cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Comenity Bank Store Cards Closed with 3 days of opening???

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: 3 Comenity Bank Store Cards Closed with 3 days of opening???

My minority opinion:

— Avoid store cards

— Avoid Comenity and Synchrony

— Don’t do app aprees.

Many forum members will hate this advice.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 21 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

This is not specific to just the store cards or Comenity,  some major lenders may do the same thing if there are too many apps in too short period of time. 

Agreed. In the credit world in general, things have changed which make advice you may have read before (or still read now) dated. App sprees, however small they may be, are rarely a good idea anymore with any bank. Banks have caught on to this behavior and don't react kindly to it. We've seen it from anyone from BOA ("approved in error" letters) to Comenity ("inquiries" letters) to Chase (old accounts shut down after too many new apps).

The best advice IMO has always been to take things slow and steady with credit, and that is definitely even more true in the current landscape.  Remember that the average consumer isn't opening 3 cards in a day, a week, a month, or probably even a year or several years! So 3 in a very short period makes you stand out, and not in a good way.

Message 22 of 35
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Super Contributor

The best advice IMO has always been to take things slow and steady with credit, and that is definitely even more true in the current landscape.  Remember that the average consumer isn't opening 3 cards in a day, a week, a month, or probably even a year or several years! So 3 in a very short period makes you stand out, and not in a good way.

+ 100

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i totally understand that it was risky and take it slow and so forth. My question in my post was if i should be concerned with my old accounts closing and if i should go ahead and close my relationship with Comenity since i was obv flagged.

Thank you all
Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes i totally understand that it was risky and take it slow and so forth. My question in my post was if i should be concerned with my old accounts closing and if i should go ahead and close my relationship with Comenity since i was obv flagged.

Thank you all

Nobody can tell you the answer to this because we aren’t privy to Comenity’s policies or your credit profile. 

Message 25 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If I had to guess, I'd say your old accounts will probably be ok, just lay low for a while. 

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

lay low by not using or not applying for anything including increases? 

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

No apps. PIF. 

Message 28 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

No apps with any issuers and no CLI requests from Comenity for a while 

It will pass 

Message 29 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would suggest, just refrain from any additional applications for a while, a long while.  Don't submit any [Comenity] CLI requests for at least 60 days.  You can use your cards normally, since as @Remedios mentioned above, your other Comenity accounts should be fine.  Just fly below the radar and ensure not to let your scores deteriorate or your utilization go high. 

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.