Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 AmEx Travel Credit

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

@iheartwings wrote:

I bought a $200 gift certificate on delta.com on January 2. The credit still has not shown up on my account, which is somewhat unusual since it has usually been credited fairly quickly.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it being the beginning of the year.

I've read elsewhere about people having problems with getting the reimbursement with Delta GCs specifically if the amount was over $50, which is why I'm sticking to $50 increments myself. 

Hopefully that's not the case with you, though, and they are just backed up. 

Message 41 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know the thought just occurred to me...

Why is everyone in a rush to use 2017's credit in January?

It's entirely possible that something will change in the coming months this year making either MPX work again, or possibly even opening up the travel credit itself, ala Sapphire Reserve.

As a backup, I am going to make both of my cards have Delta, but I'm in no hurry to pile up more $50 certificates. I say let's be patient for a bit and see if Amex comes to their senses before selling ourselves short, potentially.

Message 42 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You know the thought just occurred to me...

Why is everyone in a rush to use 2017's credit in January?

It's entirely possible that something will change in the coming months this year making either MPX work again, or possibly even opening up the travel credit itself, ala Sapphire Reserve.

As a backup, I am going to make both of my cards have Delta, but I'm in no hurry to pile up more $50 certificates. I say let's be patient for a bit and see if Amex comes to their senses before selling ourselves short, potentially.

While I agree that things could change for the better (and I hope they do) it could also go the other way just as easily, which is why some people are eager to get the credit now.  For example, last year MPX worked just fine most of the year, but died around the end of November.  People who didn't wait were able to take advantage of it, while those who waited too long missed out. 

It's the same thought process with the gift card reimbursement... while it will be nice if Amex loosens up (à la CSR) the trend seems to be going in the other direction, at least for now. 

Put another way, a bird in the hand beats two in the bush.  Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 52
resilient
Established Contributor

I am in that boat too....bought $200 on January 5.....nothing. Upgraded to economy comfort on two flights a day later, both credits posted. Only difference on my billing was the gift card added a delta.com, while my upgrades just said delta. I was going to get them anyway, so I'm okay with it. I'll call back after the 14 days is up to ask for a manual review.

@UncleB wrote:

@iheartwings wrote:

I bought a $200 gift certificate on delta.com on January 2. The credit still has not shown up on my account, which is somewhat unusual since it has usually been credited fairly quickly.

I've read elsewhere about people having problems with getting the reimbursement with Delta GCs specifically if the amount was over $50, which is why I'm sticking to $50 increments myself. 

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 44 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@resilient wrote:

I am in that boat too....bought $200 on January 5.....nothing. Upgraded to economy comfort on two flights a day later, both credits posted. Only difference on my billing was the gift card added a delta.com, while my upgrades just said delta. I was going to get them anyway, so I'm okay with it. I'll call back after the 14 days is up to ask for a manual review.

@UncleB wrote:

@iheartwings wrote:

If you're talking about calling for a manual review of why the $200 GC purchase didn't get credited that isn't a good idea... it's actually in the terms that GCs are not reimbursed... it's just a loophole that people take advantage of when they are. 

If you call they will simply tell you this, and it will only serve to bring you to their attention.

Message 45 of 52
resilient
Established Contributor

I'm not that silly....my baggage fees for my 4 checked bags were $200....😉
Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 46 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@resilient wrote:
I'm not that silly....my baggage fees for my 4 checked bags were $200....😉

LOL... that's good to hear!  Smiley Wink

(You would be surprised at the people who have written that they do call about getting GCs credited.)  Smiley Frustrated

Message 47 of 52
resilient
Established Contributor

😂😂 and I've learned from them! going on 5 years!
Message 48 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious as to what MPX is.

I did purchase $200 in Southwest gift cards, and got my $200 credit back. I also just downgraded to the PRG and looks like I may have another $100 in credit to spend.

Message 49 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious as to what MPX is.

I did purchase $200 in Southwest gift cards, and got my $200 credit back. I also just downgraded to the PRG and looks like I may have another $100 in credit to spend.

MPX is MileagePlus X, which is a United Airlines app for buying gift cards. 

You can get multipliers on the miles per dollar based on which brand/card you purchase.  People liked it because when you buy a gift card using MPX it codes as an airline purchase, and until a couple of months ago would trigger the PRG and Platinum reimbursement for airline incidentals.  My personal favorite was Amazon, which is just as good as cash to me, but the other brands worked as well.  Here's a link:  https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/earn/mileageplusx.aspx

Of course Amex got wise to this, and as of the end of November it no longer works to trigger the automatic credit.

It's fantastic that you have another $100 on your newly downgraded card... that makes up for not getting the PRG new account bonus!  (And if you've previously received the PRG bonus, this is even better!)  Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.