Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

730 EQ Fico = Freedom @ $500 ????

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

730 EQ Fico = Freedom @ $500 ????

Anyways I signed up my friend for $200 chase checking bonus at Chase bank today. They asked if they wanted  him to app for a  Freedom card. and he only got approved for $500....

we were like **bleep**? Since he had a Capital one for 3 years canceled, and only thing he has now is a Discover with 3 year AAOA open.

with 1200 out of $2500 limit used and a $0 balance on a Marks and Morgans credit card with a $3900 limit. That should keep him up at 18% credit to debt ratio which should be fine. Considering his score and AAOA he should ATLEAST be approved for $2,000 imo even with only 2 cards reporting.

So turns out Chase does NOT factor in store card accounts into their utility..... so it looked like he was almost 50% of his credit usage with their underwritting....

Chase is a great bank, but never something new everyday....

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: 730 EQ Fico = Freedom @ $500 ????

Dang, that stinks! i know how that feels tho lol chase did the same thing to me. kinda pissed me off lol but no big deal i guess

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

yea it's his first Visa since his capital one was a mastercard, and it's worth it just for discounts and reward malls alone, chase is pretty good about CLI until $5,000 then it's not so fun.

Message 3 of 24
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Anyways I signed up my friend for $200 chase checking bonus at Chase bank today. They asked if they wanted  him to app for a  Freedom card. and he only got approved for $500....

we were like **bleep**? Since he had a Capital one for 3 years canceled, and only thing he has now is a Discover with 3 year AAOA open.

with 1200 out of $2500 limit used and a $0 balance on a Marks and Morgans credit card with a $3900 limit. That should keep him up at 18% credit to debt ratio which should be fine. Considering his score and AAOA he should ATLEAST be approved for $2,000 imo even with only 2 cards reporting.

So turns out Chase does NOT factor in store card accounts into their utility..... so it looked like he was almost 50% of his credit usage with their underwritting....

Does "Marks and Morgans" report to all 3 CRAs? I've never heard of that store, so it is probably a small store or a jewlery store or something that gives out CCs. If they don't report to all 3 CRAs and chase pulled an agency they don't report to that could be the cause of the high util. 

Message 4 of 24
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

If it reports, they consider it. They considered my overall util including all of my store cards when I got my Freedom w a $5k limit.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Does "Marks and Morgans" report to all 3 CRAs? I've never heard of that store, so it is probably a small store or a jewlery store or something that gives out CCs. If they don't report to all 3 CRAs and chase pulled an agency they don't report to that could be the cause of the high util. 

Marks and Morgans is a Jewelry store owned by Sterling. and Sterling owns

1. kays Jeweler
  2. Goodman Jewelers
  3. Jared The Galleria of Jewelry
  4. Leroys Jewelers
  5. JB Robinson Jewelers
  6. Marks and Morgans Jewelers
  7. Osterman Jewelers
  8. Rogers Jewelers
  9. Belden Jewelers
  10. Shaws Jewelers
  11. Friedlander Jewelers
  12. Shaws Jewelers
  13. Friedlander Jewelers
  14. Weisfield Jewelers

and they report to all bureaus.

Message 6 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
If it reports, they consider it. They considered my overall util including all of my store cards when I got my Freedom w a $5k limit.

They told straight out, we do not factor store cards internally, it helps your Fico score, but they ONLY look at major credit cards that are backed by a larger network like Visa Amex Discover etc. They counted his credit to debt ratio on his single Discover card alone for the internal score.

Message 7 of 24
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Wow... That sucks.... Well I had to recon twice to get my $5k freedom. Chase is hit or miss just like the rest of 'em. Hahaha
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

recon twice for the limit or just the approval? lol

Message 9 of 24
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

They are big on saying they don't go by score alone. Some people have high scores and low AAoA so I guess that's why they take that stance in the recon department at least.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.