cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Spring cleaning, which cards will get cut?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

2017 Spring cleaning, which cards will get cut?

So this year I am going to cut some cards and I'm still deciding what I should dump.

Cards currently on the chopping block

Amex biz gold card

Chase marriott card

Citi AA personal card

Cards I am not sure what to do with:

citi prestige

citi premier

Amex Biz SPG

I could reapp for the prestige card but I don't think the signup is that great and was considering closing the premier and PCing the prestige into a double cash. Is there any reason to keep the prestige card? I have the CSR which kinda takes care of most of the benefits. 

The amex biz spg card is really a tough one for me. I like that card and the ability to earn SPG points but I don't stay at SPG properties very often except when I redeem spg points. For awhile this was my goto card for general non-cat spend, but now I am thinking about PCing my CS card to a freedom unlimited and making that my general spend card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2017 Spring cleaning, which cards will get cut?

I'd chop any high AF card that's not giving you it's full value. Amex Gold is expensive to hold onto so are you using it? If not, dump it!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You certainly have some impressive and expensive cards there. I personally do not see any use for a Prestige if you have CSR. The Prestige does have the 4th night free so if you travel often where a fourth night would be warranted, it could be worth it for that feature. 

I wouldn't hang on to any of the AF cards if they aren't going to be used. The Freedom Unlimited + CSR combo sounds like it would suit you best. 

Message 3 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd chop any high AF card that's not giving you it's full value. Amex Gold is expensive to hold onto so are you using it? If not, dump it!

Yea the amex gold is going. I just got it for the signup but I don't even have a use for it at this point. 

;
Message 4 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You certainly have some impressive and expensive cards there. I personally do not see any use for a Prestige if you have CSR. The Prestige does have the 4th night free so if you travel often where a fourth night would be warranted, it could be worth it for that feature. 

I wouldn't hang on to any of the AF cards if they aren't going to be used. The Freedom Unlimited + CSR combo sounds like it would suit you best. 

Yea I rarely stay on a paid stay at the same property for four nights in a row. In addition, they have change that benefit somewhat as well making it less valuable. Really ashame the way they undercut what was one of my favorite cards.

;
Message 5 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

So this year I am going to cut some cards and I'm still deciding what I should dump.

Amex biz gold card

Chase marriott card

Citi AA personal card

citi prestige

citi premier

Amex Biz SPG

I could reapp for the prestige card but I don't think the signup is that great and was considering closing the premier and PCing the prestige into a double cash. Is there any reason to keep the prestige card? I have the CSR which kinda takes care of most of the benefits. 

The amex biz spg card is really a tough one for me. I like that card and the ability to earn SPG points but I don't stay at SPG properties very often except when I redeem spg points. For awhile this was my goto card for general non-cat spend, but now I am thinking about PCing my CS card to a freedom unlimited and making that my general spend card. 

Keep in mind the 24-month opened/closed rule for the Citi TY family.

I'm likely to make my Prestige a DC, too.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would make sure to combine and close whenever you can. Smiley Happy

I have done this in 2016 and my last one this week.
It feels good to be down to good cards, and only cards I use frequently. I've noticed my rewards are stacking up much faster as well.

I have 6 cards as of today. It feels great. GL and I think you are doing a smart thing. SD cards never made sense to me
As closed cards still count towards AAOA and if you have
To remember to use them then they are more of a nusance than anything. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Amex biz gold card

Chase marriott card

Citi AA personal card

citi prestige

citi premier

Amex Biz SPG

Keep in mind the 24-month opened/closed rule for the Citi TY family.

I'm likely to make my Prestige a DC, too.

Yea that is the biggest issue for me. The current signup for the prestige card is 40k points so its not worth it, unless they come out with an amazing offer. I kept the card open for the AA lounge access but since that is going I don't plan on paying the AF again. It sucks that it will reset the bonus clock for two years but I only have like 27k TY points left. I may close the premier early since I can just reset the clock and I don't have any use for the premier card anymore now that I have the CSR for travel expenses. I just need to figure out where to dump these TY points before closing the cards. I guess I could send them to singapore airlines and then add in Amex MR points for a redemption. Anyone have any ideas of the best use of TY points which can be combined with points from other programs?

;
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.