Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50,000 points Offer - AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

tag
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

50,000 points Offer - AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

Hey Guys,

I've just gotten this offer in the mail and I'm really torn about applying.  I do want another credit card, in particular the CSP, and am not sure if I want another AMEX at this point.  But this is a bonus of $500 if you spend $1000 in three months (which is a way cooler deal than their normal offer of 25,000 points after spending $2000 in three months).  

Since I've only recently gotten the AMEX Blue Cash two weeks ago,  will I be denied for this signup bonus?  Also, within the last month I have gotten two HPs.  If I go with this card, will it negatively affect my chances with CSP too much? (either in approval and/or limit ranges).  Actually, would AMEX do a HP if they already did one two weeks ago for a different card?  Is it smarter to get another AMEX months later to optimize the backdating feature?  Also, I know charge cards report the high balance.  Does it count toward my util? So a high balance of $1000 would equal a credit limit of $1000 with 100% util??

Thanks. 

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: 50,000 points Offer - AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

@Dalanar wrote:

Hey Guys,

I've just gotten this offer in the mail and I'm really torn about applying.  I do want another credit card, in particular the CSP, and am not sure if I want another AMEX at this point.  But this is a bonus of $500 if you spend $1000 in three months (which is a way cooler deal than their normal offer of 25,000 points after spending $2000 in three months).  

Since I've only recently gotten the AMEX Blue Cash two weeks ago,  will I be denied for this signup bonus?  Also, within the last month I have gotten two HPs.  If I go with this card, will it negatively affect my chances with CSP too much? (either in approval and/or limit ranges).  Actually, would AMEX do a HP if they already did one two weeks ago for a different card?  Is it smarter to get another AMEX months later to optimize the backdating feature?  Also, I know charge cards report the high balance.  Does it count toward my util? So a high balance of $1000 would equal a credit limit of $1000 with 100% util??

Thanks. 

I have been looking to get that signup bonus an while from amex i still have had no luck sadly :-( . From what i understood charge and revolvers are different with that one signup bonus per lifetime rule. When are you planning on applying for CSP? I do think it will be seperate HP if its been two weeks but i am not sure about that. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 14
MT936
Established Contributor

@Dalanar wrote:

Hey Guys,

Thanks. 

First off, 50,000 MR points is $500 if you spend it towards travel, the cash back value of 50,000 points is a lot less. You will not be denied for the sign up bonus if you have never had a amex charge card in the past. It might lower your chances a bit with the CSP with the HPs. You will get a HP for every new app. Charge cards do not count towards your ultilzation %

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 14
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

Lucy you good luck ... IMHO go for it as Amex charge cards are easy to get. I have 3 of Amex charge cards. They have internal scoring and evaluation for existing card members.

For CSP .., not sure but you may want to wait a little.
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 4 of 14
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

MR points are only worth $0.01?  That sucks.

Message 5 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

If you transfer to airline partner i think its worth more than 1:1 imo . It just like spg or UR in that respect. 

Message 6 of 14
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

If you transfer to airline partner i think its worth more than 1:1 imo . It just like spg or UR in that respect. 

So the offer is probably worth more like $750-$1k - assuming you can get between $0.015 - $0.02 per MR - I take it.  That sounds more enticing - and I was pretty sure I saw people get more than $0.01/MR.

Message 7 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

And, if you don't transfer to FFs, MRs are worth less than $0.01.

Message 8 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

That is true but if you are applying for an prg type card shouldn't you be transferring them only for travel ?

Message 9 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

That is true but if you are applying for an prg type card shouldn't you be transferring them only for travel ?

In my view, yes.

If not transferring directly to FFs, then opt for a cashback card.  By the way, this applies to UR points too, since unless one is transferring to UA or Hyatt, Fid Amex 2% for no fee is infinitely superior.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.