Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28 Days Later: A CreditONE Tale

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

28 Days Later: A CreditONE Tale

I'm a rebuilder and I fell into the CreditONE trap before I found the Shangrila of Credit Info that is the MyFico Forums. I did the prequal and was approved on Jan 24th, received the "your card is in the mail" email on the 26th, and then nothing. I know cards can take a while so I didn't spazz but then I started receiving "Activate your card immedietley" emails from CreditONE. I called they said give it 3 -5 more business days, ok no problem; more agressive "activate" emails, calls back give it 3 more days; 3 days pass "Oh no you should have received it by now, I will FedEx it" "Thank you is this overnight or ground?" "Ground we dont do overnight" "Ok Thanks"; card comes overnight *Facepalm* I am at work. CreditONE has VERY strict delivery guidelines; no holding at local FedEx, no holding at FedEx distribution center, only deliver between 9am - 10:30am, can not change delivery time, can not reroute. I went through 5 diffrent levels of CS until a Sr. Manager called FedEx and even she couldn't alter company policy. I had to take off work, or let the card delivery fail 3x at which point FedEx would send it back to CreditONE and then they would reissue the card again through USPS snail mail. Luckily today was a holiday and I was home to greet FedEx but to my surprise my statementy had already closed, I have a balance ($75 AF), and it is due next Friday. This is CRAZY now if I wasn't off today I would have to had wait for the return, reissue, and by the time I would have received the card, IF I received it, it would have been after the due date and I would have a 30 day late on my account. Baby Geezus 8lb 6oz knows I don't need that headache when I am trying to build. So this is just a warning to all rebuilders or those new to credit, steer clear of CreditONE and if you have no other option be aware your billing cycle starts the day you are approved with a $75 charge. Luckily this turned out to be a cautionary drama and not a credit card horror story.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: 28 Days Later: A CreditONE Tale

Only thing left are the undeadSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 21
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Credit one can be a headache. I have a card luckily I haven’t had any issues with them. It’s getting canceled very soon.

This is why it’s important to read the terms and conditions of any card. Had you read that. You would have known that they charge a $75AF at the first statement date regardless if the card has been activated. It’s very clearly spelled out in the terms.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Shadowfactorwrote:
Credit one can be a headache. I have a card luckily I haven’t had any issues with them. It’s getting canceled very soon.

This is why it’s important to read the terms and conditions of any card. Had you read that. You would have known that they charge a $75AF at the first statement date regardless if the card has been activated. It’s very clearly spelled out in the terms.

I was going to ask the OP if he had activated his card yet and if no, tell him NOT to activate it & call instead and tell them he has changed his mind and doesn't want it, and refuses to activate it.

Perhaps they've changed their policy since then: I app'd & was approved for Credit One back in 2012. When the card arrived and I looked over those terms I just said "No, I won't do that to myself!" Yes, I knew the terms when I app'd (pre-approved mailer), but with the card staring me in face it was just more real & I changed my mind. I called and told them I had changed my mind and refuse to activate it. They were rude & nasty of course, but I was never hit with the AF, and account never reported to my CR. The only thing ever on my CR was the app HP, which fell off years ago.

Message 4 of 21
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Credit one has a ton of different terms and conditions for the exact same Visa Card.
So it’s very likely that your card came with different terms or they updated the terms.

My card came with the terms I mentioned about the annual fee being charged regardless of card activation.

I also have terms in regard to the grace period. I have no grace period per se, but it’s written in the T&C that as long as I do not have a balance on the statement closing date I will not be charged interest as long as there was no previous balance the month before.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's BS like this that makes me so happy I am finally able to close my Credit One card after 2 years. It served it's purpose as a rebuilder and now that I've got prime cards I'm kicking it to the curb.

Good luck on your rebuilding journey! 

Message 6 of 21
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

It’s posts like this that make me so freaking glad I was denied (😂😂😂😂😂) last year for Credit one.......

seriously tho, I thought it was capital one....😱😱🤪🤪🤪

my friend, I would cancel. It’s better to get a secured card.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactorwrote:

I am fully aware of the T&C and was not surprised by the $75 AF at all. I was shocked my 1st billing cycle was closed and I owed a min payment b4 I activated the card. The reason I was so caught unaware is because 1 of my many times calling in I asked when was my due date and was told "Don't worry it will be calculated after you activate the card, you don't have one yet". It will be my Netflix card until I can close it in 11 cycles

Message 8 of 21
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I wouldn’t even put a subscription on that card. I use it every 3 months for a pack of gum and pay it off the minute it posts. I advise you to do something similar. They still report to the agencies the positive payment history even if you don’t use the card every month.

I had luck calling to cancel mine after 6 months of having it and using it maybe 10 times total. They offered me my entire AF back as a statement credit if I kept it open for atleast another 60 days. So I’m just waiting that out until I cancel which will be my 8th-9th month of having the card.
Keeping it open for 30 days past the 60 day mark so however they decide to count the days I’m safe and can’t owe them any kind of money back for the statement credit. I don’t trust them.

Also always push payments with them. It avoids that annoying 7 day lag for a payment. But I do it because I know if there was ever a payment glitch on their end. They would totally say it was my fault and screw me. I trust other banks with pulled payments but not them.

Message 9 of 21
arkane
Established Contributor

CreditOne is the true Capone bank it seems. Smiley Wink

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.