Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6% Groceries - BCP bummer

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: 6% Groceries - BCP bummer

I'm hella jealous of everyone's grocery choices! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 31 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ohjoy wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Sam's Club credit card is 5% cashback at all gas stations but you have to have a membership with SC to get the card and the cashback are yearly redemptions in one lump sum.

Ok so a couple more questions, please.  I am a club member already but under my business account. Will the card have to be for the business or can I get it as an individual and still qualify because I have a business membership. And is the lump sum cashback a credit on the card or a check?

I appreciate your responses. Thanks.

Years ago I had a Sam's Club business membership with a personal credit account attached; I suspect it's still possible.  Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The walmart secret is shop at the Neighborhood Market for food not the regular walmart. Then you get 6%  We have each in opposite directions from our  house.  

We shop once in blue moon in another store  that has Wednesday as senior day get 5% of there then another 6% with bcp. 

When I tried that it did not work for me.  Think I will try it again and see what happens.

Several members shop at Neighborhood Market for the 6% , We were concerned but it shows up as 6% .  You are the first not to have it work I am aware of.   

Message 33 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

ABCD2199 wrote: 

Now is a FANTASTIC time to get your kid into budgeting the family's expenses.  Sit them down, give them the numbers, give them the budget, and then let them keep 50% of savings in an investment fund you control but they have access to seeing the growth on.  Show them what $50 a week in savings means in 10 years at 7% returns ($200/month x 120 months @ 7% = $35,000) and then teach them to not make the same stupid mistakes both you and I made in our teens and early 20s.  Your kid is old enough to learn to run the budget themselves, even if they're only 7.  So let them!  They may force you to eat peanut butter covered ramen for 10 years, but imagine where they'll be as young adults...

I'd love to get your suggestions on a solid 7% return product. ATM we've got $110k split across a promo 3% and 1.69% 36mo term CD with navyFed and another 70k in amex HYSA but have been hesitant to invest in volitile products due to how...unpredictable lets say, the current administration is. 

Message 34 of 46
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Can I be honest? You know the bible story about the rich ruler who asked Jesus what he had to do to have eternal life? And after the rich ruler assured Jesus that he had been keeping the commandments and all that, Jesus told him to sell all his stuff, give it to the poor and follow him. He was sad when he heard this and walked away. He couldn't do it.  That's kind of how I felt reading your post. LOL. I want to get in to heaven, so to speak, but I can't live like I'm poor. I don't pretend to be rich and don't want to pretend to be poor either. Being poor is my greatest fear . #truestory  I'm not sure where that came from but, I think that's what shocked me when my daughter said it.

Btw, I'm not eating peanut butter-covered Ramen noodles for even one day. Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

@ohjoy wrote:

I used to participate in frugal living groups but, when I do things, I try to be the best at it. I was making my own ketchup and baby wipes, for instance. Or driving to 3 different grocery stores and using coupons to save a few bucks. Until, one day my young daughter asked if we were "going poor". That shocked me and I decided that I was modeling a poverty mentality, even though it was just my habit of wanting to be the best at everything.

I help a lot of poor-living rich parents turn their mindset into turning their kids into little versions of me, lol.  Probably 100 new parents Facebook added me in the past month because a prior parent I mentored to turned her little girl into a landlord at age 13 (not joking) and the kid is earning close to $1100 a month running the apartment rental 100% herself.

The best question a young child can ask mom and dad is "Are we poor?" and the answer is "Of course we're not, but when we are at home, it is better to live like you're poor so we can spend our money on vacation where no one can see but us.  We eat like poor people at home so that mom and dad can save up enough money that you'll be able to have your own apartment rentals by 16 so you can be richer than we are some day, and not waste 6 years of your life in a useless college."

I know it sounds crass, but many of the members of my local FIRE groups were teenagers when they joined, and they're in their mid-20s now and 100% retired and never have to work again. They came from middle class families who pretended to live rich but had nothing for the future, and they burned those bad habits their parents were ingraining in them by making the decision young to not pretend to be rich while actually always being fearful of their financial futures.

I don't have kids, yet, but if and when I do, you better believe I'll teach them to be wealthy in the bank and their futures by living frugally at home.  I'd prefer that my "friends" and "neighbors" think I was poor so they never bother me for a loan or assume I'll cover a restaurant tab, but when I go on vacation, I have no problem blowing $10,000 for a weekend charter that only me and whoever my date is gets to experience.  I live in a 900 square foot 2 bedroom home right now, no TV, no cable, no internet, no fancy computer or iDevice -- let the locals think you're poor, and spend your wealth on bonding with family and people you actually care about.

@Now is a FANTASTIC time to get your kid into budgeting the family's expenses.  Sit them down, give them the numbers, give them the budget, and then let them keep 50% of savings in an investment fund you control but they have access to seeing the growth on.  Show them what $50 a week in savings means in 10 years at 7% returns ($200/month x 120 months @ 7% = $35,000) and then teach them to not make the same stupid mistakes both you and I made in our teens and early 20s.  Your kid is old enough to learn to run the budget themselves, even if they're only 7.  So let them!  They may force you to eat peanut butter covered ramen for 10 years, but imagine where they'll be as young adults...

