cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(334)868-4760 Lower interest rates on CC's scam?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(334)868-4760 Lower interest rates on CC's scam?

Got a call from (334) 868-4760 (Alabama number) to lower interest rates on my credit cards.  Said they have looked at my Experian report and seen that I make ll my payments on time.  THey also said they work with Chase, Discover, Visa, Amex etc etc.  They offered to lower my interest rates from 0-3%.  The cards themselves don't even offer interest rates that low.  Has anyone else received a call from these guys before?  In my mind it has to be a scam.  Wouldn't the issuer be the one calling me?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: (334)868-4760 Lower interest rates on CC's scam?

No, never got a call but it sounds scam to me. I would stay away and not give any information to them. As a matter of fact I would never pick up a call from that number again
Message 2 of 19
happypill
Valued Contributor

I don't know about that specific number but I have received similar calls and yes, it is a scam.

I decided to have some fun with one a while back.  After I answered, they identified themselves as "card services" or something like that and said they could lower my interest rate.  I asked "which card", and they just said "we're with card services".  Then I asked, "which bank", and they kept repeating "card services".  Finally, the rep got mad, yelled something and hung up.

Be very very very wary of anyone that calls you up with an offer, and obviously if someone does call you they should be able to identify who they are with.  There isn't some all-knowing all-powerful credit entity out there that can lower your APR on cards with every bank.

Message 3 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah Ceez, sounds fishy and you know what they ssy, if it smells like a fish, swims like a fish, and calls you to lower all your aprs without you even inquiring about it.......... CALL LONG JOHN SILVER!!!!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This confirms it to be a scam:

http://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-334-868-4760

Message 5 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This confirms it to be a scam:

http://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-334-868-4760

It can come from a variety of numbers, numbers on caller ID are pretty worthless for scam prevention (I quite often get calls that appear to come from the phone being called).   But yes, this is a very well known scam and has been mentioned hear several times.    In cases of hardship, a third party (preferably non-profit) can attempt to negotiate with your issuers to have a lower APR, but not on a cold call like this.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a scam.  They're calling from outside the country so any do-not-call registry is ignored, and the number is spoofed so if you call back you're likely to get a "phone line not in service" message.  I got 3 of them just this week.  From 347-517-8048 (NY), 484-223-3324 (PA), and 207-512-4446 (ME).

I love trolling those scam artists and finding ways to keep them on the line to waste their time as they waste mine (had one stay on for 9 minutes while I "looked for" my credit card number), but the last one they transferred in a sex talk hotline after a few minutes of hold.  I was out trolled.

There's no stopping them, even if you push the number they say for their internal do-not-call lists they call right back.  Don't bother blocking the number either as they will call again from an entirely different number.  They come in waves though, they'll eventually die down.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP was smart to check on this first, probably a lot of folks just take the bait. You would have to be a special kind of stupid to hand out your SSN to a random cold caller promising to 'lower your rate'.
Message 8 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Haha, lol " special kind of stupid" .... true but will always be , otherwise scams wouldnt workSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
OP was smart to check on this first, probably a lot of folks just take the bait. You would have to be a special kind of stupid to hand out your SSN to a random cold caller promising to 'lower your rate'.

I have actually received calls twice now that wanted to reduce my interest rate.  I steadily gave this guy a load of crap until he hung up on me.  Told him how *&cking stupid do you think I am, the cards don't even offer a rate as low as you say you can make it.  Go back study the card rates and do your homework first before you call me back next time.  Maybe then, just maybe I'll bite...

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.