cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 cap one cards, 1 maxed the other zero, is it best to combine them to be at 50%?

tag
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

2 cap one cards, 1 maxed the other zero, is it best to combine them to be at 50%?

They both have limits of 2700...if I combined them I'd be about 2600/5400, will that always look better than having one maxed even tho the other is at a zero balance?

I'm pretty sure it is the thing to do but figured I'd get a few opinions, thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 cap one cards, 1 maxed the other zero, is it best to combine them to be at 50%?

As long as they both can be combined then I would do it. Before you do that though, check and see if you have any CLIs on either card.

Having any card at max is bad. It's better to have debt spread across and no one will ever look twice versus one card maxed out and everything else at zero. That will most likely trigger some questions.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 cap one cards, 1 maxed the other zero, is it best to combine them to be at 50%?

There is a button when you log in to CapOne that says Request Card Combination or some such language.  If you click on that button it will tell you which accounts can and cannot be combined.  I think I remember that one had to have a zero balance or it would not qualify for a merge, and that there had to have been no late payments for six months -- somethign to that effect.  

Also, please keep in mind the order in which you merge them.  If you have a Quicksilver and a Quicksilver One ... it doesn't make much sense to merge them  QS into the QS1.  I was really sort of shocked that the system, as far as I could tell, will let you do this.  Also, combining accounts means that you are ineligible for credit limit increases on either account for six months so be sure to request your increase before you merge.  Oh and one last thing, make sure that all things being equal that you are merging into the account you have had the longest.

Message 3 of 8
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

Well they were a month apart, does that matter ultimately? It's like one is 3 years 9 months and the other that I kept was 3 years and 8 months.

Crap did I make a mistake closing one of my older cards? Or still having one that is the same age basically the same as having 2 at same age? I guess what I'm asking is did it look better having 2 older cards?
Message 4 of 8
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

I'm debating if I should call and reopen and then simply see if I can transfer some of the balance to the other card. Or is length of credit simply based on the longest card and not how many cards? Like if I have a card that is 6 years old and then two that are 5 years old and close one , is my length of credit still ok or would they rather see 3 cards with a decent age?

Sorry, obsessing about it now lol
Message 5 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's based off your single oldest card

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never say sorry about obsessing.. That's all we are here for!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 8
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

Ah great then whew, yea it feels so much better having now a combined card with that limit only being around half now... Just thought I mightve shot myself in the foot eliminating a card that has a decent history for my situation. But thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.