Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50,000 points Offer - AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: 50,000 points Offer - AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

@mongstradamus wrote:

That is true but if you are applying for an prg type card shouldn't you be transferring them only for travel ?

You would think so, but on the Amex forum, there was a question about what people redeemed for, and a LOT of Platinum and Gold holders were praising the card because of all the great gift cards and merchandise you can get.   Hopefully some of the Plat holders also used airport lounges, but I suspect a lot got it for apparent status!

Message 11 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

That is true but if you are applying for an prg type card shouldn't you be transferring them only for travel ?

You would think so, but on the Amex forum, there was a question about what people redeemed for, and a LOT of Platinum and Gold holders were praising the card because of all the great gift cards and merchandise you can get.   Hopefully some of the Plat holders also used airport lounges, but I suspect a lot got it for apparent status!

Unbelievable!  

Message 12 of 14
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys. I read somewhere that non airline use of the Mr is about .007 to the dollar. So 50000 points are worth roughly $350 in amazon gift cards. Still $350 as a sign up bonus is not bad either.
Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 13 of 14
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

if your FICO is around the 720-730 mark, you should be fine applying for both. since the CSP is the one you really want, apply for that one first. Charge cards also have less UW restrictions so they'll be easier to get. Since Blue Cash you recently acquired is a revolver, you should still be able to get a charge card (I know sometimes Amex is hesitant to approve for two revolvers back to back) and you will still be able to get the signup bonus.

Re: MR rewards -- there are enough gift cards that you can get 1:1 for, but the best redemptions can give you much better than that. ThePointsGuy currently values MR at 1.8cents per point (http://thepointsguy.com/2014/06/what-are-points-and-miles-worth-june-monthly-valuations/). Note: he also values Chase UR points at 2.1 cents per point, but I value them at around 1.6-1.8. His estimations are higher because he usually redeeems for Business / 1st class international flights and upgrades, where you can get more value.

You can wait to optimize the backdating feature (so you'd wait Jan 2015), but the offer will be expired by then. it really comes down to whether or not you really care about the 7 months for your AAoA.

Charge cards report differently and do not affect Util%.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.