cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 hours to use Amex gold airline fee credit? Yes or no?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 hours to use Amex gold airline fee credit? Yes or no?

So I will be getting me card 8pm central time on 31st, I plan to activate it, log in online, select delta as my 2018 airline and buy 2x50 certificates.

Then on 1st, i get to select delta again as my 2019 airline and buy 2 more 50 usd certificates.

Does this plan sounds alright? Or am I missing anything?
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 4 hours to use Amex gold airline fee credit? Yes or no?

One issue you *may* have is buying on the 12/31 doesn't mean that charge is going to post 12/31.  If your charge post say 1/1 or 1/2 you just may be out of luck as it relates to the double dip.

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I suspect that this is exctly what will happen. If someone were after this double dip, they should have apped sooner. At least no later than he 15th giving ample time to receive the card make the purchase and allowing time for it to post. Especially due to the Holiday bog in shipping.

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, thanks for the info.

I will just buy 2x 50 certificates and wait until it posts before deciding if double dipping is doable.

Would not be this tight had amex's expedited processing actually worked. Lol
Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you receive the electronic card numbers at the time of approval?  If so, you should proceed with adding the card to your AmEx portal and then select the airline of your choice in the membership rewards.  A chat rep may need to assist you with adding the card to your portal if the system doesn't permit you... but there is a "add card" section in your existing AmEx portal. However, since you already have an AmEx card you should be able to log it tonight.

My understanding is "the system" does a sweep of the airline enrollment and corresponding purchases.  There may be a timing issue on AmEx acknowleding your airline selection before you make the purchase.  So when it usually only takes a few business days for the awarding of the credit there could be a delay before it the purchase is acknowledged and then credited.  As most people select their airline and then several days later make the GC purchase and those that select the AA then purchase the GC immediately may experience credit delays, YMMV..

In 2019 your airine selection should default to the 2018 selection, unless you need to change airlines.  BTW- Delta only allows 3 giftcards used during a flight purchase but American for instance permits 8 cards to be used.  Just FYI, of course select what works for you.

Nothing is guaranteed ( and no one to complain to if it doesn't work..) with the tight margins on the 2018 calendar and the weekend/holiday but good luck.   

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

I do have electronic card, but I can't add it to my online account, it always pop an error msg. I didn't think about calling csr to add the card for me at the time, and it's now almost new year and I'm out of the country.

I think I m just gonna let it run its course and see how it goes.

But thanks for the recommendation of calling csr. I should have done that, lol.
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

im currently out of the state and was approved for amex gold 4 days ago. talked to CS via chat to select an airline then used the electronic version to buy giftcards. 

The card currently in my mail box, and i wont know if it worked until mid January

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, chated with Amex, CSR can't add card to my account since I don't have it or my ED with me, but she selected delta for me.

I then just bought 2x50 egift, we shall see how it works out, lol

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright, chated with Amex, CSR can't add card to my account since I don't have it or my ED with me, but she selected delta for me.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy

Worth a shot, IMO.

Message 9 of 33
drave199
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Im in the same boat. I just applied today however and never got a temp number. I called and they said that I could only make purchases with the card after i physically recieved it. Im was hoping to get in the $100 for 2018 as well but apprently thats not gonna happen. Am i screwed or is there a way around it?

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.