Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% BT Fees now???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% BT Fees now???

I am a month of gardening away from applying for credit cards.  I noticed while shopping for cards that most/all have a 5% balance transfer fee.  in the past, it seemed the standard was 3%.

are there any good BT cards out there that still offer 3%?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: 5% BT Fees now???

All of the offers I've gotten from BoA, Chase, Cap One, Elan and PenFed have been 3% or less. (One was 2% but I can't remember which.)

Message 2 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ChargedUp wrote:

All of the offers I've gotten from BoA, Chase, Cap One, Elan and PenFed have been 3% or less. (One was 2% but I can't remember which.)

2% most likely FNBO

Message 3 of 18
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I have also been seeing more 5% fee offers recently. It's annoying.

Just curious, why are you aiming for 3% instead of lower? Value Penguin lists the following cards with zero BT fee: 

• Choice Rewards World Mastercard® from First Tech FCU
  • Navy Federal Credit Union GO REWARDS® Credit Card
  • Navy Federal Platinum Credit Card
  • Edward Jones World Mastercard®
  • Wings Visa® Platinum Card
  • Navy Federal nRewards® Secured Credit Card
  • SunTrust Prime Rewards Card

(Not sure why they chose just three Navy cards; all of them have no fee BTs.)

Message 4 of 18
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a month of gardening away from applying for credit cards.  I noticed while shopping for cards that most/all have a 5% balance transfer fee.  in the past, it seemed the standard was 3%.

I can't speak for *new* customers/accounts, but all of my current BT offers are 3% or less. That includes BofA, Amex, Citi, Cap1 (at a ridiculous 13.99% interest!), Discover and others.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

2-3% is typical.. Some greedy lenders out there more-so Discover recently trying to get 4-5% when they use to be one of the lower ones.  

Message 6 of 18
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't speak for *new* customers/accounts, but all of my current BT offers are 3% or less. That includes BofA, Amex, Citi, Cap1 (at a ridiculous 13.99% interest!), Discover and others.

Cap One incessantly reminds me I have a 0%/12 months/3% BT fee offer on Savor.

Message 7 of 18
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap One incessantly reminds me I have a 0%/12 months/3% BT fee offer on Savor.

At least that's not insulting! They incessantly remind me of my FOURTEEN percent BT offer--which I wouldn't accept under any but the most dire circumstances. The kicker is that their incessant reminders always tell me to "save on HIGH INTEREST credit card debt!" with this great offer--the only thing is, any card currently carrying a balance is at 0% interest! I fail to see how a 14% offer can beat 0%.... but, whatever! *SMH*

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 18
JNA1
Valued Contributor

If you are in the their geofence, Synovus offers 0% BT for 12 months with BT fees. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are plenty of credit union cards that have NO balance transfer fee at all, and many have no cash advance fee either.

Look for credit unions that offer non-rewards platinum cards with low interest, no balance transfer fee, and no cash advance fee.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.