Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Inquiries

tag
Goose7
Valued Member

4 Inquiries

I have 4 Inquiries in the past two years..When is it safe to apply for a new card?
my AAOA is 9 Months and my oldest card is 11 Months. I was going to hold off from applying for new cards until May which is a month after my secured card turns one year.
Here are my inquiries;

Chase -          09/13/11
Sprint -           10/22/11

Wells Fargo -  04/06/12

Best Buy -      07/03/12

My two cards if it helps
WF Secured                   04/08/12       $300
Macy's                           08/01/12       $1000

Utilization - <1%

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: 4 Inquiries

I think that your plan is solid. At the one year mark, you should be ok to apply for a couple cards. Do you know your credit scores?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 17
CreditAce
New Contributor

As far as inquiries go I think you're fine. They don't factor into your FICO score after 1 year although they remain on your CR for 2 years. I agree that you should wait until your WF card hits a year before applying. What cards are you interested in?

Message 3 of 17
Goose7
Valued Member

I'm sorry but I don't know my FICO scores.
and all I really have in mind is the American Express (Green or Gold) card.
I'm hoping that my WF gets graduated and at least be given a modest CLI

Message 4 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

If your looking for just an AMEX charge card I think you would be fine now to app if you like.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 17
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
If your looking for just an AMEX charge card I think you would be fine now to app if you like.

I agree, they are easy to get approved for if you have no baddies

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

what is the point of a AMEX charge card? if it doesnt report a CL? is it just so you can get your foot in with them and then get a revolver? Havent quite gotten the point of having one. Thanks

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 17
Phizzle
New Contributor

Charge cards don't report a limit and don't factor in to utilization; additionally, you have to pay in full (helps build discipline if you need), and some find great value in the benefits some of the cards offer.

OP - I am borderline on approval with your length of history being short, but I do feel the others saying you'll get it are probably right. If you don't have to have it now, waiting until that one year mark hits may better secure your chances.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Message 8 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

what is the point of a AMEX charge card? if it doesnt report a CL? is it just so you can get your foot in with them and then get a revolver? Havent quite gotten the point of having one. Thanks

Pretty much that.

And the rewards. Certain charge cards like the Platinum and premier rewards gold have very nice benefits if you travel (free hotel upgrades, etc).

to the OP:

Wait till your WF hits 1 year. Ask them to unsecure it. WF is pretty easy to work with as long as your account status is good. Then feel free and apply for other cards. I don't think you will have any issues getting amex charge cards.

Before you apply, check your scores (even if its FAKO) to see which ballpark you are in right now so you can guesstimate your chances.

I think the green, gold  and platinum have very similar requirements with the exception of different income levels requirements

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 17
HappySoda
Valued Member

I personally think that if your score is 680 or so you can get in with Discover. If you are 700+, I think, even without a year, you will be approved (low limit). I would probably avoid banks like Citi and BofA as they tend to be prudish about lending. Do you bank with Chase? You can try for a freedom if you bank with them and they are likely to approve with maybe a 500 or 1000 limit. I think you have a good shot.

There's a few people here who were approved at 6 months going the secured route and no baddies on report. Your inquiries don't matter much after 6 months.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.