Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Close or Not 2 Close First Premier???

tag
ABattle
Regular Contributor

2 Close or Not 2 Close First Premier???

I am in the process of paying them off but I'm wondering if I should just close now. I'm thinking it would be cheaper in the long run. Especially when factoring in the $7 monthly fee plus the annual fee I just got hit with. I'm not looking for any extra credit right now so I'm not that concerned about UTIL. I'm just tired of them and their fees. I know that closing won't stop the interest but it will do away with the fees. On this past month bill I had the $7 monthly servicing fee, $49 annual fee + a $29 fee for having an AU. An extra $85, smh. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Would this really be that much of a mistake, closing an account w/o having a zero balance?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: 2 Close or Not 2 Close First Premier???

@ABattle wrote:

I am in the process of paying them off but I'm wondering if I should just close now. I'm thinking it would be cheaper in the long run. Especially when factoring in the $7 monthly fee plus the annual fee I just got hit with. I'm not looking for any extra credit right now so I'm not that concerned about UTIL. I'm just tired of them and their fees. I know that closing won't stop the interest but it will do away with the fees. On this past month bill I had the $7 monthly servicing fee, $49 annual fee + a $29 fee for having an AU. An extra $85, smh. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Would this really be that much of a mistake, closing an account w/o having a zero balance?

Yes' if the fees are getting to you close it as it will report positive history for up to 10 years 

HOWEVER closing an account with a balance on it will result in a Fico scoring ding big time 

You may wish to payoff the card first and then close the account IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

FPB......worst decision I ever made.  If you have finally made it to the place where you can consider closing them I would just pay them off and get it over with.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 3 of 4
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Pay them off with such a ferocity they've never seen before! Then close them even quicker! Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.