021 amex gold SP

Mar 2021 amex BBP SP

June 2021 amex CS platinum SP

Oct 2021 amex marriot business SP

So I would say I got lucky with 4 soft pull after my first card.

Amex Gold NSPL / Amex CS Platinum NSPL /
Amex BCE $30.6k / Amex Hilton Surpass $10k /
Amex Delta Gold $9.7k / Amex BBP $6k /
Amex Bonvoy Business $10k / C1 QS $3.2k /
C1 Venture X $19.5k / C1 Kohls $5k/
Chase unlimited $4k / Chase Sapphire $21.8k /
Chase Flex $16.8k / verizon visa $8k / Citi CCC $500 / Wells Fargo Slumberland $4.8k
max cash preferred $3k / chase prime visa $20K
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RDO wrote:

Feb 2021 amex gold SP

Mar 2021 amex BBP SP

You waited a whole year. Did they send you a preapproval on your second card? Or was it a cold app?

Message 5 of 11
RDO
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RDO wrote:

Feb 2021 amex gold SP

Mar 2021 amex BBP SP

You waited a whole year. Did they send you a preapproval on your second card? Or was it a cold app?

I got a pre-approval on amex account 

I kept cold apps and would get declined for core cards. All soft pulls. Got lucky with that as well.

Amex Gold NSPL / Amex CS Platinum NSPL /
Amex BCE $30.6k / Amex Hilton Surpass $10k /
Amex Delta Gold $9.7k / Amex BBP $6k /
Amex Bonvoy Business $10k / C1 QS $3.2k /
C1 Venture X $19.5k / C1 Kohls $5k/
Chase unlimited $4k / Chase Sapphire $21.8k /
Chase Flex $16.8k / verizon visa $8k / Citi CCC $500 / Wells Fargo Slumberland $4.8k
max cash preferred $3k / chase prime visa $20K
Message 6 of 11
Royalcredit2020

You must apply for a personal card first before you apply for a business card. In April of 2021 I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday and was approved with a 680 Expieran Score. In May I applied and was approved for the Green Card and last week I applied for the Blue Business Plus. I wasn't approved for the business card but it was a soft pull.

Message 7 of 11
alessandrom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I will preface this story by saying I'm pretty new to the credit card game lol.

I was recently in the market for a business credit card and at the recommendation of a friend, I applied for the Amex Amazon Business Prime card. I was super happy to be approved (considering all the inquiries from a recent new mortgage.) for an $8,000 SL. I received my expected hard pull. 

Later on that day after doing some research, I saw that a lot of people apply for charge cards and Amex doesn't do a second hard pull.  So I applied for the personal Gold Card and was denied. I received another hard pull for that application. I was logged in to my account as well.

Was there a step I missed? Should I have applied for the Business Gold instead? also This is my first Amex card. 

OP you are not alone. I applied for the platinum after being pre approved on the 28th and that was a hard pull to experian. I applied on the 29th for the Amex blue cash preferred thinking it was going to be a SP and I received another notification about a second HP from Amex to my experian CR. What hurts the most is that the second card was denied on top of the HP. Oh well you live and you learn I guess..

Current Score: Walmart TU 694 - Credit karma 679 - Credit Sesame 671- VantageScore 695 MyFico ?
Goal Score: 750
Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Royalcredit2020 wrote:

You must apply for a personal card first before you apply for a business card. In April of 2021 I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday and was approved with a 680 Expieran Score. In May I applied and was approved for the Green Card and last week I applied for the Blue Business Plus. I wasn't approved for the business card but it was a soft pull.

What is the source for that?   Just haven't heard that before.  

Message 9 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

If you check my signature, only the BCP (which at the time was a BCE) was a HP.

The others were all SPs.

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.