Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 Days Past Due on Credit Report - chase freedom card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

30 Days Past Due on Credit Report - chase freedom card

I accidentally forgot to make my minimum payment for just a month. (40 days or so total) just an oversight as I thought I had signed up for autpayments. Anyway - I have a perfect track record with the credit card up to this point. I checked on my credit score and they did already report 30 days past due to the credit bureaus.

Is there anything I can do to get my credit card company to delete the 30 days past due. I still have a balance but I doubt that offering to pay it off in full is any leverage since they make money on the interest.

Any help would be appreciated! Im looking to refi in 6 months and I know this could impact my overall score. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 30 Days Past Due on Credit Report - chase freedom card

@Anonymous wrote:

I accidentally forgot to make my minimum payment for just a month. (40 days or so total) just an oversight as I thought I had signed up for autpayments. Anyway - I have a perfect track record with the credit card up to this point. I checked on my credit score and they did already report 30 days past due to the credit bureaus.

Is there anything I can do to get my credit card company to delete the 30 days past due. I still have a balance but I doubt that offering to pay it off in full is any leverage since they make money on the interest.

Any help would be appreciated! Im looking to refi in 6 months and I know this could impact my overall score. 

Hi karinne07, and welcome! Smiley Happy

That new 30 day late has definitely impacted your credit score, though to what degree will depend on y our entire credit profile. A new one is going to hurt  a lot, at least for a while, though. You'll want to call Chase, and plead your case (aka, ask for a "goodwill" adjustment). Honestly, I would PIF in that scenario, so as to take away any doubts that they may have about your ability to pay/financial standing. And then, state your circumstances as you've stated them here. It was an honest mistake, and that you're planning to refinance, and that you've remedied the situation by making certain to set-up for auto bill pay going forward.

And then steel yourself for a few "No can do's". It's possible that you'll find a forgiving decision-maker the first time around, but it's more likely that you'll have to endure a few frustrations first. Don't get angry, don't threaten, don't quit! Remember that you're seeking goodwill, and forge ahead. If at first you don't succeed... try, again, and again, and again.

Good Luck! I hope they take care of it for you!

Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would try calling Chase and explaining the situation. Also send them a letter.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

Have whoeveryou talk to escalate to a supervisor. They will be able to help you out. You made an honest mistake so Im sure they will be lenient.

Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@CS800 wrote:

Have whoeveryou talk to escalate to a supervisor. They will be able to help you out. You made an honest mistake so Im sure they will be lenient.

+1

Beg, grovel. (Not in a fake way; you're asking them to break the rules of their credit bureau membership.)

Tell them that you thought that you had auto payments set up, that you now realize that you should have double-checked for sure, and that you have done ___________ (fill in the blank) to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Ideally, this will be something more than auto payments alone. I would definitely sign up for e-mail reminders, although I wouldn't pay for a payment protection plan if I could help it.

If this is your only negative (remember that they can verify this, so be honest), say how horrified you are, and that your FICO score is getting hammered (you probably just lost 50 points, I'm afraid, although they'll come back over time), and ask if there is any way that they can pull back the reporting as a ONE-TIME courtesy to a good customer.

It is entirely possible as CS800 mentioned that the front-line phone-picker-upper won't be able to help you. You might even get the "It's against the law to change it" bit. (They are taught this, and they do believe it.) So do ask to be escalated to a supe if the first person can't help you.

You may wind up being told that they will remove it after 6 months of no problems. If that's the best that you can do, you might as well take it. Hope you weren't/ aren't in the market for something new in credit-land for a while.

For anyone else reading, this is a sad reminder of the perils of relying on automatic payments. They're a partial form of protection, but Stuff does happen. Always good to take a belt-and-suspenders approach to making sure that your payments are timely.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

Hauling thats so true. If your report is spotless, a single 30 day can ding you bad.

I'm too paranoid to rely on auto payments. As a habit I spend about 15 minutes loggi on to my accounts everyday to make sure I havent missed anything (even though I know it couldnt possibly change everyday) but I never ever want to be late again.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

this has been some really great advice - I'm going to try pleading on the phone and speaking with a supervisor and seeing where I can get. I dont mind the 6 months thing (and then them removing it).

Is it just always bettter to call? I had thought about disputing it directly with my credit bureaus - is this a bad idea? OR a back up option if I get nowhere with the cc issuer?

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

this has been some really great advice - I'm going to try pleading on the phone and speaking with a supervisor and seeing where I can get. I dont mind the 6 months thing (and then them removing it).

Is it just always bettter to call? I had thought about disputing it directly with my credit bureaus - is this a bad idea? OR a back up option if I get nowhere with the cc issuer?

A dispute means that there is something there that is inaccurate. They aren't updating your balance to $0; they have the wrong opening date; the whole account is missing; etc.

If you have a late payment, and it shows on your reports, then it's accurate (although painful.) Disputing won't do any good: it will just come back as yep, you were late, and it's also a great way to get labeled as a "frivolous disputer', so that even when you have a legitimate gripe, they'll blow you off.

When you are GW'ing, you are admitting that yes, you were at fault, and here's what you've put in place to make sure that it never happens again, and will they please, please, please, cut you some slack and cease reporting the late.

It's like screwing up with your GF/BF. If you really did something wrong, you're not going to get anywhere by blustering and pretending that it never happened. You'll need to apologize, and admit that you were an idiot, and promise that you'll never do it again. AKA, grovel.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Good luck with trying to get Chase to remove something negative. My CR on EX was messed up by Experian and Chase CLDed me. After getting my CR fixed, Chase was extremely slow to restore my CL and report something positive on my CR. I know everyone says YMMV but seriously that applies in this case. I personally would find it to be an act of God if Chase were to be kind and remove that info from your CR.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 9 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't want to dispute it as it is accurate infprmation. I think if you speak to chase and explain you had thought it was set on auto pay they should be able to work with you.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.