Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 - Year in Review

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: 2012 - Year in Review

Nice jobs guys, thanks for sharing.

Mine is going to be short and sweet because I found this site in early November, when my Scores were all around 524. I got myself into a big financial hole after losing everything I had due to a near fatal motorcycle accident. A short sale of my house from my hospital bed during my second month in the hospital, my business and the mobile home park that it owned...etc. I had many bills that I just never paid and 3 checking accounts that were over-drawn and closed by the bank. I used to get 10 calls+ per day from bill collectors, which I made go directly to voice mail. I had 6, count 'em six student loans in default status. I decided that I wanted to go back to school and I needed financial aid to do this so I borrowed the money to rehabilitate the student loans, which was 50 bucks per month for 11 months. Once I got them rehabbed I was able to start getting financial aid again. The problem was, I was in chex systems, which made it practically impossible to get a bank account. Being the research fanatic I am, I found out that USAA didn't use chex systems so I could probably apply there. Bam! I'm in business with a checking account. I found out that USAA offers credit reports and scores from all three CRA, and I knew that my credit was FUBAR, so I joined. At this point disability finally kicked in, so I was getting a small check each month. At that point my credit score was the 524 that I mentioned earlier. I knew that it was time to rebuild my credit, so I got two secured credit cards a first premiere for 350 and an applied bank for 250. When I got my financial aid check (a pell grant and student loan totaling about 4K), I paid almost everything off my credit report. My credit was mostly clear, excepting one collection on EQ and a 151,000 medical collection on TU and my util was at 95%. That is when I found this site. I wish I would have found it before I paid the items off my CR because I had no idea what PFD and GW were. It was the beginning of Nov (last month), and as I mentioned earlier, I am a research fanatic, so I began reading here.

I learned about uti, and paid off my cc and my credit alerts went crazy, 98 point increase. I continued to read the boards, enrolled in SW here, and saw that a bunch of people with scores around mine (630's-650's) were getting approved at wal mart. Then, a dispute was accepted and my score jumped to 678. I pulled the trigger on Wal mart and was approved with a 700 limit -- I was blown away. I hadn't ever had unsecured credit that was that high (sad, I know). The next day I was  reading about all the people that got approved at USAA, which I have been a member at for some time now, so again I pulled the trigger. If I was blown away by a 700 dollar unsecured LOC from wal mart, imagine my elation when USAA gave me a CL of 4,000 bucks. I couldn't believe it (it is still hard to believe). My credit score took a hit down to 661 from the HPs and the new account (Wal Mart reported before I even got the card in the mail), and USAA has not even reported yet. Yesterday I got another Score Alert and I was bummed a little, because I was like "now what?" My score jumped back up to 678 because one of my student loans was still being reported in default and I faxed in a dispute a week or two ago, and it was adjusted to "pays as agreed" "never late".

So on to my plans for 2013: I am planning on gardening what I have now until may (the 6 month mark of my USAA card) and asking for a cli of 2x. I will call the backdoor wal mart number as soon as usaa reports my card and ask for a cli, as I was denied for one on the same day that I got the card because I asked for 4k and I had nothing even close to that high of a limit, but now I do. In 2013 I would like to get 3 prime cards as I will be closing my two secured cards after they hit the 1 year mark. I want a discover card, the CSP and the BCE in 2013, and be in the 700 club (before I apply for these cards, of course). Well, that's the short and sweet version...lol sorry.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 11 of 43
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

So it all began this February ...after walking into a branch at Wells Fargo. I was offered to apply for a card.  I was approved for $800 my first card.

Intrigued about credit I decided to go for BOA another bank that I bank with and was denied after applying in branch. I then decide to look  at my report and see medical collections. I call the Collection agency and they agreed to get it off my reports if I paid. Back then I knew nothing about collections agency's or Hippa so I lucked out and they deleted after I disputed and paid. So I start reading and I see more than 1 card is good so I apply for Capital one and was originally denied but I reconned for approval. 2 months later I try for BOA student card and was approved after recon because of my banking relationship. I then tried for Discover and Citi and was denied for lack of history. I was immature back in the day and even called the Citi president house phone in an attempt to recon the denial. I was heavily scolded on this forum..feel free to see my old posts. So I continue to read about credit and learned so much. I decided to help my father fix his credit. I sent tons of letters and disputes and got his Equifax clean(had 20 negatives)and made great strides on the others. So I got him a Zync,Dividend,Freedom,WF cash card, and Cap One. All of which took several Recons or executive office contact. A month later around June I had my first fico...and applied in July for More,Freedom, and Forward instantly approved.(I had added myself to my moms 5yr old cap one and my pops 1 year old secured card. 6 months later I'm still in the guarden, and just recently(yesterday)got my farther a 10K CSP and currently a BCP pending(I spoke with someone in the executive office and pleaded for a manual review based on his Zync usage and among other things like salary). Sorry for any typos in advance typing this on my iPhone. I am still learning something new about credit everyday. I have learned so much about credit repair and building since February and have come along way. 

