cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 AmEx Travel Credit

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit


@wasCB14 wrote:

It doesn't sound like many of us use the full credit through natural spend...


Well they do make it a little harder to use. If it was just for natural spend on travel then all would be well. I used all my credits for Delta gift cards last year. I still have like 5 or more of them. I'll worry about my remaining credits later in the year. It's only january so I'm in no rush. I'm sure some of the $500 will get spent naturally. I'll gift card the remaining balances in Nov/Dec if there is any. Smiley Happy

[11 AMEX] 58.5k + NPSLs // [1 Cap One] 23.25k // [2 Discover] 15.9k // [2 Barclays] 10.15k // [3 Citi] 18.8k // [2 Chase] 24.5k // Amazon 6k
Starting FICO Scores: EQ 595, TU 625, EX 604 (01/14/15) w/ Total CL of $1.3k
Current FICO Scores: EQ 651, TU 660, EX 651 (04/05/20) w/ Total CLs of $169.1k
Owner of The Point Calculator. Calculate credit card rewards based on your spend, compare credit cards side-by-side, and search for the best cards based on spend.
Message 21 of 52
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit


@Komp wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

It doesn't sound like many of us use the full credit through natural spend...


Well they do make it a little harder to use. If it was just for natural spend on travel then all would be well. I used all my credits for Delta gift cards last year. I still have like 5 or more of them. I'll worry about my remaining credits later in the year. It's only january so I'm in no rush. I'm sure some of the $500 will get spent naturally. I'll gift card the remaining balances in Nov/Dec if there is any. Smiley Happy


+1. If they made it so it weren't only incidentals then I wouldn't have to buy a GC first to use towards airline ticket.

Message 22 of 52
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

 


@rylo wrote:

@Komp wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

It doesn't sound like many of us use the full credit through natural spend...


Well they do make it a little harder to use. If it was just for natural spend on travel then all would be well. I used all my credits for Delta gift cards last year. I still have like 5 or more of them. I'll worry about my remaining credits later in the year. It's only january so I'm in no rush. I'm sure some of the $500 will get spent naturally. I'll gift card the remaining balances in Nov/Dec if there is any. Smiley Happy


+1. If they made it so it weren't only incidentals then I wouldn't have to buy a GC first to use towards airline ticket.


Exactly! I choose Delta as my airline on my Platinum and I have to buy Delta Gift Cards to use the airline credit on the card that I'm going to put the charge on anyway (since it's 5x airfare). Hopefully one day they make it more simple! Smiley Happy

[11 AMEX] 58.5k + NPSLs // [1 Cap One] 23.25k // [2 Discover] 15.9k // [2 Barclays] 10.15k // [3 Citi] 18.8k // [2 Chase] 24.5k // Amazon 6k
Starting FICO Scores: EQ 595, TU 625, EX 604 (01/14/15) w/ Total CL of $1.3k
Current FICO Scores: EQ 651, TU 660, EX 651 (04/05/20) w/ Total CLs of $169.1k
Owner of The Point Calculator. Calculate credit card rewards based on your spend, compare credit cards side-by-side, and search for the best cards based on spend.
Message 23 of 52
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

Last I knew it was dead. I just used my platinum credit on delta gift cards.

Message 24 of 52
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit


@Thejoshuatree wrote:

Last I knew it was dead. I just used my platinum credit on delta gift cards.


I feel fairly certain that it is, but it won't hurt anything for me to wait a few more days just for the (additional) data point.  Assuming it's belly up I plan to change my airline to Delta and get a $50 GC as well... once I see that work I'll get a second one.

 

It's not as sweet as Amazon GCs, but at some point I'll use them (as far as I know they don't expire).

 

Side note:  I'm not well-read on the intricacies of Delta GC usage... are there any notable caveats?

Message 25 of 52
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

The only big caveat to me is that you can only use I think 3 per flight, so you will want you book one way flights.
Message 26 of 52
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

Can you link Delta gift cards to a Skymiles account without actually booking a flight...sort of a "gift card balance reload" like you can do with Amazon gift cards? I'm generally uneasy about keeping money in prepaid instruments and would like to link any gift card balance to my Skymiles account quickly.

 

I'll probably only use $100-$150 of my $200 on bags and lounge guest access, so might as well get a $50 Delta GC now in case they change anything.

 

I hope they don't move to exclude Delta gift cards. It's not quite as far from Amex's intended use as MPX was.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, Freedom x 2, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 27 of 52
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

@Uncle B - Yeah, as wanderingbuilder stated above you can only use three at a time unfortunately, so booking one way flights is the way to get around. I believe that's the only real issue with the delta GCs. I wish you could get them at larger denominations. 

 

@CB14 - No you can't. Your gift cards to yourself will float in your email inbox until you delete them. There's no "reload" option. I usually just copy and paste (as well as screenshot) the gift card information into my Excel doc with the rest of my trip related stuff... that way I can keep track of which ones I've used and haven't used. It's a real hassle that you can just add them to your account for future use.

 

[11 AMEX] 58.5k + NPSLs // [1 Cap One] 23.25k // [2 Discover] 15.9k // [2 Barclays] 10.15k // [3 Citi] 18.8k // [2 Chase] 24.5k // Amazon 6k
Starting FICO Scores: EQ 595, TU 625, EX 604 (01/14/15) w/ Total CL of $1.3k
Current FICO Scores: EQ 651, TU 660, EX 651 (04/05/20) w/ Total CLs of $169.1k
Owner of The Point Calculator. Calculate credit card rewards based on your spend, compare credit cards side-by-side, and search for the best cards based on spend.
Message 28 of 52
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit


@Komp wrote:

@Uncle B - Yeah, as wanderingbuilder stated above you can only use three at a time unfortunately, so booking one way flights is the way to get around. I believe that's the only real issue with the delta GCs. I wish you could get them at larger denominations. 

 

@CB14 - No you can't. Your gift cards to yourself will float in your email inbox until you delete them. There's no "reload" option. I usually just copy and paste (as well as screenshot) the gift card information into my Excel doc with the rest of my trip related stuff... that way I can keep track of which ones I've used and haven't used. It's a real hassle that you can just add them to your account for future use.

 


These are fantastic data points... thanks for sharing!  Smiley Happy

 

I know what you mean about having a GC code 'floating' in your inbox - I bought a Delta GC last summer to take advantage of the $50 Delta credit with my Delta Gold Amex, and the GC email has been hanging around my inbox ever since... LOL. 

 

I wasn't too concerned about losing the single GC, but once I add another (or more) having the numbers in an Excel spreadsheet for backup is an excellent idea!  Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 52
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: 2017 AmEx Travel Credit

I also am annoyed by how difficult it can be to take advantage of the credit. I am contemplating changing my airline selection this year because I potentially will fly a carrier a couple times this year I don't normally use. But I am curious if anyone has gotten upgrade fees reimbursed by that credit. AA has 2 fees attached to upgrades. 75 dollar processing and 350 in conjunction with the miles. I assume they lump them together under one charge or maybe I can ask them to split it out so that maybe at least one of them will be reimbursed?

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.