Did you mean: 

5% Utilities including Cable/Cell Phone/Internet - Vantage West

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: 5% Utilities including Cable/Cell Phone/Internet - Vantage West

@OmarR wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:
Actually it's all the new accounts. I don't worry about the INQs. I've learned they don't make a difference in my apps.

I guess I could google it, but how long does it take for new accounts to stop being "new"?

IME Omar, normally six months is good. I've tried afer 90 days and been fine. It depends on the number of accounts. I added a boat load the last six months of last year. 7 or 8 I believe.. I lost count. lol

Luckily 3 of those are hidden on all CBs and one of them only reports to EX and EQ.

Message 61 of 117
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

I was denied for a savings account, and in order to re-apply, I have to go to a branch.

When I applied, it asked questions from my credit report to verify my identity and I answered one of the questions incorrectly.  Oops.  When it asked for the company that my mortgage was through, one of the answers was the original bank that I got the mortgage with, but they have since been purchased by another bank.  I thought that it was a trick question, so I answered "none of the above".  Smiley Happy

It said that they would verify my identity in another way, and after the first day they emailed and asked that I send another form of identification in like a work ID or a credit card.  So I uploaded a picture of one of my credit cards.  The next day they asked for a utility bill, so I uploaded my power bill.  Then last night at like 10:45pm I got an email that the application had been denied. 

I called today and spoke with a nice representative, and she said she'd look into it for me.  When she got back to me, she said it was because they were unable to verify my identity and for security reasons, I would have to show up at an actual branch to reapply.  Unfortunately, I live in Illinois, so that is not likely to happen.

I wonder if you can still apply for the credit card if you are not a credit union member?  I really want this card!  Smiley Happy

Message 62 of 117
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

I wonder if you can still apply for the credit card if you are not a credit union member?  I really want this card!  Smiley Happy

Unfortunately no, you need to be a member to get a card with them. Your best bet is to wait a few months and try the membership application again.

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 63 of 117
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@heyryan wrote:

@dlister70 wrote:

Unfortunately no, you need to be a member to get a card with them. Your best bet is to wait a few months and try the membership application again.

She said that if I applied again online that it would be denied, but I probably will give it a shot again after waiting a few months.  I've got nothing to lose.  Smiley Happy

Message 64 of 117
OmarR
Established Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

@heyryan wrote:

@dlister70 wrote:

She said that if I applied again online that it would be denied, but I probably will give it a shot again after waiting a few months.  I've got nothing to lose.  Smiley Happy

I mentioned in an earlier post that my only "hiccup" was uploading the proper GABA membership card. But you just reminded me that I went thru this very same issue that you are going thru. Yes, I forget things easily. Smiley Sad

1. First app for Checking:

About half of the verification credit questions apply to me. I get denied because they cannot verify my identity. **bleep** it! Should I have un-frozen my 3 credit reports? I didn't think I needed to for just a checking/savings. My funding source (USAA credit card) goes from "pending transaction" to nothing at all. to So I unfreeze all 3 and try again. 

2. Second app:

This time, it's making me app for a Checking AND Savings account. Whatever.  This time, ZERO of the verification questions apply to me. Another denial because they cannot verify my identity. Maybe I should have waited more than 15 mins from unfreezing my reports? "Pending transactions" from my funding source go away again. This time, I notice the "upload" section on their application website. I upload my drivers license.jpg and my social security card.jpg

3. Third app:

I wait a solid 24 hours for this app. EXACT same repeat of 2nd app....I even upload the proper jpg's again.

4. 4th app:

I wait ANOTHER 24 hours. This time, the credit verification questions apply to me, and I get a "your application has been accepted" and we will contact you soon. Several hours later, I go to the "Vantage Connect Rewards" application page and just apply directly for the credit card. 24-48 hours later, Jordan calls me and says I have been approved. He sees that my membership app is pending, so just let him know when the membership is set up correctly.

About ANOTHER 24-48 hours after that, I end up fixing the GABA issue (proper id card upload) and than all the "Welcome, congrats" emails start rolling in. I leave Jordan a message and he calls back saying my credit card is on the way.

I am going to love this credit card for 5% utilties, but this credit union moves REALLY slow and I think they just safely follow the prompt cues that show up on their screen. Depending on how "big" they are and how they are actually staffed, I guess I can't really blame them. It's not like they are going to be my primary bank anyways.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 65 of 117
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

4. 4th app:

I wait ANOTHER 24 hours. This time, the credit verification questions apply to me, and I get a "your application has been accepted" and we will contact you soon. Several hours later, I go to the "Vantage Connect Rewards" application page and just apply directly for the credit card. 24-48 hours later, Jordan calls me and says I have been approved. He sees that my membership app is pending, so just let him know when the membership is set up correctly.

Wow, fourth try was the charm!  That gives me a little hope that I just need to try again and get the identity questions right.  I also looked at the Huntington Voice card, and I'm closer to their branches but still don't have one local to me (it's about 90 miles away).  I was considering driving to a branch to open a checking there and get their card, but it's only 3% on utilities instead of 5%.  Still hoping to get the Vantage West, and your story makes it sound possible. 

Thanks for the data point!

Message 66 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apped for membership and was denied due to me being from alabama and they no longer accept applications from out of state. This sucks because I already paid the membershipto gaba for $20. I will apply again and see what happens.
Message 67 of 117
SBR249
Established Contributor

wrote:
I apped for membership and was denied due to me being from alabama and they no longer accept applications from out of state. This sucks because I already paid the membershipto gaba for $20. I will apply again and see what happens.

Wow, this must be a new policy. Glad I decided to apply for membership anyway after I got denied for the card. Although I hope they don't apply the same restrictions to new card applications from existing members (or decide to cull their membership ranks). 

Maybe GABA got tired of all these out of state lurkers clogging up their member list. Smiley Very Happy

Message 68 of 117
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Just as soon as you said that, I immediately upload the documents when my checking and savings got denied but yeah it took them about a week just to get back to me 😂 I got scared but I should have done it earlier, hopefully they approve me, I'm from California.
Message 69 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
Just as soon as you said that, I immediately upload the documents when my checking and savings got denied but yeah it took them about a week just to get back to me 😂 I got scared but I should have done it earlier, hopefully they approve me, I'm from California.

If out of state applicants are restricted going forward, it was just announced that the US Bank Cash + Card will offer 5% back on utilities starting in April. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-cash-home-utilities-replace-bookstores-5-category-april-1st-...

Message 70 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.