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 35 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@ohjoy wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Sam's Club credit card is 5% cashback at all gas stations but you have to have a membership with SC to get the card and the cashback are yearly redemptions in one lump sum.

Ok so a couple more questions, please.  I am a club member already but under my business account. Will the card have to be for the business or can I get it as an individual and still qualify because I have a business membership. And is the lump sum cashback a credit on the card or a check?

I appreciate your responses. Thanks.

Years ago I had a Sam's Club business membership with a personal credit account attached; I suspect it's still possible.  Smiley Wink

If you have a sams club business membership then you should carefully apply for the sams club business mastercard.  You can even get one without a personal guarantee.  It's not always easy but if you do have business credit already it should be no problem: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Business-Credit/Sams-Club-Mastercard-No-Pg-FYI/td-p/4218626

@Anonymous wrote:

ABCD2199 wrote: 

@Now is a FANTASTIC time to get your kid into budgeting the family's expenses.  Sit them down, give them the numbers, give them the budget, and then let them keep 50% of savings in an investment fund you control but they have access to seeing the growth on.  Show them what $50 a week in savings means in 10 years at 7% returns ($200/month x 120 months @ 7% = $35,000) and then teach them to not make the same stupid mistakes both you and I made in our teens and early 20s.  Your kid is old enough to learn to run the budget themselves, even if they're only 7.  So let them!  They may force you to eat peanut butter covered ramen for 10 years, but imagine where they'll be as young adults...

I'd love to get your suggestions on a solid 7% return product. ATM we've got $110k split across a promo 3% and 1.69% 36mo term CD with navyFed and another 70k in amex HYSA but have been hesitant to invest in volitile products due to how...unpredictable lets say, the current administration is. 

A 7% solid return is good IMO but not great.  Have you considered looking into lendingrobot? https://www.sidehustlenation.com/peer-to-peer-lending-5-year-performance-update/  I mean just speaking from personal experience as well as some family and colleagues 7% is basically the minimum you would expect, but 12-15 is not unheard of. I say peer to peer lending is still worth a shot. But I am not a financial advisor, nor do I know the full picture of your finances.

If you graduate high school, start earning a fairly decent income with your own business, or finish college, then save 40% of your income, you could retire by 40 or 50.  Sprinkle in some credit/checking bonuses, being frugal, lots of extreme couponing, etc.

Heck I just installed a meter that connects wirelessly to our new electric meter. It shows literally the cost I am paying per hour in cents.  I changed my electric supplier last year and saved a small amount from the local aggregate.  But switching to hourly pricing even makes sense if you use more than 350kwh/mo.  The funny thing is, even with taxes and fees, winter or summer, their price per hour is always LESS. You are getting the electricity at cost, no markups. Granted theres still roughly 5-6c/kwh in cost for the delivery, but going from 12-14c/kwh down to 7-9 is great. Get an energy audit. They are usually free or heavily discounted.  Take advantage of rebates, also tax credits!  Get a blower door test.  Air seal and insulate!  Always look at the return of investment for anything you replace/repair/upgrade/update! Get a smaller refridgerator when it comes time to replace it. Grow a garden or an urbanized patio style one.

Just a minor amount of "couch time" on the computer researching, or going to meetups each weekend is all it takes.  I have taken countless friends, family members/loved ones, enlightened them, some with budget bills for gas/electric over $600/mo, and majority are cut in half!  My primary goal is to eventually build a net zero home which produces more energy than it consumes!  In a world that revolves around consumption it is refreshing to exchange information in places like these. Sorry if my reply is a bit off topic.

I will say the nice thing about the blue cash preferred is, if you pair that with double coupons, then with samsung pay, and finally at my local grocery store, you basically get $2 off for every $30 spent one day a week, it is quite nice.  Then you can take it a step further and use other apps like ibotta or shopkick, or some that are directly tied to your credit card like plenti.

And yes, for some of the really high earners, time IS money for them.  They are at a entirely different level, and it would make absolutely no sense for them to commit to cutting every single corner possible, extreme couponing, paired with portals, on top of cash back credit cards or bonuses.  But that still doesn't mean they can't take away some of the information, use it, and have it benefit more than one person! 

@Anonymous to the poster below @Anonymous , we definitely need to chat sometime!  Wonder if you are talking about Willow Tufano?

@Anonymous wrote:

I help a lot of poor-living rich parents turn their mindset into turning their kids into little versions of me, lol.  Probably 100 new parents Facebook added me in the past month because a prior parent I mentored to turned her little girl into a landlord at age 13 (not joking) and the kid is earning close to $1100 a month running the apartment rental 100% herself.

