Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Card Recommendation, 20 year old student, thin, clean file

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: 2nd Card Recommendation, 20 year old student, thin, clean file

@HeavenOhio wrote:

$500–1000 AMEX limits tend to be awfully hard to grow. However, I think that with a slightly longer history, the OP would likely be positioned for an AMEX card above that range.

I few first cards as burners.  all four of my test 18 year olds got low limit cards and all have grown 3x like clockwork.  the only caveat I would say is all are 90210s, all in school, all get a wad from the parents and all spend like heck on the cards.  low limit amex cards can grow just fine imo

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all, I'm getting a lot of good info here. 

I haven't ruled out BoA, but am now leaning towards a NFCU card. They don't have particularly good sign up offers or reward points that work for me, but I think it may be a good long term move. I could also use the no foreign transaction fee perk, something the BoA card doesn't offer.

Side note - I turn 21 in less than a month, so if I do go NFCU, I think I may wait until the start of Feb so that I can count my parents' income. Maybe then another offer will appear, or I can get approved for the Flagship, which would have points/perks I would use. 

@HeavenOhio, I'll see if I can convince my parents to raise that limit. They're disciplined and have a ~820 score so it doesn't seem like it could harm anything.

Message 12 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all, I'm getting a lot of good info here. 

I haven't ruled out BoA, but am now leaning towards a NFCU card. They don't have particularly good sign up offers or reward points that work for me, but I think it may be a good long term move. I could also use the no foreign transaction fee perk, something the BoA card doesn't offer.

Side note - I turn 21 in less than a month, so if I do go NFCU, I think I may wait until the start of Feb so that I can count my parents' income. Maybe then another offer will appear, or I can get approved for the Flagship, which would have points/perks I would use. 

@HeavenOhio, I'll see if I can convince my parents to raise that limit. They're disciplined and have a ~820 score so it doesn't seem like it could harm anything.

I agree with the suggestions and Navy is very good to their members. 

You mentioned adding your parents income, unless they are going to help pay your bills I tend to not recommend doing that personally, but that's just me .

You stated your income is 38K , I have seen that range get very nice limits on this forum.

Good luckSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 13 of 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

You mentioned adding your parents income, unless they are going to help pay your bills I tend to not recommend doing that personally, but that's just me .

+1

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.