Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 days late on one of the cards

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: 2 days late on one of the cards

Clicked on this thread thinking "Man I hope it was not BoA!".

Try calling. If this is the only hiccup they might not do the default rate.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 17
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your input!

In fact, it might be a good hint that at this point I have way too many *active* credit cards, so that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to keep track of all of them. Their payment due dates are more or less randomly distributed along every month so I might seriously need to rethink the way I use all of them.

In essence, it might mean that it's time to SD some of the cards (sorry Cap1, definitely first to go away) and have a good lesson out of it. 

I don't really care if they assign me the highest possible APR on this card, as I PIF all cards that have any non-zero APR and only carry balance on those that still have "0% intro APR". That's unfortunate if they cancel my 0% promo on this card, but as it should have expired in August anyway that would really not be a huge loss.

I already see $25 late fee on my statement, so as soon as I come back home (I'm abroad right now), I'll give them a call to figure out how they want to penalize me :-) My relationship with BofA was not really good (I mean, on their side - I still have $500 CL on one of their cards, got several CLI denials etc), so nothing to lose really...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 12 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@JonStur wrote:
Also creditcards generally don't send you reminders unless you set up to receive them. At least every one that I own has a section on their website giving you the opportunity to sign up for reminders, as well as when they send them to you ( ie. a week before, 5 days before, etc).

+1.  I have all my credit cards set up to send me reminders, 2-10 days before the due date.  In addition, I have reminders in the calendar of my DROID that alerts me along with the email/txt msg notices I get from the credit cards.  One can't have too many alerts!!

Message 13 of 17
knoregs
Established Contributor

I also missed a due date with BOA... by ONE day! They imposed a $25 late fee but since it was my first late I called and they reversed the charge. Just hope it doesn't affect my card graduating from secured to unsecured at the 1 year mark mid June. ~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 14 of 17
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Try Manilla.com and the manilla smartphone app to help keep up with multiple credit card bills.

Message 15 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your input!

In fact, it might be a good hint that at this point I have way too many *active* credit cards, so that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to keep track of all of them. Their payment due dates are more or less randomly distributed along every month so I might seriously need to rethink the way I use all of them.

In essence, it might mean that it's time to SD some of the cards (sorry Cap1, definitely first to go away) and have a good lesson out of it. 

I don't really care if they assign me the highest possible APR on this card, as I PIF all cards that have any non-zero APR and only carry balance on those that still have "0% intro APR". That's unfortunate if they cancel my 0% promo on this card, but as it should have expired in August anyway that would really not be a huge loss.

I already see $25 late fee on my statement, so as soon as I come back home (I'm abroad right now), I'll give them a call to figure out how they want to penalize me :-) My relationship with BofA was not really good (I mean, on their side - I still have $500 CL on one of their cards, got several CLI denials etc), so nothing to lose really...

call your lenders up and tell them you want to change the due date. most lenders let you change your due date once every 12 months. Some do it by 1 every calendar year.

And if you are worried about missing certain due dates for certain cards, have ALL cards set as automatic minimum payment. You will then no matter what not be late on any accounts, assuming your funding source is funded. For certain cards that you do not use as much, or rarely, or simply don't want to leave a balance on, set it as full automatic payment. Problem solved.

Most lenders have some sort of a "courtesy" removal that'll forgive 1 late payment every 12 months. Try calling them and talk to them about it. They might just cut you some slack and remove the late fee and readjust your APR back to what it was originally.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 17
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Don't forget to setup autopay for at least the minimum payment so something like this does not happen again Smiley Wink

It'll take you no more than 10 min of your time assuming you do it for all your cards (assuming you have alot)

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.