Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3% Effective Discover IT Cashback?

tag
luxlight
Regular Contributor

3% Effective Discover IT Cashback?

Hello fellow myFICOers, I was looking over an email that I got from Discover over an offer i got from them through chat and this is what the email specifically says. If I'm reading this email correctly, does this mean that I'm getting an effective 3% back on my Discover IT card?

Thank you for continuing to make Discover® card your card of choice. We are pleased to confirm that you will be earning 2% Cashback Bonus® for up to $7500 in purchases. That's up to $150 in Cashback Bonus®. This promotion will apply to new purchases starting tomorrow and will expire on 00/00/00.* Please know your promotional reward is in addition to the Cashback Bonus® you earn on all your purchases.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1-800-347-3085. You will be connected promptly with a knowledgeable U.S.-based Account Manager who will be happy to assist you or you can always visit us online at Discover.com

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: 3% Effective Discover IT Cashback?

To me, that looks like 3%

Call and ask them

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, if you're in year 1.... effectively 6% back for all categories and 14% back for bonus categories confirmed?
Message 3 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So, if you're in year 1.... effectively 6% back for all categories and 14% back for bonus categories confirmed?

OP's signature says the card was opened in August 2017. If accurate, the first year has ended.

"Cashback Bonus®" is the name of Discover's cash back rewards program.

"2% Cashback Bonus® for up to $7500 in purchases" does not mean "a 2% bonus in excess of a base 1%". It means "temporarily 2% instead of 1%".

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, firstly, I was mostly joking. Secondly, "This promotion will apply to new purchases starting tomorrow and will expire on 00/00/00.* Please know your promotional reward is in addition to the Cashback Bonus® you earn on all your purchases." Seems to suggest to me that it's 2% on top of whatever the purchase would already earn.
Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The dreaded Penfed 00/00/00Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 8
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Haha not quite. I got this offer a little after i had reached my first year on the card and the cashback bonus ended. 

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 7 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, firstly, I was mostly joking. Secondly, "This promotion will apply to new purchases starting tomorrow and will expire on 00/00/00.* Please know your promotional reward is in addition to the Cashback Bonus® you earn on all your purchases." Seems to suggest to me that it's 2% on top of whatever the purchase would already earn.

I must have misread it earlier, or the OP was updated.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.