Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% categories on non-5% quarters?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% categories on non-5% quarters?

I don't have a 5% category card yet, so I have no experience with them.  I'm a cashback fiend, though, but only on regular spend, meaning I don't buy something just because I happen to have a cashback card that might give me 3 cents for every buck I spend.

My questions are in green below if you want to skip all the text.

My current spending laminate in my wallet lists these:

• GROCERIES: Amex BCP (6%), USBank Cash+ (2%)
  • GAS: Discover (4%), Amex BCP (3%)
  • RESTAURANT: Discover (4%)
  • AMAZON: Amazon SC (5%)
  • DEPT STORES, FASHION: US Bank (5%) -- switching this to DEPT STORES, TRANSPORTATION next quarter if they're available
  • EVERYTHING ELSE: Discover (2%)

Every month I reprint a new laminate for the wallet in case something changed -- for example, Discover will stop offering me double cashback after February 2018 so it will stop being the useful card it was.

Next year I likely will aim for some of the 5% category cards (namely, Discover and Chase Freedom).  Some of those categories overlap current cards but might be better, such as Amazon 5% categories on a card with an extended warranty versus the store card's 5% with no extended warranty.  

The categories I'm seeing are:

• Gas, Local Commuter, Transportation
  • Grocery Stores, Drugstores
  • Restaurants, Movie Theaters
  • Department Stores
  • Wholesale Clubs
  • Amazon or Walmart specifically
  • Home Improvement

Am I missing any possible 5% categories here?

So some of those 5% categories overlap with cards I already have so I have a backup to earn more than the 2% floor I have now.  I'll need to replace Discover 2% general spend in 2018 for sure but I haven't decided yet if I'll aim for Citi DC or try to get the Alliant 3%/2.5% card if my scores and profile lets me.  Nonetheless, it appears there will be categories I may shop in that I'll want to find a non-quarter category card to cover:

• Home Improvement -- I assume neither Home Depot nor Lowes cards offer any discount?  I have neither, but as a landlord I bet this might come in handy, unless the TOS says it can't be used for that purpose (would doubt it)
  • Drugstores -- I've never been sick in my life once other than a rare flu.  I don't even get headaches or migraines ever.  Still, as I'm an aging dude, it may not be a bad idea to at least have a card to cover the rare visit to CVS.
  • Local commuter -- I do take the bus and train here and there but not to a great degree.  My most expensive month was about $100 in public transportation; typical months are more like $40-$50 -- see note below about US Bank Cash+
  • Transportation -- big Uber fan, probably spend $150-$200 a month especially in winter -- I do have US Bank Cash+ which has a transportation category for both public transportation and Lyft/Uber so I may use this category to bump up my prepaid balances one month.  Bet I can add hefty prepaid deposits on the apps I use for rideshares and bus/train!
  • Movie theaters -- I haven't been to the movies since 2007 and don't see that changing.  On top of that, the village I live in sends me 2 free tickets every few months/quarterly to a movie and I don't even use those.  Zero spend expectation.
  • Restaurants -- when Discover's double cashback ends, I will only have a 2% restaurant card there.  I am considering Discover IT Miles after for the 3% first year deal on general spend which would be pretty amazing overall.  I don't eat out often, but when I do it's usually epic because I host some banquets two or three times a year so it can be $1500 for friends and family x2 or x3 over a year.

So what do you folks do to cover categories when you don't have a 5% quarter?

My biggest spend annually is...travel.  But not typical travel.  I book a lot of cruises (a lot).  I book a ton of Frontier or Spirit flights (my average trip runs about $37 one-way and I do about 100+ one-ways a year).  I book sailboats to rent through a travel agent who codes everything as travel.  I have no travel card, but most travel cards don't offer me the redemptions that make sense -- I am doing the math with Chase CSP/CSR to see versus Capital One Venture versus some other travel cards. 

Earning "miles" makes no sense since I don't fly major airlines and I rarely book anything but cattle class.  Chase CSR appears to have some data points saying URs can be redeemed towards cruises at 1.5cpp which is nice if I am earning them at 3X which would make it a 4.5% travel card for cruises and possible for redemptions towards my cheapo airline tickets.  

