Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/24 before Chase approval and then 6/24 once Amex reports to CBs

tag
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

4/24 before Chase approval and then 6/24 once Amex reports to CBs

Does anybody know or has experienced any issues with Chase approving a credit card even though a new Amex account hasn't reported yet? When Chase did the hard pull, it showed 4/25 at the time.  I heard that Chase does soft pulls periodically after you open an account with them..potentially detecting it was technically over 5/24 at the time of the chase approval or if it doesn’t matter as long as you don’t have 5/24 reporting at the time of the pull?  I was pre approved at a chase branch (the card was approved) even though my new Amex hadn't hit my report yet....just worried about potential issues once my Amex reports to the CBs.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: 4/24 before Chase approval and then 6/24 once Amex reports to CBs

While I've not seen any recently, there have been some reports of Chase closing accounts if someone "app spreed" after (or around the time of) getting a Chase card. There may have been other factors, too.

I'd say account closure is unlikely...but yes, it is possible and has happened in more extreme cases.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The SP happens 1-3 weeks later. If timed right, chase won't know until an AR and they won't notice or care unless you do something to make them look closer.

Message 3 of 10
importxpresions
Regular Contributor

As others have said above it's possible. However, I won't lose sleep over it.

Current:

Mortgage applications waiting for market to calm down
Message 4 of 10
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Make sure the rest of your profile is in order. High utilization and any score dips would be some things I would make sure are not an issue.

Message 5 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It really depends if there are conditions set at approval, and if Chase opted to receive alerts on the account. 

Your approval was kinda borderline,  so I dont think Chase is going to sweat it. 

If you were approved for CSP/CSR, or any of Freedoms with high limit, I'd say SPs are very likely, but I dont think that's going to happen in your case. 

Message 6 of 10
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

Thanks for your insight.  I didn't have any intention to apply since I knew I was technically at 5/24.  When I went in to the branch, the banker had informed me that I was pre-approved for all their cards.  I remember hearing that these branch pre-approvals bypassed the 5/24 and was curious if I would even be approved.  I was previously declined for their CSP. I asked to submit the Sapphire Reserve (SL 10k) and it was approved.  After the excitement leveled out and thinking about it days later, (being a worry wart) I would imagine it would be okay if the system saw the new AMEX account on the report, knowing that it was at 5/24 and approved it.....but since my AMEX wasn't listed on my report at that time, I don't want them to think I added another new account after getting approved for the Chase card. :/

Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You'll be fine. Just dont apply for anything else right now, and use your new card like you normally would. 

Message 8 of 10
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

Thank you for your words!!!  It helps with the reassurance Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

Yes! My credit utilization is currently below 5% and all my loans are paid off. I won't be doing anything that should be affecting my credit report/scores in the short term.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.