cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50K Targeted Amex Platinum Offer Worth It?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

50K Targeted Amex Platinum Offer Worth It?

I received a targeted Amex Platinum offer for 50K MR after $5k in spend (AF not waived first year). The offer is medoicore at best; however, no where in the offer does it have Amex's usual once in a lifetime bonus langauge. I've had the PRG and Platinum in the past and generally am over my once in a lifetime bonus w/ most Amex products.

1. I hate Amex - serioues hate them.

2. I don't need anymore cards, nor do I want to shift $5k in spend from CSR/Freedom Unlimited.

3. I don't have a need for the "Platinum benefits" (with the exception of the occasional Centurion lounge which are not at my usual airports).

4. I can get value out of the annual airline credits and make it pay for most of the first year annual fee and then close the card.

Overall, not sure if 50K MR points are worth the hassle, especially for a card company I truly hate. Is it rare to see targeted offers without the once in a lifetime langauge? I'm on the fence about this.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: 50K Targeted Amex Platinum Offer Worth It?

I think you answered your own post. For that much hate and not wanting to do the 5k spend, i believe you should continue your credit journey with this in the rearview mirror. If there is something that bothers you for whatever reason, best to go with your gut and not let it fester.Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ah200003

From your bullet points.....it's seems that you have answered your own question. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same offer around midnight and I about laughed my ass off. The travel credit is only 200 and far more restrictive than CSR with the same 450 annual fee. 50k MR might as well be 5 MR cuz to me the MR program is complete crap. IMHO the CSR is by far better than the Amex Platinum.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to skip the offer. The only reason I was somewhat interested was the lack of "once in a lifetime" language for the bonus. I got the Platinum a few years back with a 100k offer and generally was not impressed with the card. I'm in LOVE with my CSR and other Chase products, but cannot say the same about Amex. After the airline credits (which I actually use for UA giftcards and redeem for flights) I'd basically get 50k MR points for having the card for a year, which I would transfer from MR to SQ Krisflyer for UA redemptions.

Seriously, MR is the worst. They actively go out of their way to ensure that you cannot transfer your points out. They hold your points hostage for months while they are "pending". If you ask for your points to be "advanced" they basically accuse you of fraud. Needless to say after writing this, all my old MR memories are coming back and I'll stay far far away from this offer and Amex MR.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

it sounds like this is not the offer for you, but given a host of other factors it could be fine for someone.

I've been reading about that new perk on the business platinum where you get a 50% refund of your points if you use the 'pay with points' function through the business platinum, in which case MR in a roundabout way are much more valuable than they otherwise would be. 

That of course hinges on you having the business version in addition to this personal version.

Message 6 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

Amex regularly runs a 100k promotion, making this even less appealing than you've already made it.

Hold out for 100k or move on.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can feel your hate for Amex through this screen.. it shouldn't even be a question for you.. pass!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.