Did you mean: 

Amex 5 card limit

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex 5 card limit

@jdbkiang wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Correct, AU cards do not count.  As for the SPG and points pooling, do you mean between yourself and another person (the answer is no, but you can transfer points between members with some limitations since they kept Marriott rules rather than the much better SPG rules on this)?  If you just mean having multiple accounts crediting your own Marriott account, that's no problem at all since the points are put directly into your Marriott account and not held by Amex.  Just be sure each card has the correct Marriott Rewards (or Marriott BonVoy as it will dreadfully be known in a few weeks) attached to it.  It's the same for Hilton and Delta cards, as well - as long as they are assigned to your loyalty program member number you can have as many cards as you want dumping into a single account.

Yeah, I was wondering about two different Marriott members pooling points. I also just googled it and apparently there's a 100K/year limit now. 

Prior to August, it was only 50k but SPG was unlimited (and easily done online).  If the points are being immediately used for a redemption (say you need to move over 400k for a Travel Package), Marriott Rewards (errr Marriott BonVoy) will allow an unlimited transfer.

Message 11 of 39
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I see. Thank you, K!

[2/2019]
Message 12 of 39
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Had another question along the same lines. I'll preface the question with some info first:

Have 4 Amex revolvers, opened around 4/12/18 (Hilton Ascend), 7/18/18 (BBP), 11/5/18 (no-AF Hilton), and 11/19/18 (Hilton Aspire). 

I'd like to grab the SPG card before it becomes a 5/24 card forever (2/13/19), and also the SPG biz, before the first year waived AF goes away (3/28/19). With the 2/90 rule and 5 card limit in mind--Will the following plan work?

Apply for the SPG between 2/5-2/12. Has to be after 2/5 because of the 2/90 rule but before 2/13 before it's discontinued. If I'm approved, I'll be at 5 revolvers. 

If I apply for a 6th revolver, I assume they'll ask me to close a card. If they do so, and I close the Hilton Ascend, it'll have been within a year of doing so. Will it still put me on the blacklist given that they were the ones who asked me to close the card, or will it have no effect? I assume it will still be a red flag for them. If not, I'll go ahead and do it. However: 

If so, I'll apply for the SPG biz 3/20-3/27, and get denied for the 5 card rule. They have a 30-day recon window, so after 4/12/19 (one year since approval date of card), I'd close my Hilton Ascend, then recon for the SPG biz. Since I applied under the $0 first year AF terms, I should still get that deal (I did the same thing with the Gold card before/during the revamp last October). My only question is, does that give my Ascend enough time to have reached their one-year threshold? Not sure if it matters, but the 12th statement will cut 5/7, because there was a weird jump from the first to the second statement (4/26/18-6/6/18).

Am I missing something? Does them asking me to close a card to make space for another make a difference if it's within a year of opening the card? 

Does closing the card more than a year, but less than 13 months get me by that one-year "rule"? 

TIA to anyone who spent the time to read the convoluted thoughts that come from my brain. 

[2/2019]
Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbkiang wrote:

Had another question along the same lines. I'll preface the question with some info first:

Have 4 Amex revolvers, opened around 4/12/18 (Hilton Ascend), 7/18/18 (BBP), 11/5/18 (no-AF Hilton), and 11/19/18 (Hilton Aspire). 

I'd like to grab the SPG card before it becomes a 5/24 card forever (2/13/19), and also the SPG biz, before the first year waived AF goes away (3/28/19). With the 2/90 rule and 5 card limit in mind--Will the following plan work?

Apply for the SPG between 2/5-2/12. Has to be after 2/5 because of the 2/90 rule but before 2/13 before it's discontinued. If I'm approved, I'll be at 5 revolvers. 

If I apply for a 6th revolver, I assume they'll ask me to close a card. If they do so, and I close the Hilton Ascend, it'll have been within a year of doing so. Will it still put me on the blacklist given that they were the ones who asked me to close the card, or will it have no effect? I assume it will still be a red flag for them. If not, I'll go ahead and do it. However: 

If so, I'll apply for the SPG biz 3/20-3/27, and get denied for the 5 card rule. They have a 30-day recon window, so after 4/12/19 (one year since approval date of card), I'd close my Hilton Ascend, then recon for the SPG biz. Since I applied under the $0 first year AF terms, I should still get that deal (I did the same thing with the Gold card before/during the revamp last October). My only question is, does that give my Ascend enough time to have reached their one-year threshold? Not sure if it matters, but the 12th statement will cut 5/7, because there was a weird jump from the first to the second statement (4/26/18-6/6/18).

Am I missing something? Does them asking me to close a card to make space for another make a difference if it's within a year of opening the card? 

Does closing the card more than a year, but less than 13 months get me by that one-year "rule"? 

TIA to anyone who spent the time to read the convoluted thoughts that come from my brain. 

Disclaimer: I expressly state that I do not know the answers to your specific questions.

Unless you have other older Amex cards not listed still open I would err on the side of caution.

If you have many years of history with Amex and close one card prematurely you may get a one-off pass. Only way to know the cutoff is to inch beyond it and get punished, at which point you are a data point for others but too late for your own benefit.

SPG business card was nice when it still included lounge access regardless of room type booked.

Chase can send you a pre-approval/prequalified/selected for you then shutdown you down for too many apps once you apply so I am not sure whether the fact that Amex asked you to close an account to open a revolver slot grants you a pass,

Message 14 of 39
RickNATL
Established Contributor

For those with 5 card (revolvers)....are you combined limits over $30k??

Message 15 of 39
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@RickNATL wrote:

For those with 5 card (revolvers)....are you combined limits over $30k??

In my case, yes.  One of them (Hilton Ascend) is actually $30K on its own.  Plus, I was recently approved for a 6th revolver.

Message 16 of 39
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's only for credit cards so none of the charge cards count toward the limit. They also have a 2/90 rule only 2 cards in 90 days...that also is only credit cards. I opened like 5 Amex cards in November, but 3 of them were charge cards. Those 5 are in addition to the 4 other Amex cards I already have (currently sitting at 4 credit and 5 charge cards).

I have five revolvers and three charge cards.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 39
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

6 Revolvers Possible with AMEX ?

Would 6 Revolvers Possible with AMEX ?

Message 18 of 39
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: 6 Revolvers Possible with AMEX ?

I think it is possible.

I’ve seen some reports of people claiming they have 6 revolvers.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 6 Revolvers Possible with AMEX ?

Someone just posted today about their 7th
Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.