Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Credit AMA [Ask Me Anything] Live with User KDM 31091

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: 3rd Credit AMA [Ask Me Anything] Live with User KDM 31091

I have certainly gone through some cards and lenders haha.

Favorite lender? Probably Discover. Card has grown a lot over time with ZERO hard pulls, and the APR has come down. Rewards are good. I wish they displayed the tracking of rewards more transparently, but that's a minor gripe that's unlikely to bother anyone in the real world.  Real, human, US based customer service every time.

Least favorite? Hate to say it, probably Citi. I have a Double Cash, in the SD. Will probably eventually close it (for the second time). I just can't get happy about the reward system, and again, the tracking is fairly poor. Anytime I call them, I get someone who speaks garbled English and doesn't understand me, so unless I resort to calling EO about each and every thing, it's kind of frustrating. I would PC it when I could, but there's nothing to PC it to that would work for me.

I don't have a Chase card other than the AU Disney at this point but I am not a huge fan of them, honestly, and find them a bit overhyped. They never lower anyone's APR, excellent history notwithstanding, rarely give SP CLIs, almost never offer any special spending perks or promos -- in short, they don't act like they really care about keeping anyone's business.

I eat out more than I should, so I would have liked a 5x dining Forward, even though thankyou points aren't always worth 1cpp. Alas, now that's being killed for existing users, so I can't say there's anything left out there I really am mad I missed out on.

Message 21 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey KDM,

2 Questions....

1.   If someone had to get a credit card, what 3 companies would you suggest them looking into? Based on customer service,loyalty, and overall great rep with keeping their customer happy?  Obviously Discover was your first real card so I'm assuming you are partial to them.

2.  Who is your favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? 

I used to work as a manager in retail clothing back in the day so I know how crazy that can be.  Hopefully you are paid much better than I ever was!

Message 22 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

My other question is, how did you discover myFICO?

Message 23 of 80
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey KDM,

2 Questions....

1.   If someone had to get a credit card, what 3 companies would you suggest them looking into? Based on customer service,loyalty, and overall great rep with keeping their customer happy?  Obviously Discover was your first real card so I'm assuming you are partial to them.

I used to work as a manager in retail clothing back in the day so I know how crazy that can be.  Hopefully you are paid much better than I ever was!

Discover is a solid choice for a first lender IMO. You will not tend to get a huge limit starting off, but they seem to grow with people over time.

Capital One is a great lender to start with. I do not, personally, find them as appealing for a long-term lender once your profile is established, as they are not very customer friendly (APR reductions/manual CLIs involve teeth pulling and EO emailing), and the frontline CSRs are terrible. So once you establish yourself, best to cut the ties with them, IMO (again, just my opinion, others love them).

Bank of America is another good, solid lender. Their cards are not the top of the top for earning (unless you get Preferred Rewards), but they also don't make everything such a pain in the behind. Relatively simple APR reductions. You do have to take HP for CLI, but they tend  to be generous if you qualify. A few months ago, I started banking with them and got a World Wildlife cash rewards visa. Not the best card in the world for earning, again, but goes  to a good cause (animals).

I discovered myfico from a google search trying to find a way to get my credit reports, and then stumbled upon the forums. Although I've had some controversial times on here, I do really try to give honest advice and hope it benefits people.

Message 24 of 80
ddemari
Super Contributor

Hi KDM, very interesting that your mom is an analyst! I know how you feel about app sprees and apping for cards you don't need. I totally understand your viewpoint, but if you could just throw caution to the air, what card out there right now sparks your most interest?
Message 25 of 80
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
Hi KDM, very interesting that your mom is an analyst! I know how you feel about app sprees and apping for cards you don't need. I totally understand your viewpoint, but if you could just throw caution to the air, what card out there right now sparks your most interest?

I'd really like to see a solid dining cash back card. IMO, there's a real lack in the market. Some people don't mind, but I would just feel silly carrying around an AARP branded card at age 25. Unfortunately, it offers the best permanent cash back on all dining available at the moment (3%).

So at  the moment, no real urges to app for anything even if I wanted to be less conservative. That said, if a really nice dining card comes out, I would consider it. 3% just isn't enough of a leap to be worth the AARP thing, for me anyway. It's all psychological though; many people don't care.

Message 26 of 80
redpat
Senior Contributor

Hi KDM, 25, never would have thought that one, posts I have read I thought 40 - 45 or older, lol!

What are your thoughts of Amex and annual fees?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 27 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Who is your favorite issuer and why?

If you could have any nerfed or discontinued card, what would it be?

KDM, don't forget this one.

Message 28 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey KDM,

2 Questions....

Discover is a solid choice for a first lender IMO. You will not tend to get a huge limit starting off, but they seem to grow with people over time.

Capital One is a great lender to start with. I do not, personally, find them as appealing for a long-term lender once your profile is established, as they are not very customer friendly (APR reductions/manual CLIs involve teeth pulling and EO emailing), and the frontline CSRs are terrible. So once you establish yourself, best to cut the ties with them, IMO (again, just my opinion, others love them).

Bank of America is another good, solid lender. Their cards are not the top of the top for earning (unless you get Preferred Rewards), but they also don't make everything such a pain in the behind. Relatively simple APR reductions. You do have to take HP for CLI, but they tend  to be generous if you qualify. A few months ago, I started banking with them and got a World Wildlife cash rewards visa. Not the best card in the world for earning, again, but goes  to a good cause (animals).

I discovered myfico from a google search trying to find a way to get my credit reports, and then stumbled upon the forums. Although I've had some controversial times on here, I do really try to give honest advice and hope it benefits people.

Thanks for the info!   Didn't know much about BOA so appreciate the info.   Always heard good things about Discover so def will be adding them at some point too.

Message 29 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Who is your favorite issuer and why?

If you could have any nerfed or discontinued card, what would it be?

KDM, don't forget this one.

I think we are asking so many questions and it is probably a bit hard to follow... He answered it in another post in the threadSmiley Happy..

Message 30 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.