Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% on Gas CC

tag
OmarR
Established Contributor

Re: 5% on Gas CC

@Green456 wrote:

Im out of state for Fort Knox although Im about to move into their state Smiley Happy...

I have their CC. It feels pretty archaic. Their CSRs also are all over in terms of what you can and cannot do with FK CC. At some point an older lady on the phone told me that FK CC cannot have automatic payments set up and I have to go old fashion way to the post office. Eventually after 2 or so phone calls I learned that their automatic payment once set up from your Fort Knox Checknig account comes out between 11th and 24th of the month depending on a number of factors.

So in the end I got their CC working with automatic deductions from their checking account. I automatically transfer month to the checking account on the 1st of each month.

I honestly don't know if you can use 3rd party checknig account to set up the payments. They for sure do not offer ebills and so this card is on my last of getting axed.

If I had long daily commute to work this would probably be my number 1 credit card I would get. There is no quaterly limit or yearly limit on how much cashback you get, it is a Visa card so always accepted. And this is the biggest credit union in the state of Kentucky.

I am still a little thorn on whether I should close the card or not. My commute to work is short but we go on road trips once a year or so.

Do you bank with anyone else? If so, just push a payment from there. That's what I do.

While I successfully use Fort Knox for their 5% gas card, I would never use them as my main bank since I completely agree with you that they are archaic.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker You understand the reward system exactly; that’s why the card is not popular. Well explained.
Message 42 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

OmarR Would you mind discussing the pros and cons of the ducks versus the fort Knox? I’m considering the two of those versus Sam’s for a 5% gas card. Thank you for your comments
Message 43 of 47
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
OmarR Would you mind discussing the pros and cons of the ducks versus the fort Knox? I’m considering the two of those versus Sam’s for a 5% gas card. Thank you for your comments

The main difference is Fort Knox's horrible web interface. It's outdated and horrible to navigate. If your preference is to do a pull payment from Fort Knox website, it was donating a leg to link an external account. And than you would have to FIRST do a transfer to your share savings account (or checking account, etc), and THAN do a payment from that account to the credit card. Also, it's my lowest limit of all my cards @ $5,000, but they don't do automatic CLI's or SP CLI's. Also, 5% CB is in the form of an automatic statement credit, no other option. But I don't mind that. Also, due date is NOT adjustable. It lands on the 16th for me and I cannot change it. I prefer my statements to coincide with the monthly calendar. That is probably my biggest gripe. Also, no minimum redemption amount. No SUB. $10 replacement/lost card fee.

Off the top of my head, I forget what the Duck options/quirks are. Why? Because USAA's (my main bank) bill pay is linked up and I get USAA bill pay alerts to all my cc's due dates/amounts. But minimum redemption amount is $25. No SUB. 

Fort Knox was single TU pull (for credit union membership & credit card) and Ducks was Experian Pull. I am in Indiana.

I know it seems like I wrote an entire paragraph hating on Fort Knox, but it's honestly just a 5% gas card that I keep in one vehicle and Duck's in my 2nd vehicle. I will have to double check, but I think there is no yearly cap either one. I am almost positive of that. I log in and check my Fort Knox balance around the 10th, and push payment. I also like belonging to MANY credit unions should I need to shop car loan, mortgage re-fi, etc, in the future.

TLDR version:

If you don't mind push payments & rewards via statement credit, there is nothing wrong with the Fort Knox VISA. 

Ducks adds 5% at Sporting Goods, which helps a little with the $25 minimum redemption.

Fort Knox might be manual underwriting sensitive and I do believe FNBO (Ducks) has become inq sensitive. But as others have mentioned with any card, YMMV.

Also, 99% of the time, I gas up at Kroger and it codes 5%.  I don't belong to Sam's Club, so I don't know how it would code there. I do belong to Costco, but I have yet to use either VISA there for gas. I will have to try it soon.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 44 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for that. So you really have no problem with either as far as places coding correctly? Does it matter whether it's done at the pump or inside?

Yes, any quirks would be appreciated indeed! Thanks in advance! CLIs on ducks?? Always loved your lineup! Wish I could get that Vantage!
Message 45 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ft. Knox website limits it to purchases at the pump. Didn't see any cap tho. no AF. Growth potential?

Sam's capped at $6,000. Plus Sams membership. No AF. Good growth potential with Synch.

Ducks is good at pump and inside + sporting goods, no cap, no AF. Growth potential with FNBO? I don't know, please tell me.
Message 46 of 47
Green456
Established Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Im out of state for Fort Knox although Im about to move into their state Smiley Happy...

I have their CC. It feels pretty archaic. Their CSRs also are all over in terms of what you can and cannot do with FK CC. At some point an older lady on the phone told me that FK CC cannot have automatic payments set up and I have to go old fashion way to the post office. Eventually after 2 or so phone calls I learned that their automatic payment once set up from your Fort Knox Checknig account comes out between 11th and 24th of the month depending on a number of factors.

So in the end I got their CC working with automatic deductions from their checking account. I automatically transfer month to the checking account on the 1st of each month.

I honestly don't know if you can use 3rd party checknig account to set up the payments. They for sure do not offer ebills and so this card is on my last of getting axed.

If I had long daily commute to work this would probably be my number 1 credit card I would get. There is no quaterly limit or yearly limit on how much cashback you get, it is a Visa card so always accepted. And this is the biggest credit union in the state of Kentucky.

I am still a little thorn on whether I should close the card or not. My commute to work is short but we go on road trips once a year or so.

Do you bank with anyone else? If so, just push a payment from there. That's what I do.

While I successfully use Fort Knox for their 5% gas card, I would never use them as my main bank since I completely agree with you that they are archaic.

I bank with Boeing Employeet Credit Union. They are ages ahead of Fort Knox. I direct deposit small amount of money for gas into their checking account and then have Fort Knox automatically pay my statement balance from there.

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.