Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3% Cash Back Card Query

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: 3% Cash Back Card Query

@wasCB14 wrote:

SUBs may be limited if you're only looking at no-AF cash back cards. But when were they ever that great for those cards?

If you don't mind earning miles, getting AF cards, playing retention games, downgrading or closing cards, etc...there are still green pastures.

I will admit that part of this is "perception is reality" due to the fact that most cards with the highest SUB's are already in my wallet or sock drawer. I highly doubt I can get the same cards again with SUB's, especially since I have not used some of them since satisfying the SUB requirements. Even minor decreases in SUB offers are magnified if you already have the majority of the most popular cards with a high SUB. I may need to consider a name change to get back on this gravy train, because I am not under the delusion that these credit card issuers are not aware of what I am doing. It is not hard to see, even if I try to go under the radar. It might just be a sign that I might need to pull back and shoot for 3x850 fico 8 scores that I keep getting close to right as I add a couple of cards to the portfolio. I do not even really need the money I am making off these cards, but there is a bit of an addictive nature to doing so. If I were not disabled and spent a lot of time traveling, it would have certainly opened up some major SUB opportunities with cards for travel such as CSR, which are much more lucrative. Being limited to cash back reward cards, the well is drying up though, I have almost all the best ones already.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 31 of 36
JaseT
Established Contributor

There is also the BBVA ClearPoints card that gives you 3% & 2% categories of your choice (you select them each quarter). I have two of the cards so the I can have one for 3% on groceries (my Wal-Mart should qualify) and one for 3% on medical.

No annual fee, no reward limits, 0% interest for first 13 months (if you need to carry a balance). A worthwhile card to explore.

Also...While not a 3%, the new Ollo Optimum card is 2.5% back on everything, no annual fee. This one may be invite only though, not sure.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 32 of 36
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

NFCU MoreRewards soon will be something close to a 3% all around card, with no maximums. Starting Sep 9, 3% on gas, groceries, commuting, and restaurants. 

Those things that are not 3% you can usually get even more than that by using Member Deals.

Message 33 of 36
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

SUBs may be limited if you're only looking at no-AF cash back cards. But when were they ever that great for those cards?

If you don't mind earning miles, getting AF cards, playing retention games, downgrading or closing cards, etc...there are still green pastures.

I will admit that part of this is "perception is reality" due to the fact that most cards with the highest SUB's are already in my wallet or sock drawer. I highly doubt I can get the same cards again with SUB's, especially since I have not used some of them since satisfying the SUB requirements. Even minor decreases in SUB offers are magnified if you already have the majority of the most popular cards with a high SUB. I may need to consider a name change to get back on this gravy train, because I am not under the delusion that these credit card issuers are not aware of what I am doing. It is not hard to see, even if I try to go under the radar. It might just be a sign that I might need to pull back and shoot for 3x850 fico 8 scores that I keep getting close to right as I add a couple of cards to the portfolio. I do not even really need the money I am making off these cards, but there is a bit of an addictive nature to doing so. If I were not disabled and spent a lot of time traveling, it would have certainly opened up some major SUB opportunities with cards for travel such as CSR, which are much more lucrative. Being limited to cash back reward cards, the well is drying up though, I have almost all the best ones already.

In some cases point-based awards can be used in lieu of cash for purchases either directly such as for example TYP and MR on Amazon or indirectly such as MR for Home Depot gift cards.  You almost certainly wouldn't get the same potential yield as is possible with travel-related uses but in many cases with gift cards you can get 1:1 value of points e.g. 10,000 points can be exchanged for a $100 gift card or a $100 statement credit.

Also, given that you have sockdrawered cards you can also be thinking about strategies as they relate to the current state of bonus rules from common issuers and related risks vs rewards.  Research and questions would likely need to be done elsewhere as these are topics whose discussion is not welcome on this site.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 34 of 36
IncrsCreditScore
Established Contributor

Oh goodness!  You all have given me more things to think about and consider.  Thank you so much.

Message 35 of 36
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@arkane wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@arkane wrote:
If not looking to churn, then best to stagger applications so you get a new 3% card each year. I'd probably start with CFU because 5/24, and also I'm sure the promo won't last.

I doubt the promo is going anywhere. It’s cheaper for Chase to offer it than a SUB. 

It's even cheaper for them to not offer anything lol Smiley Wink

I can't remember now but the CFU either didn't use to have a SUB, or it was something insignificant like $150 for $500 or something (might be the 5% Freedom...)

I'm just saying if one does not wish to churn and the end goal is to maximize 3%, best strategy is to stagger applications by exactly one year apart. Discover It Miles has been around long enough that I don't think it'll get nerfed anytime soon, so I'd probably save it for last. Starting with CFU also makes sense if you're under 5/24 and don't want to keep track or deal with that headache later on.

So a hypothetical app ladder could look something like:

Year 1: CFU

Year 2: HSBC Cash Rewards

Year 3: Alliant VS

Year 4: Discover IT Miles

And there you have it, 4 years of 3% cards. Still not permanent but 4 years is a long enough time to wait for banks to come out with new promos. Smiley Happy

I have never considered 150 dollars on 500 spend as insignificant. Making 150 bucks for the labor of applying and putting 500 bucks on that card vs an existing card is to me far from insignificant, and with the 1.5% purchase reward added, that would actually be $157.50 of free money. There are a few cards in my SD that I got specifically for the 150 dollar bribe.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.