Thanks in advance -- want to plan 2018 well so I can stop leaving money on the table.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: 5% categories on non-5% quarters?

I know you're an ultra-budget traveler,  but you don't have the American Express Platinum card, right?  Even if you just cashed out Membership Rewards points for something like Carnival gift cards at 1 cent per point, booking your flights directly with Spirit or Frontier would net you 5 MRs per dollar, and at a low value redemption like gift cards that's still 5% back on what you say is your biggest category.  Even at 100 $37 one-ways, that's $3700, which would be $185 of somewhat poor value gift cards, or $111 more than a 2% card.  Unlike a standard 5% card, there's no cap here! Frontier and Spirit are both eligible choices for the $200 annual airline credit, and due to the low fares I'm pretty sure most of your airfare purchases would actually trigger the credits - and if not, the $5 "bringing your phone onboard," $12 "emergency oxygen mask access fee," etc... would be covered for sure.  (And you could also make use of the lounges for free food and drinks to bring on the plane.)  You would use the Uber credits, that's $200 a year right there.

Something to think about, anyway.  I'm sure once you add in other travel expenses (hotels ever?) you're more than coming out ahead without even taking into account any bonuses, and it may present you the opportunity to at least splurge and reward yourself with a flight on a legacy carrier or a nicer room from time to time. You certainly qualify as a frequent traveler, so no reason the sticker shock of the AF should scare you off.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I know you're an ulta-budget traveler,  but you don't have the American Express Platinum card, right?  Even if you just cashed out Membership Rewards points for something like Carnival gift cards at 1 cent per point, booking your flights directly with Spirit or Frontier would net you 5 MRs per dollar, and at a low value redemption like gift cards that's still 5% back on what you say is your biggest category.  Even at 100 $37 one-ways, that's $3700, which would be $185 of somewhat poor value gift cards, or $111 more than a 2% card.  Unlike a standard 5% card, there's no cap here! Frontier and Spirit are both eligible choices for the $200 annual airline credit, and due to the low fares I'm pretty sure most of your airfare purchases would actually trigger the credits - and if not, the $5 "bringing your phone onboard," $12 "emergency oxygen mask access fee," etc... would be covered for sure.  (And you could also make use of the lounges for free food and drinks to bring on the plane.)  You would use the Uber credits, that's $200 a year right there.

Holy crikey, I had no idea that Platinum might work for me.  In fact, I never added it to my rewards calculator because I assumed it was truly useless!

I don't have Platinum -- I just got back in with Amex this week after a 11+ year hiatus from them.  I have the BCP (revolver) for groceries and will max it out annually for sure ($6000 x 6% = $360 - $95 AF).  I have read that some people get "offers" for other Amex cards on their Amex login but my account is brand new and no offers there.  Do they ever offer the Platinum to folks with revolvers?

It's a $550 AF but the first year's 60,000 bonus means $600 in travel back.  The Uber offer would work for me most months ($15/month other than $20 in December) so the annual fee isn't a problem year one.

Year two I think I'd still be fine if that Uber offer continues -- $350 left to work through means a 5% versus 2% travel card needs $12,000 in travel spend to beat a 2% card.  Because I do book flights for me and my guest (varies, family, friends, girlfriends, whatever), that spend is assurred -- and I wonder what of my other oddball travel expenses would work.  But if I get the Discover 3% travel card (first year) I would need to spend $17,500 on airfare to make the $350 AF leftover.  Lots of math this early hurts my brain pre-coffee, lolol.

I rarely stay at hotels -- I have great luck with AirBNB and lately I've been staying in hip and hot areas where hotels are $600/night but a full apartment on AirBNB is under $150.  So it's rare for me to book a hotel chain when I know I'll get a bigger room and a nicer spread for way cheaper.

