Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% on Gas CC

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: 5% on Gas CC

Hey guys, so I found another gas card. Not sure how good it is tho. https://card.creditcard.acg.aaa.com/credit/gasrebate.do
Message 31 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve got one of the cobranded cards. that one is limited to a certain amount and then you can only earn 5% if you spend that much in other purchases or some sort of gimmick like that.
Message 32 of 47
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, so I found another gas card. Not sure how good it is tho. https://card.creditcard.acg.aaa.com/credit/gasrebate.do
  • Earn 5% rebate on gas station purchases - capped at 2% of your total monthly purchases1

So.. earn 2%?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it sounds like they're trying to make you use this on more than just gas.  If I spend $100 on the card, and $50 of it was gas, then I should be getting $2.50 in cashback for the gas (5% of $50), but this makes it sound like it would max out at $2 because that's 2% of the $100 total monthly purchases.  If all $100 was for gas, then you'd still only get $2 back.  

That doesn't sound like a good deal at all for a gas card unless you're using it on other purchases too, and there doesn't appear to be  rewards for those other purchases.  

It's pretty neat that you found a gas card that I hadn't heard of, but I guess there's a reason that no one talks about it on here!  Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 47
Green456
Established Contributor

Im out of state for Fort Knox although Im about to move into their state Smiley Happy...

I have their CC. It feels pretty archaic. Their CSRs also are all over in terms of what you can and cannot do with FK CC. At some point an older lady on the phone told me that FK CC cannot have automatic payments set up and I have to go old fashion way to the post office. Eventually after 2 or so phone calls I learned that their automatic payment once set up from your Fort Knox Checknig account comes out between 11th and 24th of the month depending on a number of factors.

So in the end I got their CC working with automatic deductions from their checking account. I automatically transfer month to the checking account on the 1st of each month.

I honestly don't know if you can use 3rd party checknig account to set up the payments. They for sure do not offer ebills and so this card is on my last of getting axed.

If I had long daily commute to work this would probably be my number 1 credit card I would get. There is no quaterly limit or yearly limit on how much cashback you get, it is a Visa card so always accepted. And this is the biggest credit union in the state of Kentucky.

I am still a little thorn on whether I should close the card or not. My commute to work is short but we go on road trips once a year or so.

Message 34 of 47
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps a bit off-topic here, but something to consider when talking gas cards is actual gas prices.  Depending on where you live, gas can be found at a significantly different price between two locations that are in relative close proximity.  For example, I live about 5 miles from the next county and in that county gas is usually about 15 cents less per gallon than in my county.  So, say $2.59 becomes $2.44 (for example).  In this example, the savings in getting gas at the cheaper place is "worth" more with no gas card used verses using the 5% card at the more expensive spot.  Just something to keep in mind, as some gas cards can limit where you can get the gas.  Just making sure people aren't stepping on a dollar in order to pick up a quarter here, that's all.   

That is a really good point, BBS.  Personally I use my Ducks Unlimited 5% off gas at the station that is 1. closest to my home, and 2. Almost always the cheapest of any other station I might go near.  I have yet to find a gas station that does not code as gas for Ducks, and the convience store at my prefered station also codes as gas.  

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 35 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have problems with Sams coding places for gas (other than other superstores)?
Message 36 of 47
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone have problems with Sams coding places for gas (other than other superstores)?

Mine has always worked exactly as expected, and perhaps better, since I get 5% back when I buy gas at the Kroger fuel island, which is supposed to be excluded.  Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 47
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Wait BBS, so you're saying that gas cards are considered as if you paid cash, which is cheaper than using credit which is 99% of the time. But, wouldn't it be a win-win cause you get cash back bonus from your category and cheaper rate as if used cash?
Message 38 of 47
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Not a credit card, and cannot be used at places like Sam's or Costco, but GasBuddy offers a card that you link to your bank account and use similar to a debit card, that gives 5% at most gas stations in the U.S.

Not sure about Canada, I live in the U.S. and have not looked into that.

It does not work at Exxon/Mobil, for some reason.

It does not work anywhere that has low prices for paid members, eg Costco.

It works at places that give their own free membership rewards programs but probably will not "stack" discounts, you pick which discount to use in that scenario.

But otherwise, it works everywhere. Just an alternative for folks to be aware of.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 39 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:
  • Earn 5% rebate on gas station purchases - capped at 2% of your total monthly purchases1

So.. earn 2%?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it sounds like they're trying to make you use this on more than just gas.  If I spend $100 on the card, and $50 of it was gas, then I should be getting $2.50 in cashback for the gas (5% of $50), but this makes it sound like it would max out at $2 because that's 2% of the $100 total monthly purchases.  If all $100 was for gas, then you'd still only get $2 back.  

That doesn't sound like a good deal at all for a gas card unless you're using it on other purchases too, and there doesn't appear to be  rewards for those other purchases.  

It's pretty neat that you found a gas card that I hadn't heard of, but I guess there's a reason that no one talks about it on here!  Smiley Happy

Yes, this was my take too.  You can get the full 5% on gas if you spend enough in other categories, so in the $50 on gas case you would have to spend $125 in total ($75 non-gas) so that the $2.50 = 2% of total purchases.   But as dlister70 says, looks like there are no rewards outside gas, so you are getting just the overall 2%      So not a very attractive card!

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.