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 12 of 43
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

2012: 525 to 650, CAP1, GE

2013: 700, AMEX.

Short and sweet.

Wow, would hate for you to tell a bedtime story to my neice lol. Smiley LOL

I'll keep my full year end review for the rebuilding forum Smiley Tongue

Though my credit was so scary it might not be an appropriate story for a child, haha.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 13 of 43
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@CreditChampion wrote:

So it all began this February ...after walking into a branch at Wells Fargo. I was offered to apply for a card.  I was approved for $800 my first card.

Intrigued about credit I decided to go for BOA another bank that I bank with and was denied after applying in branch. I then decide to look  at my report and see medical collections. I call the Collection agency and they agreed to get it off my reports if I paid. Back then I knew nothing about collections agency's or Hippa so I lucked out and they deleted after I disputed and paid. So I start reading and I see more than 1 card is good so I apply for Capital one and was originally denied but I reconned for approval. 2 months later I try for BOA student card and was approved after recon because of my banking relationship. I then tried for Discover and Citi and was denied for lack of history. I was immature back in the day and even called the Citi president house phone in an attempt to recon the denial. I was heavily scolded on this forum..feel free to see my old posts. So I continue to read about credit and learned so much. I decided to help my father fix his credit. I sent tons of letters and disputes and got his Equifax clean(had 20 negatives)and made great strides on the others. So I got him a Zync,Dividend,Freedom,WF cash card, and Cap One. All of which took several Recons or executive office contact. A month later around June I had my first fico...and applied in July for More,Freedom, and Forward instantly approved.(I had added myself to my moms 5yr old cap one and my pops 1 year old secured card. 6 months later I'm still in the guarden, and just recently(yesterday)got my farther a 10K CSP and currently a BCP pending(I spoke with someone in the executive office and pleaded for a manual review based on his Zync usage and among other things like salary). Sorry for any typos in advance typing this on my iPhone. I am still learning something new about credit everyday. I have learned so much about credit repair and building since February and have come along way. 

Holy crap, you called the Citi presidents house??!! How did that conversation go?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 14 of 43
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

His wife(I think) took my name and contact info but I never got a call back. I was desperate and stubborn to say the least. I took recon to a whole new level.

NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 15 of 43
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

At first, I avoided credit cards like the plague because I simply did not want any debt nor the responsibility of carrying the debt, and also I had no clue how it worked. So one day in April, I went down to my local BOFA branch to open myself a savings account (no I didnt open one earlier, I just spent carefully, but thought I might as well just open one now.) And at the same time my personal banker asked me if I wanted to open up a credit card since I already had been banking with them for 1 1/2 to nearly 2 years. So I filled out the form, submitted my paperwork and income info and wallah, I got approved for my first card with a 700$ limit. I have used it a lot over the course of the last 8 months, and I used it carefully, alwaysd paid before the statement cut. Finally 6 months had elapsed, and I tried for cards that I reasonably thought that I had a chance after checking my credit scores (idk what Experian was until I asked citi when I was approved) And it came back as 731 on EQ and TU at 742. So I pulled the trigger and I didnt expect to be approved but I got an email 30 minutes later saying I got approved for the cards. I applied on October 27th and did not find out discover until  the next monday morning. Approved for both with limits at 1.5k (I was going to ask for more, but I didnt want to open my mouth and was thankful they approved me.) Then in November, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about getting an Amex card and I thought, why wait until December? If I did not get approved I would have been fine with it. So they got rid of the zync and I didnt like the rewards of the Green, so I applied for the Gold. I was instantly approved and instead of the regular I asked customer service if I can receive the PRG. She asked if I was okay with the slightly higher annual fee and I said yes. I got the card expedited to me (I did not ask them, they simply said that they would send it ASAP.) again it was on a Saturday night on November 24th. I was going to apply for the Gold Delta, but I decided against it in case they turn around and deny me. So then, I tried for the Chase Freedom, and they wound up denying me.  When I called in to recon, she said that my history and my reports looked good and my score was very good with someone with that short of history, but she said that right now, only the BOFA account was showing. I told her what other creditors I had gotten approved for and she said that I was doing a great job, but they want to see more history with cards. I said okay and thanked her for explaining to me what to do next.  And that is where I am right now, and staying in the garden for now until May. So all in all, it has been a decent year credit wise for me.

