Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 Month Gardening Party!

tag
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: 6 Month Gardening Party!

Since it pertains to gardening, I'm also weeding out non-growing plants this month.  I want to minimize my total number of cards, as it's a hassle to keep track of them all:

Got the axe today:

Elan Visa - $3000 CL (refused to CLI with SP and I refused a HP)

Sears Card - $2900 (NEVER used this card, and interest was 25-26% - it just irritated me to look at it)

On the chopping block:

Dell - $4000 (really no need, may just let this one hang on until they shut it down for inactivity)

Amex Green - NPSL (annual fee is due in May, and I really don't use it very much)

Future plans:

Next month try for a CLI on my BCP.  I have been declined three times already, and hopefully my new PenFed card won't be reporting yet, as "new accounts" was one of my decline reasons.  I also plan to ask for a CLI with Citi at the end of May, as that was also a reason with them.  

We'll see... 

ETA:  Forgot to include Sears as getting the axe!

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 11 of 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

Best wishes on all especially BCP

@TNTransplant wrote:

Since it pertains to gardening, I'm also weeding out non-growing plants this month.  I want to minimize my total number of cards, as it's a hassle to keep track of them all:

Got the axe today:

Elan Visa - $3000 CL (refused to CLI with SP and I refused a HP)

On the chopping block:

Dell - $4000 (really no need, may just let this one hang on until they shut it down for inactivity)

Amex Green - NPSL (annual fee is due in May, and I really don't use it very much)

Future plans:

Next month try for a CLI on my BCP.  I have been declined three times already, and hopefully my new PenFed card won't be reporting yet, as "new accounts" was one of my decline reasons.  I also plan to ask for a CLI with Citi at the end of May, as that was also a reason with them.  

We'll see... 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 32
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

Well, I was in the garden indefinitely and had just hit 6 months in mid-March, when I got a wild hair up my tail and tried for a mortgage preapproval.  I was approved, but the house offer fell through as well as a probable new job offer, so I decided to apply the brakes and hold off indefinitely on any house purchase.

This made me think about what I could do to increase existing CLs (I was OK with a HP) so the inquiries could all age off at the same time; it wouldn't have happened without gardening.  So, here are my results:

BoA Travel Rewards         $7200 > $12000

CSP                                  $7500 > $12500

Discover It                         $4500 > $10000

PenFed Visa (new)           $13000 CL

@Anonymous Auto Approval     $15000 @ 1.74% (same inquiry - buying a second car for my work commute)

USAA Mastercard             $12000 > $20000

Overall, a very successful week.  Thanks to all of you on the forum for the knowledge, insight, and support.

I'll be hanging out in the garden for the forseeable future... Smiley Happy

Awesome and Congrats!! It sure pays to garden!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 13 of 32
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Well, sorry about the house and job offer, but you did very well in the CLI department.  You should be in good position when you decide to go for a mortgage, again.

Congrats!

Message 14 of 32
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Congrats
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 15 of 32
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Wow! Congrats!!

Someday...Smiley Sad
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 16 of 32
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear about the home and the job!
However,
Congrats on those clis!!!!!! Goooooood job!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 32
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Best wishes on all especially BCP

Yes, this one I really want, as I really like the cash rewards that I get from it.  I'm hoping that if they SP me anytime late this month/early next month they'll do it before the PenFed card reports - then I'll have had no new accounts reporting and they'll see the higher limits.

Message 18 of 32
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:
Awesome and Congrats!! It sure pays to garden!

Thanks - it really does.  This is the second time I've used a 6-month gardening stint to my advantage, and it does work. 

Message 19 of 32
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

Well, sorry about the house and job offer, but you did very well in the CLI department.  You should be in good position when you decide to go for a mortgage, again.

Congrats!

Thanks, and it's OK about the house/job.  I'll get a better house down the road, and I was offered/accepted a great job just this afternoon.  All is well. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.