Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 cards different numbers same account

tag
JamP
Valued Contributor

2 cards different numbers same account

Another question for the Myfico Wizards..

So I pay all my bills with my Doublecash card. I also want to use it as my daily driver when I don't have a better 3% or 5% category card to use.

My worry is now that I have everything setup auto on my Doublecash that I do not want to use it as my daily, in case it gets hacked and I have to go through re setting back up all my bills I pay with this card. (ie. school loans, insurance, gym memberships and such)

If I had a second card number and that one got hacked I could just close it and my other card would be fine.

Unfortunately my AU gets the same card number.

I guess I could just apply for another Doublecash card. I almost wish I didn't pc my quicksilver because I would have closed it and requested a new card if it was hacked.

Anyone else do this? Ideas?

Another example is I could leave an emergency credit card in my car but I would not want it to have the same cc number as my daily\main card.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 cards different numbers same account

I understand wanting to avoid the hassle of changing a bunch of autopay on bills.
But honestly your way over estimating the chances of getting your card number stolen nowadays. Atleast from using it daily.

IMO having your card stored in some companies servers is a much higher risk then someone stealing your card number physically nowadays. My credit card never leaves my hand except at restaurants. Now that cards have chips. It’s much much harder to have them skimmed and used physically.

The only company that I know of that lets you get 2 card numbers on the same account is Amex and that’s only for AU cards.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Shadowfactorwrote:
I understand wanting to avoid the hassle of changing a bunch of autopay on bills.
But honestly your way over estimating the chances of getting your card number stolen nowadays. Atleast from using it daily.

IMO having your card stored in some companies servers is a much higher risk then someone stealing your card number physically nowadays. My credit card never leaves my hand except at restaurants. Now that cards have chips. It’s much much harder to have them skimmed and used physically.

The only company that I know of that lets you get 2 card numbers on the same account is Amex and that’s only for AU cards.

Indeed, there are very few credit card companies that issues different card numbers for the primary and AUs.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/card-issuers-issue-unique-card-numbers-authorized-users/

Message 3 of 11
JamP
Valued Contributor

You have a good point Shadowfactor. I guess the question was about cards being hacked/compromised in general. 

A couple years ago I had a couple new credit cards arrive in the mail as a precautionary measure and I had to go back through and re setup all my auto charges on them. 

My car insurance was almost cancelled because I forgot to give them the new card number and it denied.

Yes it seems to have gotten more complicated for people to get our card numbers and use them as of late, maybe I am still just a little paranoid. 

I always set the minimum spend alerts on all my cards and most of my DW cards so we get texted on every single transaction Smiley Wink 

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 4 of 11
JamP
Valued Contributor

@simplynoirwrote:

@Shadowfactorwrote:

Indeed, there are very few credit card companies that issues different card numbers for the primary and AUs.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/card-issuers-issue-unique-card-numbers-authorized-users/

Great Read, Thank you for this information.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and try to find another 2% card, I missed out on the limitless card...

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Jam , just app another DC card. They even have a Sub nowSmiley Happy Nothing says you cant have 2 DC's.
Message 6 of 11
JamP
Valued Contributor

I am thinking about it. I just haven't taken a HP in over a year and I was hoping to continue the trend Smiley Wink

Yeah the signup isn't bad, I think mine was 15 months 0% too. I wish I could show some prequals on their site. Maybe if I thawed all my bureaus. I wonder if they would go off the credit score they show under my doublecash.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 7 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Have two,  2% cards. One for all recurring. The other as a daily driver.

Works well.   Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

That’s the beauty of BOA Shopsafe card numbers 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Hey @JamP, this isn't quite as good as a different account number, but it appears Discover has the ability to deactivate a secondary card (like a different design) upon request:

I requested a new card design, what should I do with my current card?

• Since your account number will not change, your current card will remain active until the expiration date. Continue using it until the expiration date shown on the card or call us at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) to deactivate the card. You do not need to return your current card to us. If you choose not to use your old card, please destroy it.

From:  https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/card-designs.html#request

It's not a perfect solution by any means (since the card number would still be 'in the wild' if stolen) but at least a missing card could be deactivated without changing the account number. 

This might be helpful in some cases, like if you suspect a card is simply lost or destroyed rather than stolen. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.