My goals for 2013 include getting my scores at least 730+, and keeping everything PIF during reporting time so I dont have much to worry about. In May or June of next year I am planning to apply for the Chase Freedom and the BCE and as well as Gold Delta in case I do not get approved for the BCE or the Blue Sky. After that, my credit card portfolio is essentially done, and when my income hopefully goes up I'm going to go for the U.S. Bank Cash+ and the CSP. And hopefully by then I will be able to have a car and mortgage and stuff. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 16 of 43
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

UpdateSmiley Tongueops got approved for BCP 5K just now. What a year! I will probably go for BCE in January and finish my pops collection by apping for PenFed plat rewards and US Bank+. Hope it's still being offered by then.

PenFed Promise 5K
Message 17 of 43
Croselx
Contributor

Started year with $800 total credit limit on 2 cards

Got 1 unsecure loan for $1K (amount I needed)

Got 4 new cards and CLI

Total credit available at end year is $8.5k so I 10x my available credit and have a total of 6 cards now

this was all done from august-oct. Smiley Very Happy

Goals for next year are to bump several TLs to $5K+ CL, 1-2 prime cards and to keep score above the 720s.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 18 of 43
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Dove into the credit card game in April, 2012.  Before then, I had only a Cap 1 card at $2,500 credit limit, but lived on a cash basis for years.

In April, was approved for Chase Freedom $3K, Discover $5k, and Amex Green.  In August received an auto CLI on Discover that brought my limit to $6.5k.  Refinanced my home in October, and plan to start building new home in April 2013.

2012 is the year that my financial journey rose to a whole new level.  All of the learning about credit and finances finally paid off and the final pieces of my financial roadmap fell into place. 

It's funny, when i first got my cards, i was so afraid that i would mismanage them.  However, I've been so OCD about my finances until I'm scared to make any purchase above what i've allotted for in a month.  I planned to float a balance on my 0% card for 3 months due to christmas, and it's stressing me out.  I'm already trying to see what I can sacrifice pay the bill sooner.  Smiley Happy

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 19 of 43
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Really amazing stories everyone! Mine will be brief. Hopefully.

I dove into the credit game in 2010 when I landed my first decent paying job where I could afford to have credit all on my own. I applied for a CAP1 card with a CL of $500. I had some Exe Office success as well. CAP1 limit is now $1,500. It wasn't until a year later in 2011 that I applied for my second card--a store card with a limit of $100. Then in 2012 (another year later lol) I app'd again. In 2012 I think its where I made my credit leap since I opened a total of 6 cards this year bringing my account total to 8. Would have been 9 had I not combined my two Chase accounts into one. My account opening process goes in the order of my signature. Hehe. My AAoA is shot to hell but that's OK.

In September of this year, I experienced job loss. I was heavily into credit debt at this point--approximately 4k. My unemployment was slow and sometimes late and not nearly what I was making when I was working but I had to stick it out. I had bills to pay up to my neck. I kind of drifted away from the forum because to be totally honest, I felt ashamed. During my job lost, I app'd for even more credit which was subsequently approved just to keep going--then I went from being 4k into debt to nearly 6k into debt. I was in a car accident during this time which caused me to spend even more money to get back to that "good" place. I had to accept a cheesy seasonal store job to make ends meet until I could find full time employment. A note to the wise, if you are unemployed, don't accept any work less than full time b/c EDD is cheap and will deduct the crap out of your check for any reported income. I had to learn the hard way. I was one of the lucky ones however. I was only unemployed for about 3 months. I was able to find another full time job and I am happy to report that I am not in as much debt as I was previously. I did manage to save over $7k which helped me during this time as well.

I managed to knock out 2 credit card bills both $800 and $1,100 respectively. I still have two cards to go before I will be completely out of debt. One for $2300 and another for $1800. But none the less, I am proud of myself. And the shocker of the evening, I've never paid any APR. Ever. Lol. I think I'd cry if I ever had to pay any extra money out of pocket that was totally unnecessary.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.