Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/5 Chasing Chase trifecta.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3/5 Chasing Chase trifecta.

I’m new here first off I want to say thanks to all that have posted because I have spent hours here searching the answers. I get confused on the chase rules I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card Monday(so happy) I want to pair with the Chase Freedom and Chase Ink.  My question how long to wait before I apply?   BTW I have applied for 3 cards over the last month and half before I started reading this forum I was approved for all three Delta Platinum, CapitalOne Venture One, and Chase Sapphire Reserve. I would like to be able to use the rewards from one company (chase) as I have daughter getting married and one going to college. I am planning to pay cash for these events and want to get the reward points from all my spending. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 3/5 Chasing Chase trifecta.

With your recent app spree I would pump the brakes and let those recent approvals cool off first before tackling Chase again. Depending on how much time you have before making those future purchases I'd wait at least three months before hitting Chase up again (maybe even six months?). Try not to give Chase a reason to close you out since they can be sometimes finnicky with recently opened accounts.

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1 @simplynoir. Seeing as your CSR was just above the minimum sl they give for that card, means you might be borderline with them and they for sure will be sping your reports to see how you handling your current credit. Take your time with Chase.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks the wedding is April 13th so I’m in time crunch I can get my wife to apply I think. The only question for her is I put her on as authorized user on one card and that was dumb. 

Message 4 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok thanks the wedding is April 13th so I’m in time crunch I can get my wife to apply I think. The only question for her is I put her on as authorized user on one card and that was dumb. 

If you're on that type of time crunch I think you can hit ONE of those cards and still be safe. But I do question how getting either card will help with wedding purchases. The Freedom has quarterly categories atm that I don't see helping you with that (gas, toll and Walgreens I think?) and with such a low spend requirement for the signing bonus I find that not worth the risk. Chase Ink Cash card because of the bigger spending requirement if you're looking to make a big purchase would be more beneficial but beyond that would really be no use to you as well for the immediate future for any foreseeable wedding expenses.

And I'm assuming adding her as an AU added to her 5/24 count for you to make that comment?

Message 5 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on getting the CSR. That gets you 1 UR point on basic spend, and you build your internal score with Chase for future apps.

Why the rush to get the Freedom card? The Q1 category is gas, so unless you have a lot of vehicles, seems difficult to make this one pay this quarter.

I would stick with the cards you recently got and let the new banks get used to you. With CC, building trust with the banks over time is the best approach.

Also look at what the actual points different would be for the spend you will be making. With the Ink cards, are those categories significantly more rewarding than the 1 UR you get on CSR basic spend, plus 3 UR on travel, dining, and such? When you add up the points, I doubt regular spend makes a huge difference in the results. The SUB on the cards is enticing, but too many apps too soon is not a good recipe these days for anyone.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase Ink Card makes the most sense for me considering I spend about 1k a month on internet and cable that would get me around 3k points a month. I’m in no hurry I spend that every month I will wait maybe a 6 months to a year and establish good relationships with these banks. That is sound advice thanks.
Message 7 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP I totally agree with @simplynoir. Matter-of-the-fact, I would slam on the brakes! That’s a lot of credit seeking in a short period of time.

AA is alive and well and you don’t want to be a recipient of it.

Oh yes, and congrats on the approvals you did get.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 9
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

And congrats on the pending nuptials.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.