I'm going to dig into Amex Platinum post histories now and find the gotchas and perks and add it to my calculator to see.  I still think that Discover 3% first year card makes a ton of sense overall (general spend blows almost everything else away!) but I don't want to leave even $5 on the table if I can avoid it.  Annual fees don't scare me, my calculators and estimates hold up really well and I snagged BCP instead of BCE because I knew I'd hit $6000 in a year there -- plus I see a gal who still drives a gasoline car for some reason and I could add her as AU for 3% on her gas purchases ($1000/year but it's still free money).

Message 3 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'm just on the forums to sell the Platinum and Starwood cards.  Amex should really put me on their payroll!  LOL

Seriously, though, in your math you forgot that you get to choose an airline for the airline credits and that's going to be $200 in statement credits for either Frontier or Spirit in your case.  Hop on it now vs 2018, and you would get the credits twice in your first membership year since the credit is by calendar year.  The underwriting for the green/gold/platinum family of charge cards is the same, and tends to be below the revolving cards.  I would be extremely  surprised if you weren't eligible for the card.  Your Experian score is about 50 points above where I'd normally say "they might approve you," and since they already approved you for a revolver...

Message 4 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

AMEX is going to start pushing the Platinum on you soon enough. But as K says, you're probably in a good spot to get it right now.

Message 5 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Plus, it’s hard to put a value on the conversations you could have in the Air France lounge with your Spirit boarding pass. Smiley Wink

The card should be looked at as a rewards and perks card rather than the “status symbol” many think of it as, including a large percentage of people who hold the card.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang that really hurts my gardening math, lol.  Right now when US Bank reports (this month I assume) I'll be at 12 months AAoA.  When Amex reports typically 2nd statement (December) I'll still be at 12 months AAoA.  Adding another card in November brings my AAoA down to 11.2 months and will take until February to get to 12.2 again.  Hmmmmmmm.

Will ponder it.  The $550 AF is due at the first statement, correct?  So probably would be in November, which is fine, but I already booked 100% of my travel through March (over 36 flights over winter booked) and have no real huge travel to pay for until probably February.

Might make more sense for me to wait until February 2018 -- AAoA will be 13 months, and if I app in Feb and it reports in March, it only brings AAoA down to 12.9 in March.

There's no valid reason for me to aim for 12 months AAoA because it appears the breakpoints for AAoA are 6 months and 24 months, so I am just chasing a ghost number, but I hate seeing my website estimator drop in anything red (AAoA < 12 months is red, 12-24 is yellow, 24+ is green, haha).

I'll ponder today and do some math.  But I do like the idea of getting $200 in free travel credit in 2018, plus some uber credits right away since I will take Uber 4 times for sure this month, 4 times for sure in December, and 4 times for sure in January.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Plus, it’s hard to put a value on the conversations you could have in the Air France lounge with your Spirit boarding pass. Smiley Wink

Lololol.

A few years back I flew Spirit to another airport to fly Emirates on a ticket a client booked me on (it was worth about $7000 in their premier class but client used miles to book it).  The flight attendant saw my Spirit boarding pass in the trash I was throwing out and her eyeballs got wide that I went from worst carrier in the world to one of the best, haha!  Also had lounge access for Emirates and that was pretty swanky...

Amex doesn't use 1 pull for 2 cards, right?  I'm at 7 on EX now after the Amex pull the other day, not sure if they're INQ sensitive, all of those are < 12 months.

Message 8 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

AMEX is going to start pushing the Platinum on you soon enough. But as K says, you're probably in a good spot to get it right now.

It's funny you mention that because earlier this morning when I went to pay my SPG they had the "ad" right below the balance/payment windows and before the offers. They had all the selling points on there like Uber credits, perks, and so on. So, yes they'll push the Plat on you before long anyways. Maybe even the 100k MR signup bonus.

Message 9 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Thus far in 2017, it's extremely rare to see Amex do a HP for existing cardmembers.  My last HP from Amex was 15 years ago, and I got my SPG and Delta Platinum this year.  DW had no HP for her Delta Gold.  Also, I forgot to clarify that for December the Uber credit is the standard $15 + a bonus $20, so $15/mo except for December which is $40 = $200 annually.  Unfortunately unused Uber credits do not roll over.  Amex is not known to be inquiry sensitive.  The $550 would be added to the first statement, yes.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.