Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Citi Double Cash Mailers in 3 Weeks.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 Citi Double Cash Mailers in 3 Weeks.

What is going on with Citi? I've gotten a mailer 5 times over a 3 week period. All the same offer but different invitation codes.

I applied for the Citi Simplcitiy card in early January and was denied. Are they telling me I apped for the wrong one? They are persistant!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 5 Citi Double Cash Mailers in 3 Weeks.

They are simply marketing solicitations.  Unless they actually state that they are "pre-qualified" offers (as displayed on the mailers), they're just another method to invite you to apply, similar to pre-selected offers.

I get a bunch of these periodically for different products Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

They are simply marketing solicitations.  Unless they actually state that they are "pre-qualified" offers (as displayed on the mailers), they're just another method to invite you to apply, similar to pre-selected offers.

I do to from time to time. Have you ever gotten 5 from same company in this short of time? Seems desperate. Smiley LOL

The APR offer is not a range btw.

Message 3 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I do to from time to time. Have you ever gotten 5 from same company in this short of time? Seems desperate. Smiley LOL

Yes, I counted about 13 or so in a 3 week period just from Citi alone (Diamond Preferred, Simplicity, Expedia, AA MileUp, etc).

For most Citi mailers, the APR margin will usually be non-spread (i.e. no range) regardless of whether it's a pre-qualified, pre-selected or any invitation to apply offers.  They will have invitation codes and opt-out language as well.  Typically, the pre-qualified offers are more solid.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Yes, I counted about 13 or so in a 3 week period just from Citi alone (Diamond Preferred, Simplicity, Expedia, AA MileUp, etc).

For most Citi mailers, the APR margin will usually be non-spread (i.e. no range) regardless of whether it's a pre-qualified, pre-selected or any invitation to apply offers.  They will have invitation codes and opt-out language as well.  Typically, the pre-qualified offers are more solid.

Smiley Surprised

Oh ok. Good to know. I will not be apping with them soon. I am still mad about the Simplicity.

Message 5 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Smiley Surprised

Oh ok. Good to know. I will not be apping with them soon. I am still mad about the Simplicity.

Out of curiousity, what were the reasons cited for your Simplicity denial in January?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Smiley Surprised

Out of curiousity, what were the reasons cited for your Simplicity denial in January?

If I remember correctly it was do to my high utilization. Probably around 35% then. 28% now. That was the reason I wanted the Simplicitiy. 21 months for balance transfers!

Message 7 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Ok.  What I would focus on is definitely lowering that % to a more optimal level.  However, that being said, I would recommend selecting a different Citi product if I were you.   From a BT perspective, there's the Double Cash and Diamond Preferred who feature some decent intro promotions.   Often times, the Simplicity CC is a dead-end product and very challenging to convert. 

Message 8 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Capital One used to send me a lot of offers in the mail. They were inferior to my other cards, but early on I didn't realize that and nearly applied for one. Recently I applied for arguably their best card, Savor. I was approved even though I wasn't prequalified and they had never sent me any offers for it. I was even approved for it with just 2 pulls, even though they usually require three.

What I concluded:

When it comes to acquiring customers, postage is a lot cheaper than big bonuses.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 15
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Did you check the Citi prequal site?  Any results?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.