cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 is here, what are your credit plans?

tag
Rikku
Regular Contributor

Re: 2014 is here, what are your credit plans?

My plan is to hit our student loans as hard as we can this year. We should definitely be able to get rid of the five smallest this year and pay off the rest of mine in 2015 - which will just leave DH's two large ones. We'll have to plug away at those for a couple years, but getting rid of the majority of our SLs will make a big difference in simplifying our budget and will free up a lot of money if we need it - otherwise, we'll snowball it towards the two large SLs.

As far as CCs go, I'm going to close my Cap One before the AF is due. Already tried the EO and they couldn't remove it and only gave me a minimal CLI. I'm going to replace it with another card - probably Sallie Mae - since I only have three CCs and I'm happy with that number. This will wait until after April, as my car lease is up in April, so I need either a new lease or loan.

Other than that, no plans. I just hit the 800-club, but I'll drop back into the high 700s when I open the new accounts. Unless I identify a particular need for something else, I'll probably just hang out.

Message 61 of 75
samm90
New Contributor

Get freedom and it to 5k
Get bce to 10k
Get a low apr card (ring or local CU)
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 62 of 75
empressj
Frequent Contributor

My goal is to reduce my cc debt and this should lower my credit utilization. Hopefully.... I will receive CLI's. The funny thing is I requested an increase for my CO cc and was denied but approved for the QS card. I'm still baffled......these companies do what they want!!

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 63 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

For this year, just the usual purging of cards I've app'ed for solely for the sign-up bonus.  

And, of course, to continue to opportunistically apply for sign-up bonus offers when they become available.  In my view, I think this year, we'll see a reduction of cash rewards bonuses, but an increase in travel rewards bonuses.  Issuers will feel more comfortable offer large travel points, where many will either not redeem or redeem for less than optimal value.  And, if redemptions are more than the issuers's expected, they can always devalue the points.

Message 64 of 75
Involver
Valued Contributor

Get student loan out of rehab, removing the huge negative (and only remaining) derogs on my CRs.

CLIs on Freedom / It

750+ CS
Message 65 of 75
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Repo-ed wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Teaching the kids about credit/finance so they're not stressed-out all the time over it like their Dad.

Education really does pay the bills!

So true! I wish that I knew what I know now back when I was younger... I shudder to think of how much money I would have saved.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 66 of 75
Longroad
Established Contributor

Garden for at least the first half of 2014, then app for AMEX BCP and Fidelity AMEX. Would also like to add Marriott Premier Rewards, Merrill + or Citi AA Platinum. Not sure on those, may wait until 2015. I will also be trying to CLI Barclay Arrival and Chase/SWA. Also a decent CL with Cap 1 or they will be sent packing. 

Message 67 of 75
Mannymal
New Contributor

My plans are to pay off my car in April, which should leave me enough slack to keep my credit card util at 10% (on my 0% APR cards), and put extra money into my student loans. Then to get CLIs/-APR on my current cards, especially my BCE  and DIscover It, and whatever cards do SPs, I want them all above $4k.I will stay in the garden.

Next year I want to get approved for a CHASE Freedom as I got denied last week, and I want it with a high CL and low APR. Hopefully they'll still have the $200 cash back promo when you spend $500. 

AMEX BCE: $3000, CHASE Freedom: $4000, Discover IT: $2,500, Barclay Apple: $1700, Barclay Arrival: $3,000, GE Amazon Store: $6000, Amazon CHASE Visa: $500, American Airlines Federal Credit Union: $6000, Macy's: $600. GARDENING 01/15/15

Starting Score: TU FICO: 630
Current Score: TU FICO: 734 EX FICO: 704
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 68 of 75
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Already got some cards i wanted (BCE, Green, Discover IT). Got decent CLIs. Now waiting to buy first house near September when few of my major deliquencies fall off. Expecting the scores to get a jump after that. Though I will be the co-borrower of Mortgage and my wife will be the primary as her credit is perfect. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 69 of 75
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

Garden for the entire year.  Close my gold best buy credit card with an annual fee.  close pottery barn card which i never used.  Keep on paying off every month on the two cards i use.  just work towards a better credit score three years after bankruptcy.

Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 70 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.