cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Comenity Bank Store Cards Closed with 3 days of opening???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 Comenity Bank Store Cards Closed with 3 days of opening???

@Remedios wrote:

This is not specific to just the store cards or Comenity,  some major lenders may do the same thing if there are too many apps in too short period of time. 

Most of the time though your gonna hear these nightmare stories from those two Comenity and Synchrony with their AA's.

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just worry they are going to close my existing Comenity accounts now since they closed the new. That would royally mess up my DTI
Message 12 of 35
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

This is not specific to just the store cards or Comenity,  some major lenders may do the same thing if there are too many apps in too short period of time. 

Most of the time though your gonna hear these nightmare stories from those two Comenity and Synchrony with their AA's.

Remedios is correct.  Chase, BoA, and BarclayUS are 3 examples of major issuers well-known for closing new cards tied to app sprees. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Chase and Barclay, all the time. Others, too 

Message 14 of 35
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like they saw it as a red flag and decided to close them all. Although it may look like a red flag I think they shouldn't do stuff like this and be more discipline during the application process. I would be pissed if I got 3 new open credit lines and the bank decides to close them all days after. I say call and file a complaint with a Supervisor and consider if you really want to do business with a company like that.

I am not a store card kind of guy in the first place but stories like this is the reason I will never apply for a Store Credit Card, Co Branded (VISA or MC) yes but not store specific credit cards. Mainly because of the way Comenity and Synchrony handle their portfolios. I feel that they are very picky because they are not huge banks but that's the way they do business and I will always decline a store card because of stories like this.

Its not a stores fault nor it being a store card.  It just so happens the algorithms are set to pick up on multiple credit apps especially with same lender. Besides the normal credit seeking  association of multiple apps in short period, its a good idea to check on how a lender is responding to credit apps as weve seen  the differences each year vary. Less chance of throwing away hps if one researches abit before hand though i know hindsight is 20/20Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like they saw it as a red flag and decided to close them all. Although it may look like a red flag I think they shouldn't do stuff like this and be more discipline during the application process. I would be pissed if I got 3 new open credit lines and the bank decides to close them all days after. I say call and file a complaint with a Supervisor and consider if you really want to do business with a company like that.

I am not a store card kind of guy in the first place but stories like this is the reason I will never apply for a Store Credit Card, Co Branded (VISA or MC) yes but not store specific credit cards. Mainly because of the way Comenity and Synchrony handle their portfolios. I feel that they are very picky because they are not huge banks but that's the way they do business and I will always decline a store card because of stories like this.

You know, that's why I'm actually glad that Capital One is taking over the Walmart store card later this year. I currently have two store cards (Walmart and Amazon) as well as Care Credit and PayPal 2% Cashback MC, and that's a little more exposure with one lender than I really feel perfectly comfortable with.

Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Its not a stores fault nor it being a store card.  It just so happens the algorithms are set to pick up on multiple credit apps especially with same lender. Besides the normal credit seeking  association of multiple apps in short period, its a good idea to check on how a lender is responding to credit apps as weve seen  the differences each year vary. Less chance of throwing away hps if one researches abit before hand though i know hindsight is 20/20Smiley Wink

They tend to do A LOT more than every other bank. Either way, Synchrony and Comenity will never be in my pocket.

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You know, that's why I'm actually glad that Capital One is taking over the Walmart store card later this year. I currently have two store cards (Walmart and Amazon) as well as Care Credit and PayPal 2% Cashback MC, and that's a little more exposure with one lender than I really feel perfectly comfortable with.

I agree, Capital One is going to do way better handling the Walmart Credit Cards. My wife had a Walmart Card a long time ago but we paid it off and closed it. Might consider getting one in the future now that Capital One is going to be the issuer. Bass Pro and Cabelas are also with Capital One and a few of my buddies love Capial One now.

Message 18 of 35
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The key to handling Comenity and Sync is to always PIF your cards so that if they close you down, you dont have to scramble, and diversify lenders. They have their issues as do all banks but they have their place at the credit table imoSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You got to be kidding me.  During year 2018 i had 2 credit cards moved to capitalone , now Walmart store card as well. Does anyone know how many credit cards your allowed with Capitalone? 

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.