Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 scores but no decent cc's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

600 scores but no decent cc's

I find it strange that my scores are in the 600 range but I can't get a credit card with a decent CL to save my life.Woman Sad  I do have a year old co, so maybe that's it.  What can I do to increase my chances of getting a prime card?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 600 scores but no decent cc's

From personal experience, stop trying to get a card with a decent limit for now.  Work with what you already have.  The credit game is all about time, diligence and pretty much barely using the credit that is available to you.  If you have any bad information on your credit reports then work at trying to get those removed.  This forum has many examples of how to do that.  Pay your bills on time every month and keep the balance on the cards you have at a bare minimum.  Before you know it, you'll be in a position to get prime cards.  In fact, you'll get regular offers in the mail.

It is very possible to get your scores from 600  to 700 and above in a short period of time (months not days) but it takes careful planning, sometimes a great deal of work, a few tears/kicks/screams, a lot of patience and even more self-control.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

candigrl,

Do you have any CCs? If so, post your CLs, balances and APRs.
Message 3 of 11
Bruiser
Regular Contributor

credit unions

simply put, they can get you a good limit with no annual fee
see if you have a local credit union or get your scores up to 620 and apply for CCCU or there are others out there that will take you with 600 scores
BK 7 Filed: 08/07/15
BK 7 Discharged: 11/04/15
Discharge Scores: Equifax (572) - TransUnion (586) - Experian (511)
Goal: 700+
Credit Cards: NFCU nRewards ($500) - CapOne Platinum ($300) - CapOne QuicksilverOne Rewards ($300) - Victoria's Secret ($250) - Firestone ($1200)
Auto Loan: NFCU ($34.6K @ 7.7%)
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

candigrl,

Yes I have CC's.

First Premier - closed - balance 0, had a CL of 250, got it 6/05 maybe I should try and reopen.
Cap 1 - 300 CL - 16.90 APR, balance is $12.76 (bought a myfico score with it) this card is not showing on my report yet.
Crown Jewelers - 1500 CL but just reporting 500 CL, balance is $42, and is just now showing up on my CR this month. (took them long enough)
Target - 200 CL, new not reporting yet, I haven't received  this card yet.

What I would like is two CC's with decent CL's and that's it.  I really don't need a lot of credit lines. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to wait it out for awhile.  My scores are increasing so hopefully I can get something good down the line. My scores are TU-656, EX-670, EQ-611
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

candigrl wrote:
candigrl,

Yes I have CC's.

First Premier - closed - balance 0, had a CL of 250, got it 6/05 maybe I should try and reopen.
Cap 1 - 300 CL - 16.90 APR, balance is $12.76 (bought a myfico score with it) this card is not showing on my report yet.
Crown Jewelers - 1500 CL but just reporting 500 CL, balance is $42, and is just now showing up on my CR this month. (took them long enough)
Target - 200 CL, new not reporting yet, I haven't received  this card yet.

What I would like is two CC's with decent CL's and that's it.  I really don't need a lot of credit lines. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to wait it out for awhile.  My scores are increasing so hopefully I can get something good down the line. My scores are TU-656, EX-670, EQ-611

How old is your credit is most of it fairly new?
If your credit is not that old and you had a little trouble then this might be
what they are looking at....
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is your credit is most of it fairly new?
If your credit is not that old and you had a little trouble then this might be
what they are looking at....

I never thought of that.  I just recently purchased a new car in 4/07 and I have a student loan that goes back to 2000. 
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a defaulted AMEX in your past, ever, or a BK on your CRs?

If not, then I'd try for an AMEX Green, Delta and Hilton. If you apply all the same day, you'll likely only incur only one INQ per CRA, max. They'll likely pull EX. Might also pull TU.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, there's some really great information here.  I'm glad I found these forums. 
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a defaulted AMEX in your past, ever, or a BK on your CRs?

If not, then I'd try for an AMEX Green, Delta and Hilton. If you apply all the same day, you'll likely only incur only one INQ per CRA, max. They'll likely pull EX. Might also pull TU.

I was an AU on AMEX and I think my mother might have defaulted, I'm not sure. I did apply for Delta and Hilton and got denied.  Two different reasons for the Delta it was high util, and for Hilton it was because I didn't have a major credit card.  They pulled EX on me.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.