Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% on Gas CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% on Gas CC

Just letting you know I already have one (USAA Amex), except that I couldn't use it on some (maybe all?) gas stations in Canada and all Costco gas stations.

I'm limited to 2 options: Fort Knox FCU Platinum Visa and Ducks Unlimited from FNBO. (PenFed doesn't count.... 1 pt = 0.85 cents)

In the case of Fort Knox FCU, I noticed that non-members can apply, but I've read on some post that they MAY not approve anyone outside their service area and I live in CA.  I'm eligible for membership (military), but I don't want HP for membership then another HP for applying for their CC.  What limits do they give to non-members expecially outside their service area, or maybe odds of approval?

In the case of FNBO, their website is asking for zipcode and they don't offer any products in my area, however if I look up the Ducks Unlimited I can fill out the forms.  I'm assuming I will get instant denial after filling up the form.  Anyone with Ducks Unlimited who is living outside FNBO's service area and what odds?

FICO score is around 750 (753 on TU).

AAoA: 12 months (w/o AU), 16 months (with AU)

Oldest Account: 18 months (w/o AU), 44 months (w/ AU)

Accounts: 3 (w/o AU), 5 (w/ AU)

Current Credit Use: <1% (w/o AU), 4% (w/ AU)

EDIT: Inquiries: 1/0/0 within 6 months (TU/EQ/EX), 2/1/1 within 1 year, 3/5/2? within 2 years

Assuming I apply for now, these are my cases.  Going to apply maybe 1 to 2 years for now before going to my Deadhorse Road Trip (CA to AK), and going for that road trip before I transfer out to UC.

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Re: 5% on Gas CC

Sam's club MC is 5% cash back on gas. I used to have it, got approved with a TU score like yours for a 5k limit, called in and asked for 15k and got 12k. My income at the time was 25k and i was very new to credit.

@Anonymous
Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 2 of 47
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

FNBO won't auto deny you based on geography for a cobranded card that they service like Ducks Unlimited. There are tons of cards out there that folks don't even realize are managed by FNBO.

Your scores sound fine though the AAoA may not be long enough. I have a fairly long credit history but I was approved with a large number of new accounts and inquiries.
Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 3 of 47
SBR249
Established Contributor

Your AmEx is not going to work at any physical Costco POS because they only take Visa in the US. I forget what they take in Canada, but it's also not AmEx. (Edit: it's Mastercard north of the border). 

Your American issued AmEx may not work in Canadian gas stations because of lack of Chip & PIN. 

Anyhow, I don't think Ducks Unlimited is georestricted but FNBO is inq sensitive I hear so I wouldn't app with lots of new accounts on your file. 

Message 4 of 47
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

While I can not answer any of you questions on the cards, I do want to wish you well on your journey. Last weekend I stopped in to Prudhoe Bay on my way to Barrow and it is a whole different world up there!

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 5 of 47
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Some recent DP's on Ducks Unlimited approvals and denials.  As previously mentioned, it is a co-branded card, so you should feel free to apply. 

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 6 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SBR249 wrote:

(Edit: it's Mastercard north of the border). 

After reading that part, I was like "NOOOOOOooo!" Can't use Costco gas in Canada then. Two of my choices are VISA.

Yes, I'm aware AMEX don't work on US Costco.... even tried running it as debit at the pump twice on different times and yeah it doesn't work lol.

Message 7 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonnyc wrote:

Sam's club MC is 5% cash back on gas. I used to have it, got approved with a TU score like yours for a 5k limit, called in and asked for 15k and got 12k. My income at the time was 25k and i was very new to credit.

@Anonymous

Regarding Canadian Costco, I almost considered that Sam's Club MC but I read it somewhere that using it on other gas stations attached with other warehouses will not count towards 5% cashback.  Besides, I need to be a Sam's Club member though....

Message 8 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SarahJo wrote:

Some recent DP's on Ducks Unlimited approvals and denials.  As previously mentioned, it is a co-branded card, so you should feel free to apply. 

Thanks for the DP, and interesting to see that FNBO may look for inquiries within 6 months only.  Congrats on your approval btw.

Message 9 of 47
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonnyc wrote:

@Anonymous

Regarding Canadian Costco, I almost considered that Sam's Club MC but I read it somewhere that using it on other gas stations attached with other warehouses will not count towards 5% cashback.  Besides, I need to be a Sam's Club member though....

This is true about the Sam's Club MC, but in practice it's YMMV. 

They specifically exclude Kroger, yet at my local Kroger I always earn the 5% at both the pump and when paying at the booth (for ice, etc.).  I've not tried any other Kroger fuel centers so I don't know if all Krogers earn the 5% or just mine, but when in doubt it's worth trying.

(I can also say for the record that Amex works "as advertised" at that same Kroger... i.e. no gas bonus.)  Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.