I don't have kids, yet, but if and when I do, you better believe I'll teach them to be wealthy in the bank and their futures by living frugally at home.  I'd prefer that my "friends" and "neighbors" think I was poor so they never bother me for a loan or assume I'll cover a restaurant tab, but when I go on vacation, I have no problem blowing $10,000 for a weekend charter that only me and whoever my date is gets to experience.  I live in a 900 square foot 2 bedroom home right now, no TV, no cable, no internet, no fancy computer or iDevice -- let the locals think you're poor, and spend your wealth on bonding with family and people you actually care about.

Message 36 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noodles and tuna helper combined with tuna helper gets very old . I endured this for 3 years with the Queen of the Tightwad and she saved way more than 50% of net pay.

The easiest way to save is just be practical. You don't need the shiny toy when it comes out wait a year or so.   For cars I would never buy a BMW,  Mercedes, Porche , Bentley so forth even though I could afford any of these. I instead prefer the timeless classics. Every 7 years or so is time to trade.  Warren Buffet still has had the same house for how many years?  Have you ever hear about the Don Dayton, founder of Target joke.  He is a big spender. He buys a new car every year.  It is a Chevy Impala.   The man could buy any thing. 

I know some of our members have good cash flow and own Mercdes, Roadsters and such but I prefer as far as cars to simply faid into the woodwork and save.   My splurge is my house. It is in a upper middle class/lower upper class subdivision.   I use it some for business guests.  It has held its value.  I bought it as a foreclosure.  

Message 37 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous to the poster below @Anonymous , we definitely need to chat sometime!  Wonder if you are talking about Willow Tufano?

Nope, but I'm familiar with her!  Lots of folks sent me links about her mostly because for over a decade I've been "teaching" parents that their young kids are old enough to handle grocery shopping AND bill management even at 11.  Some can manage it by 8.

As for 7% returns, my investment returns are over 18% since 1992, but I lucked out 3 times in my life -- I sold my properties in 2006/2007 and invested in gold for 2 years and bought some of the properties back at 50-60% haircuts, and I bought bitcoin starting in 2012, and I also bought SLABS back when they were hot.  If you remove those three "oddball" investment schemes, my returns are closer to 11%, or about the market average.

I'm on the verge of liquidating my rental properties and the "new" used home I bought in 2015 because the market is insane and I would never buy at these price:rent ratios.  It's difficult to hold property for rent when the sale price is so much higher than the rental income, so I am talking to my management lawyer ("trustee") about liquidating the properties again and parking it in commodities until a correction happens.  I'd have to move into a studio apartment for 2 years (again, lol) but the last time the housing market got this idiotic, I made 60% return in 2 years.

On Wednesday I'm meeting with a 12 year old kid who is "ADHD" or whatever, and the licensed educators want to put him in special classes but I'll probably suggest his parents remove him from school entirely and give him a bundle of cash to self-invest.  No point in destroying potential in "schooling" for most of these smart kids.  It's tragic that the brightest of the future are considered the weakest by the system.

Message 38 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Noodles and tuna helper combined with tuna helper gets very old . I endured this for 3 years with the Queen of the Tightwad and she saved way more than 50% of net pay.

Yeah, I've done the tuna helper lifestyle 4x now in my life (I'm 43).  In each case it was specifically because I was BELOW my milestone number for that point in my life.  I remember very clearly back in 2002 eating red tag clearance fish out of a can for 3 months while wearing a 18K gold Rolex and my friends were poking fun at me constantly.

The thing is, I survived just fine, and cutting my spend for 3 months down to quite literally $115 a week (this includes renting the equivalent of a closet sized studio apartment!) versus my expected budget of $1900 a week turned into quite a large return years later.  I was short of my net worth by $25,000, and if you consider my returns since 2002, that $25,000 over 3 months is now worth $364,000 today, 15 years later.  Pretty insane to look at the numbers that way.

Sardines out of a can for 3 months = $364,000 15 years later, with no additional investing on the money "saved" over 3 months.  Just rolling dividends back in and compound interest gains taking over.

My friends who mocked me in 2002 are still in the cubicle to this day, and will be there for 20+ more years, guaranteed.

Message 39 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Amex is pretty clear on their site what types of stores are allowed. Always make sure to read all the fine print before apping!

First time I've seen 'pretty clear' and 'fine print' in consecutive sentences.  What I see is a collection of complaints about this card.  What needs to be done is a hack on how to get the 6% grocery discount minus the AF and minus the premium for not being able to shop at Costco/Sams, walmart, target, cvs, walgreens, specialty grocery stores, mom & pop general stores....you know, i think i convinced myself the the 6% CB (boom, take that abbreviations guide, CB = cash back.  that cash back doesn't appear in the abbreviations guide is highly questionable in and of itself) is the same as any other 1.5% CB as credit statement issued in $25 increments 6-8 weeks after earning because data flow in the 21 st century can sometimes take 2 weeks, but since the 80's we've been able to charge your account in 2 days, but rewards can't beused as minimum statement, if you cancel you lose rewards still accruing, and dont forget my annual fee.

Oh, hi quicksilver.  hi savor.  hi pretty much every other card on the planet.

Are we ready to talk for real if BCP is real $?

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.