Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+$700 cli at Macy's

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

+$700 cli at Macy's

we're chugging right along.  Maybe they're being generous, but I swear there's a ladder.

First Increase $100

Second Increase $200

Third Increase $700

Maybe next increase will be $1,000.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
waterfallwishes
Established Member

Re: +$700 cli at Macy's

I just applied and first got a 400 CL .. then called and answered a few security questions and was told it was 600.... I should have asked if I could get it any higher but I guess now I will have to wait and hope I get a nice increse ....
Message 2 of 32
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

My Macy's limits over time look like this..

100 (I had issues at the time, lol)

600 (late payment, shame on me)

The biggest jump was a total surprise.  The only one I semi-initiated was from 600 to 1k.  I called to ask why it was reduced in the first place and they explained it was a late payment, but would it be okay for them to just take it to 1k.  Uh huh, lol, please do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's mine:

opened at $100 instore

a few months later I figured out that you could ask for a CLI, and they increased me to $400

3 months later, up to $700

3 months later, up to $1400

3 months later, up to $2100

3 months later... still at $2100. I called today (day 90) and was told I was a day too early. Hope they don't refuse to CLI me now  because I already asked once!

$700 increments seem to be pretty standard for Macy's, from what I've read.  

Message 4 of 32
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I've got them on my calendar at 90 day increments, along with Dillard's.
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

The biggest jump was a total surprise.  The only one I semi-initiated was from 600 to 1k.  I called to ask why it was reduced in the first place and they explained it was a late payment, but would it be okay for them to just take it to 1k.  Uh huh, lol, please do.

That's pretty nice, and even nicer that they (mostly) happened automatically! How long were the gaps between those increases?

Message 6 of 32
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I just love that you can call every 3 months and it's not a credit pull!!!

I think all credit cards should be that way.

more on more banks are getting picky about inquries, but yet they all hit your credit every chance you get.

cable company

cell phone

car insurance

i had my credit pulled in chicago for bottle water delivery at home!!!

how you suppose to get through life with out credit pulls! 

Message 7 of 32
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

FICO really SHOULD address these inquiries and how they're dinging us.  Bottled Water, Satellite, Cell Phone, etc shouldn't be held against us at all.
Message 8 of 32
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

fevmlo wrote:

That's pretty nice, and even nicer that they (mostly) happened automatically! How long were the gaps between those increases?

There's some funky history on this card, actually.  It's my oldest (08/1990) and started out as an LSAyres card.  In 1993 I had a regular Macy's, too, but I think it was closed due to inactivity in 2005 or so.  Back in the 90's this card had a HUGE limit (9k I think?), and then all hell broke loose.

So...  the limit was reduced to 100 after I paid off the orig card and kept my nose clean.  I'm pretty sure it stayed at 100 from 2002 thru 2006.  I went to buy something for my spring break cruise in March 07, had them look up my acct (thought they were looking up the AU acct), put the charge thru, checked online and noticed the 300 charge went thru on MY acct (now w/ a 750 CL), not the AU acct.  So..  fast forward to Aug 07 and I noticed that my limit had been reduced from 750 to 600.  I called and they put it up to 1k.  Then in/around Jan 08 I noticed the auto-cli to 2.5k along w/ an upgrade to their plat.

I did spend a good deal of money in there last Nov/Dec.  There is NO way I'll keep the plat status this year.  (I think I've charged about 200 bucks all year in 08.)

So, the auto's came quickly.  Whew!

I don't think they'll drop the limit any time soon.  My mom has had her acct since '96 and has been at 4.6k and she spends less there than I do.  Her store card is 4.6k and her Macy's Visa is at 2.5k.  I app'd for the Visa in August and was denied.  They pulled EX (Indiana).  Now I'm glad I didn't get it -- otherwise I'd feel guilty about the new Ikea card!  (And I'm still a bit grumpy for getting the Amex Green, lol.)

Hope that helps!  Sorry it's so long!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There's some funky history on this card, actually.  It's my oldest (08/1990) and started out as an LSAyres card.  In 1993 I had a regular Macy's, too, but I think it was closed due to inactivity in 2005 or so.  Back in the 90's this card had a HUGE limit (9k I think?), and then all hell broke loose.

So...  the limit was reduced to 100 after I paid off the orig card and kept my nose clean.  I'm pretty sure it stayed at 100 from 2002 thru 2006.  I went to buy something for my spring break cruise in March 07, had them look up my acct (thought they were looking up the AU acct), put the charge thru, checked online and noticed the 300 charge went thru on MY acct (now w/ a 750 CL), not the AU acct.  So..  fast forward to Aug 07 and I noticed that my limit had been reduced from 750 to 600.  I called and they put it up to 1k.  Then in/around Jan 08 I noticed the auto-cli to 2.5k along w/ an upgrade to their plat.

I did spend a good deal of money in there last Nov/Dec.  There is NO way I'll keep the plat status this year.  (I think I've charged about 200 bucks all year in 08.)

So, the auto's came quickly.  Whew!

I don't think they'll drop the limit any time soon.  My mom has had her acct since '96 and has been at 4.6k and she spends less there than I do.  Her store card is 4.6k and her Macy's Visa is at 2.5k.  I app'd for the Visa in August and was denied.  They pulled EX (Indiana).  Now I'm glad I didn't get it -- otherwise I'd feel guilty about the new Ikea card!  (And I'm still a bit grumpy for getting the Amex Green, lol.)

Hope that helps!  Sorry it's so long!

That's not long, that's like... like... the first sentence of one of my rambly posts, that is! Thank you - good to hear that the auto-CLIs happen for those who aren't so impatient that they rush for the phone at 90 day intervals! Macy's is great, I really do need to make the effort to shop there more often - used to go in and spend a bit here and there all the time, back when we used to live about 3 mins walk from one of their stores. Now it's all a bit much effort! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.