Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% Utilities including Cable/Cell Phone/Internet - Vantage West

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: 5% Utilities including Cable/Cell Phone/Internet - Vantage West

Thanks I will wait and apply for the US Bank Card in April. Seems like that would be a much easier application proccess.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 81 of 117
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Vantage West denied my application for a savings account again.  This time I'm sure I answered all the questions correctly, but it still said they were unable to verify my identity and would have to do it manually.  Even with all the supporting documents I uploaded, I was still denied.

I'm glad that US Bank will start doing utilities, although it doesn't look like cable/internet is included like VW does.  I still applied for a Cash + after I read that they'd start doing utilities, and the approval came through today right before the VW denial.  I have to wait for the card to come to see what the limit is, but I'm happy that I'll at least be able to put some of my utilities on a 5% card.

Message 82 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Vantage West denied my application for a savings account again.  This time I'm sure I answered all the questions correctly, but it still said they were unable to verify my identity and would have to do it manually.  Even with all the supporting documents I uploaded, I was still denied.

I'm glad that US Bank will start doing utilities, although it doesn't look like cable/internet is included like VW does.  I still applied for a Cash + after I read that they'd start doing utilities, and the approval came through today right before the VW denial.  I have to wait for the card to come to see what the limit is, but I'm happy that I'll at least be able to put some of my utilities on a 5% card.

I’m curious, how long from application to approval?

Message 83 of 117
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I’m curious, how long from application to approval?

I applied on Monday night, checked the automated line Wednesday and it was still pending.  Checked again this afternoon (Thursday) and got the congratulations.  So 2.5 - 3 days from app to approval.

Message 84 of 117
minski
Established Contributor

Any further data points on no longer accepting out of state applications? 

Message 85 of 117
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaveInAZwrote:

As a Vantage West customer who lives in AZ, I should alert MyFico'ers to one quirk about VW credit cards which is annoying to me. Their statement cycle is the last day of the month, a consolidated statement for banking accounts, credit cards, etc. But for credit cards they report to the CRAs on the 5th of the month, reporting whatever your balance is that day, not the balance on the end of the month statement.

A while back I thought I was being clever by having an insurance bill that charges on the 3rd of the month charged to my VW Visa card, that way I'd have nearly a month to pay it & have a $0 report. My Visa statement was $0 at the end of the month, insurance bill showed as pending on the 3rd, cleared on the 4th, and on the 5th VW reported that as my balance. Smiley Frustrated

I'm glad you said that, because I was really wondering if I was losing my mind or something. I too thought that the end of the month statement balance would be reported, instead was surprised to see balance from the 4th or 5th being reported.  Is it definitely always the 5th?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 86 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

You actually do have to pick your category for each quarter, it doesn't automatically roll over from what I can tell. But you can pick all of your categories for the whole calendar year at any time, so I guess you only have to pick categories once a year. I'm leaving it open myself, if I had picked utilities all year I'd kinda be pissed now cuz it's coming up on the us bank cash+.
I became a VW member (I live in Texas) and opened the Connect Rewards card in December. I principally got it for utilities, but since US Bank is adding utilities to cash+ and chase ink covers tv/internet/cell, I'm actually gonna use Connect Rewards for charity at least one quarter and probably for amazon pretty frequently since I was denied the Amazon prime visa. From what I've seen this card is pretty much the best one for charitable donations, and I think it's best to donate when the charities are getting large matches like for every dollar you spend they get 10 extra from grants etc.
Message 87 of 117
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

So I just tried to rerun my credit to get the card but they said they updated the guidelines for out of state, that they no longer accept applications. And I even donated to the bicycle, man it's really messed up how they did me, to those that got the card, you guys are very lucky. It's all good tho, not really tripping.
Message 88 of 117
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

For those out of state who were luck enough to get the Vantage West Connect Rewards CC w/5% rewards on the category you chose, now that you're a member you might consider opening a VW Rewards Checking account for a $200 bonus:

https://vantagewest.org/getrewarded/?utm_source=promo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=checking&mkt_tok...

How to Qualify

Open a new Rewards Checking or Rewards Plus Checking account
Setup Direct Deposit on your account (minimum $500).
Have at least one debit transaction within 60 days.

- You want the Rewards Checking, not the Rewards Plus as either will get you the bonus, but for Rewards Checking you just need a $1k average daily balance to avoid a $5 monthly fee, for Rewards Plus you need a average daily balance of $3k to avoid a monthly fee.

- The "Direct Deposit" of $500 is a bit misleading. The disclosures (at the bottom of the page) says only "Direct deposit must be from source other than income tax return", so I asked a rep if an ACH deposit from an account at another bank would count and she said "yes".

- The debit can be anything, a debit card or just an external bank account pulling $X.xx from VW.

- The account has to remain open for at least 6 months or you forfeit the bonus.

I'm in their geographic area and have banked with VW since 12/2015 when they sent me a mailer with pre-approval for their "regular" Visa CC. I had their basic free checking and they emailed me this offer to upgrade it to Rewards Checking with the $200 bonus. I checked with  rep and was told if she just upgraded my checking there would be no SP on EX or HP on Chex. If you just opened a share savings account and open a new checking account you can expect a SP review on EX and an inquiry HP on Chex. If you have the basic free checking and want to upgrade PM me and I can give you the email of an excellent VW rep who will handle the for you.

I'm not big on having $1k sitting in a checking account earning no interest just to avoid a monthly fee. But when I thought about it, I have $1k sitting in my DCU savings earning 5% interest. But that's only $50/yr., the VW $200 bonus is worth 4 years of 5% interest on $1k.

I upgraded my free checking to Rewards checking in late March, did a $550 ACH deposit from my Chase checking, had a CC pull a payment from my new Rewards checking, and got my $200 bonus today.

Message 89 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone who live and work outside of Arizona tried to join this credit union recently?  I just joined the Greater Arizon Bicycle Association but the Vantage West rep still told me I do not qualify.  He said the GABA only expands eligibility to the entire state of AZ but not outside of AZ.

Message 90 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.