Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Barclay cards

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

2 Barclay cards

I'd like to apply for the Sallie Mae card but I don't see too many people with more than one Barclay card.

Can you transfer credit limits?  Do they prefer you to close one card?

Thanks!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 Barclay cards

i have never done it myself but i believe if approved for a second card, they will transfer cl's bewteen the two

Message 2 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Just apply for it there are quite a few people with multiple Barclays accounts, its a co-branded card as well and I dont think they have a limit for co-brands. As far as CL transfer I am not a Barclays customer.

Message 3 of 13
longhorn11
New Contributor

Go ahead and apply for the card.  I just got a 2nd Barclays card with a limit higher than my first.  

Message 4 of 13
budugu
Regular Contributor

@longhorn11 wrote:

Go ahead and apply for the card.  I just got a 2nd Barclays card with a limit higher than my first.  

Yup. You can definitely have more than one card. Transfering limits between them is OK. 

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 5 of 13
bski

I believe the only issue is when you apply for the second card too soon after your first card. The representatives have told me they prefer at least 6 months between your first and second applications. When applying for Sallie Mae three months after opening my Priceline card, I had to call the recon line to get approved.

Message 6 of 13
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I have a Rewards MasterCard, as well as an Apple Visa, recently "PC'd" the Apple Visa to an "upgraded rewards card" got sent a Rewards Visa, with the exact rewards as my MC.  It’s very possible to have more than one Barclay card, for me though I’ll be reducing down to one since it’s kind of useless to have two of the same cards. 

Also keep in mind transferring CL between cards will affect your auto CLI.  I was a bit disappointed when I figured this one out. 

Good luck.

Message 7 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@bski wrote:

I believe the only issue is when you apply for the second card too soon after your first card. The representatives have told me they prefer at least 6 months between your first and second applications. When applying for Sallie Mae three months after opening my Priceline card, I had to call the recon line to get approved.

+1

Some people can get a 2nd card sooner than 6 months but its rare and almost always involves a call to an analyst. 

Message 8 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@bski wrote:

+1

Some people can get a 2nd card sooner than 6 months but its rare and almost always involves a call to an analyst. 

I got a second barclays card 4.5 months after the first, but they were co-branded cards (priceline.com and Salliemae.com). I'm holding out for 6+ months before applying for another barclay card. Especially since I wasted some HP's and obtained an extra $20,000 in credit limits recently...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Well I opened my LL Bean in 2010 so the 6 months isn't an issue.  I rarely use the card and would rather PC than apply for a new one but I'm not sure if I'd miss out on the $25 credit after using the card once.

Also, should I wait until the Sallie Mae loan I cosigned for hits my CR or doesn't it really matter?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.