cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% CB for GEICO, which card?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@Wavester64 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Given "the goal" cards in OPs signature, applying for a new account would postpone meeting those goals by another year. 

Chase isn't happening because of new accounts,, Go, same, Citi not happening due to new accounts, that only leaves Penfed but sub isn't $100 and @Wavester64  do you really need another 1.5%-2% cash back card?  I have no idea if Nusenda offers SUB. 

 

Also, Geico policies renew every six months, so that would be 4 cards in two years whenever premium is due, goal cards forever out of reach because there will be other apps. 

 

Pay full six months premium, collect 3% 

 


Yeah, no new accounts needed (or wanted) at the moment. I'll just stick to 3% on GEICO using AOD. Just wanted to see if anyone else was doing better ATM Smiley Happy


My insurance renews in January and July. This July, Disco has PayPal quarter so if I decide to go cashback route, that's what I'll do. 

With two teen drivers, one transaction and (over)done Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 24
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@collics wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Have you thought about using the expense to meet the minimum spend for a signup bonus?  I recently applied for a card and met the minimum spend within 2 days by charging my car insurance premium.  Easy $500 SUB.


Do many insurance companies allow CCs for payment? I use Liberty Mutual, and I don't recall there being an option to use a CC for payment.


GEICO definitely takes credit cards. They even accept Apple Pay. 
I pay them on my Apple Card via Apple Pay and get 2% back. 
----------

 

@NoHardLimits i think that is the best idea. Pay the premium in full to meet a new card sub offer OP. 

 


Interesting... I'll log into Liberty Mutual and check, but I am not going to hold my breath.

 

*Edit: Looks like they do, but they charge up to $6 per bill. Not enough to overcome the monthly rewards I'd earn.

Message 12 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@Remedios wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Given "the goal" cards in OPs signature, applying for a new account would postpone meeting those goals by another year. 

Chase isn't happening because of new accounts,, Go, same, Citi not happening due to new accounts, that only leaves Penfed but sub isn't $100 and @Wavester64  do you really need another 1.5%-2% cash back card?  I have no idea if Nusenda offers SUB. 

 

Also, Geico policies renew every six months, so that would be 4 cards in two years whenever premium is due, goal cards forever out of reach because there will be other apps. 

 

Pay full six months premium, collect 3% 

 


Yeah, no new accounts needed (or wanted) at the moment. I'll just stick to 3% on GEICO using AOD. Just wanted to see if anyone else was doing better ATM Smiley Happy


My insurance renews in January and July. This July, Disco has PayPal quarter so if I decide to go cashback route, that's what I'll do. 

With two teen drivers, one transaction and (over)done Smiley Sad


From what I could see on my account, Geico doesn't do paypal, so not a route for me (I was trying to use the 3% feature on the Paypal Cashback card, but 5% would be even better)

Message 13 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Given "the goal" cards in OPs signature, applying for a new account would postpone meeting those goals by another year. 

Chase isn't happening because of new accounts,, Go, same, Citi not happening due to new accounts, that only leaves Penfed but sub isn't $100 and @Wavester64  do you really need another 1.5%-2% cash back card?  I have no idea if Nusenda offers SUB. 

 

Also, Geico policies renew every six months, so that would be 4 cards in two years whenever premium is due, goal cards forever out of reach because there will be other apps. 

 

Pay full six months premium, collect 3% 

 


Yeah, no new accounts needed (or wanted) at the moment. I'll just stick to 3% on GEICO using AOD. Just wanted to see if anyone else was doing better ATM Smiley Happy


My insurance renews in January and July. This July, Disco has PayPal quarter so if I decide to go cashback route, that's what I'll do. 

With two teen drivers, one transaction and (over)done Smiley Sad


From what I could see on my account, Geico doesn't do paypal, so not a route for me (I was trying to use the 3% feature on the Paypal Cashback card, but 5% would be even better)


You're right, I forgot about the demise of PPK. I think I'm in denial.  

 

 

Message 14 of 24
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@C6 wrote:

Ford rewards Visa offers 3% back on insurance plus an extra $200 annual reward if you spend $6000. That is a net to the customer of 6.3% assuming the $6000 spend.


I second the Fordpass Rewards card, and this is what I do.  Get the normal 3% in Fordpass points and spend right at the yearly $6000 threshold to get the $200 annual bonus, which equates to a 6.3% cashback if you spend exactly $6000.  But the normal 3% is in Fordpass points, which not everyone would be able to use.

 

Also, check your AMEX to see if you may have an offer for insurance payments.  Three of the four cards in my family have a "Get 5% back as a statement credit by using your Card, up to a total of $15" offer (spend $300 to get the full $15 for each offer).  This offer is good until the end of 2022.


Message 15 of 24
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@Wavester64 wrote:


Yeah, no new accounts needed (or wanted) at the moment. I'll just stick to 3% on GEICO using AOD. Just wanted to see if anyone else was doing better ATM Smiley Happy


Unfortunate that this is a category that eludes 5%, so like you I have mine set to AOD, haven't changed it for a year. There was a time when Safe CU offered a quarter for insurance premiums, but that didn't roll over into the 2022 calendar. 






Message 16 of 24
trant3
Established Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?

i used the Paceline Visa to pay for insurance and utilities, 3% cash back on everything

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 17 of 24
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?

@Remedios wrote:

This July, Disco has PayPal quarter so if I decide to go cashback route, that's what I'll do. 

Brilliant  @Remedios    

I have PayPal pointed to my BoA 123 card and try to use PayPal for one-off things (like insurance) to get 3% where no cards are a good fit.

**But it never occurred to me that 25% of the year I could be pointing PayPal to Discover and getting 5%.   (Dohhh!)

 

Good wisdom.   ....and a reminder that MANY places accept PayPal.

 

||
Message 18 of 24
indygo
New Member

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?

If they take Apple Pay like the other comment says, you can use Kroger's credit card through Apple Pay for 5%

Message 19 of 24
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?


@Duke_Nukem wrote:

@C6 wrote:

Ford rewards Visa offers 3% back on insurance plus an extra $200 annual reward if you spend $6000. That is a net to the customer of 6.3% assuming the $6000 spend.


I second the Fordpass Rewards card, and this is what I do.  Get the normal 3% in Fordpass points and spend right at the yearly $6000 threshold to get the $200 annual bonus, which equates to a 6.3% cashback if you spend exactly $6000.  But the normal 3% is in Fordpass points, which not everyone would be able to use.

 

Also, check your AMEX to see if you may have an offer for insurance payments.  Three of the four cards in my family have a "Get 5% back as a statement credit by using your Card, up to a total of $15" offer (spend $300 to get the full $15 for each offer).  This offer is good until the end of 2022.


Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago on the AMEX GOLD took advantage of it. That's what got me craving 5% going forward on the GEICO Smiley LOL






Potential Future Cards
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.