cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Chase Ink Card - What to get next?

tag
bearhawks1

3rd Chase Ink Card - What to get next?

I made a post awhile back detailing my journey so just wanted to give an update :

9/17/21:

Chase Freedom Flex - $21,000 SL

-I got the 30 day message when I first applied, so I called the recon line in order to get the approval. It took over 30 days to finally get a response from Chase that I was approved. I was estatic finally getting my first Chase card.

10/23/21

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $24,400 SL

-I kind of applied for the CSP on a whim and was surprisingly approved right away.

12/7/21

Amazon Prime Rewards - $15,000 SL

-I also got the 30 day message for this card, but a few days later got the approval message. I didn't need to call the recon line at all.

At this point I thought that I might be opening cards to quickly, and was advised by this community to wait at least 3-6 months between opening cards. Before getting my first Chase card I made it all the way down to 1/24. After getting the Amazon card I was at 4/24 and figured I should take a shot at getting some business cards before I hit the 5/24 mark again. 4 months had passed since first getting the Flex card, so I figured they wouldn't be closing my card after the fact due to me opening more Chase cards so close together.

1/15/22

Chase Ink Cash - $7000 SL

-I had just started establishing business credit in November and got 2 BOA business cards to start out in December, along with the Amex Business Platinum. Since I was finally getting approved for business cards I figured I should take a shot at this. Originally I got the 30 day message in an email after applying, but got a follow up emailing telling me I was approved a day or two later.

2/9/22

Chase Ink Unlimited - $12,000 SL

-At this point I feel like I'm really pushing it with opening my 5th Chase account in 5 months. This was the first one that I opened less than a month following the previous Chase card.

7/25/22

Chase Ink Preferred - $23,000

-After a few denied applications (reason given was high inquiries, recent card open with chase, and high balanceo on chase cards) I went ahead and paid off my two Ink cards that I was using the 0% interest on, and got some iquriries removed from my reports. I applied, and got a letter saying they need to verify my info due to a fraud alert on my report. I called and over the phone was able to get approval finally for a much higher limit then my first two Ink cards.

My question now is, what to do next? I got all 3 ink cards and the Chase personal cards I mainly wanted but still sit at 4/24. In January I will drop to 3/24. What last chase cards should I target before going on an app spree with other companies and leaving the days of 5/24 in the past?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: 3rd Chase Ink Card - What to get next?

Congrats on your 6 Chase credit cards but why are you limiting yourself to Chase? I understand that you have 2 business cards with BoA but I would garden for a period of time then seek other financial institutions . . . just my two cents!!! Smiley Wink

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 11
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Currently, I am just stuck on the fact that you ROCKED-IT with Chase...
Congratulations!!!
So, what else do you want concerning Business credit?

Provide the community with some detailed DPs :
Scores, previous inquiries before applying for the above, intended goals, type ofr businesse(s)... you name it!

We can reply based on what you give us and what you are striving towards. Aside from that, go Amex and multiple SPs!

Message 3 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@bearhawks1 wrote:

I made a post awhile back detailing my journey so just wanted to give an update :

9/17/21:

Chase Freedom Flex - $21,000 SL

-I got the 30 day message when I first applied, so I called the recon line in order to get the approval. It took over 30 days to finally get a response from Chase that I was approved. I was estatic finally getting my first Chase card.

10/23/21

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $24,400 SL

-I kind of applied for the CSP on a whim and was surprisingly approved right away.

12/7/21

Amazon Prime Rewards - $15,000 SL

-I also got the 30 day message for this card, but a few days later got the approval message. I didn't need to call the recon line at all.

At this point I thought that I might be opening cards to quickly, and was advised by this community to wait at least 3-6 months between opening cards. Before getting my first Chase card I made it all the way down to 1/24. After getting the Amazon card I was at 4/24 and figured I should take a shot at getting some business cards before I hit the 5/24 mark again. 4 months had passed since first getting the Flex card, so I figured they wouldn't be closing my card after the fact due to me opening more Chase cards so close together.

1/15/22

Chase Ink Cash - $7000 SL

-I had just started establishing business credit in November and got 2 BOA business cards to start out in December, along with the Amex Business Platinum. Since I was finally getting approved for business cards I figured I should take a shot at this. Originally I got the 30 day message in an email after applying, but got a follow up emailing telling me I was approved a day or two later.

2/9/22

Chase Ink Unlimited - $12,000 SL

-At this point I feel like I'm really pushing it with opening my 5th Chase account in 5 months. This was the first one that I opened less than a month following the previous Chase card.

7/25/22

Chase Ink Preferred - $23,000

-After a few denied applications (reason given was high inquiries, recent card open with chase, and high balanceo on chase cards) I went ahead and paid off my two Ink cards that I was using the 0% interest on, and got some iquriries removed from my reports. I applied, and got a letter saying they need to verify my info due to a fraud alert on my report. I called and over the phone was able to get approval finally for a much higher limit then my first two Ink cards.

My question now is, what to do next? I got all 3 ink cards and the Chase personal cards I mainly wanted but still sit at 4/24. In January I will drop to 3/24. What last chase cards should I target before going on an app spree with other companies and leaving the days of 5/24 in the past?

You're kidding us, right? Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 11
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

WooHoo!! Congratulations on your 6th Chase Approval!!👏🏼🍾🥂

Message 5 of 11
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I would just like to relay my past experience with Chase.

I had 5 Chase CC's....all PIF....never late...etc.

Good FICO scores and income.

They did an internal review and determined my exposure was too much during the downturn in 2009 and closed all accounts.

Wouldn't even leave one open when inquired.

I'd be very wary of having that many CC's with any lender.

More so since you have stated some of those cards were denials at first and had to reapply when you met certain milestones in your credit profile.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 6 of 11
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@jaxstraw wrote:

I would just like to relay my past experience with Chase.

I had 5 Chase CC's....all PIF....never late...etc.

Good FICO scores and income.

They did an internal review and determined my exposure was too much during the downturn in 2009 and closed all accounts.

Wouldn't even leave one open when inquired.

I'd be very wary of having that many CC's with any lender.

More so since you have stated some of those cards were denials at first and had to reapply when you met certain milestones in your credit profile.

Interesting points.

I've got 7 cards with them now, so many they condense the view when I log in.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 11
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I know from experience a Chase run is nice. I picked up 4 cards with them (CFU, CSP, CF, WoH) in the span of 1 year back in 2019-20 but haven't picked up another personal card since that time.

When it came to business I decided to get Amazon and Marriott over on AMEX rather than Chase and also the BBP. AMEX Marriott has a better earning rate than the Chase products. Amazon is a 5% card in both the Chase and AMEX versions. For the Chase Ink cards I decided to just stick to the no-AF cards. For the Ink Business Preferred I felt like it was duplicative of CSP with the same AF. I guess the Ink Business Preferred does give you 3x when you buy travel but you don't get the 10x on hotels and rental cars like you do with the CSR. The spend requirement is also really high for their bonus (100k poins for 15k spend).

I've got the IHG card coming in and that may be one of the last ones I get from Chase (Unless they make a 10x hotel business card). High bonus as its a new card, high in property earning rate (26x) and some hotel status to go along with it. It was a better option than an airline card with 2x earning rates. Ideally I think I'd want to pick up a 2% business card and just run my spend through that just to get something and then pay them off with revenues or a business line of credit.

I would try to get away from personal cards as much as what I can because of its impact on your utilization (ultimately your credit score) and I would also focus on long term utility of the cards you are picking up over the SUB. One of the nice things about Chase cards is they often have 5x promotions on them. At the moment I have 5x Groceries on the WoH so it does encourage you to use it. I also have the promotion on gas but I am 5x gas with the CFF so I'd rather earn regular Chase points with that.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 8 of 11
bearhawks1

Mainly because I was above 5/24 for so many years and finally commited to gardening and made it to 1/24 back in September when I got my first chase card. I sit at 4/24 now so I was just focusing on getting all the Chase Ink cards I wanted, and will use that last spot for a last Chase personal card before I move on from Chase for awhile. 

Message 9 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@bearhawks1 wrote:

Mainly because I was above 5/24 for so many years and finally commited to gardening and made it to 1/24 back in September when I got my first chase card. I sit at 4/24 now so I was just focusing on getting all the Chase Ink cards I wanted, and will use that last spot for a last Chase personal card before I move on from Chase for awhile. 

Well I can't see why you should be looking for anything else. With your current lineup, you're deep into the UR ecosystem, with 5 of your 6 Chase cards feeding into it.  I can't see the value in adding any more core cards.

It seems to me that getting a cobranded travel card would merely water down your ability to build and work with UR's.  But then again, I'm not a travel card expert.  So perhaps you will hear from some of the folks who are.  But I would say that you have given us little information on which other Chase cards might be of value to you.

Since you're actually looking for a personal card at this point, I would suggest that you ask the moderators to move this to "Credit Cards", where you will get more eyes on it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.