Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$75 Hyatt Visa forcibly PCing to $95 card

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

$75 Hyatt Visa forcibly PCing to $95 card

I got a notice in the mail. On January 11, 2021 my $75 Hyatt Visa is forcibly converting to the $95 World of Hyatt card.

Since I mostly earn with Amex and BofA, and really just use the Hyatt card for the annual night, this is unwelcome news...effectively just an AF hike. But I doubt I will cancel.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: $75 Hyatt Visa forcibly PCing to $95 card

Suspect that will happen to the IHG in time as well

Message 2 of 14
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Yuck. 

Bad Kudos.png

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's one thing if there will be no lower AF Hyatt cards after your current one gets discontinued. I believe banks will first try to switch you to the nearest like product, and if none, convert you to a generic rewards vs. a different hotel chain. Also, I think banks may try to keep you on the same tier of card, too. For example, if Chase killed off their United Club card, they'd probably PC you to a CSR and not a CSP. 

Message 4 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I got a notice in the mail. On January 11, 2021 my $75 Hyatt Visa is forcibly converting to the $95 World of Hyatt card.

Since I mostly earn with Amex and BofA, and really just use the Hyatt card for the annual night, this is unwelcome news...effectively just an AF hike. But I doubt I will cancel.

Before you judge Chase too harshly, compare the benefits of the 2 cards.  I don't recall what the differences were but I do recall that they more than made up for the $20 hike in annual fee, and caused me to voluntarily make the product change immediately after the new card was offered.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Suspect that will happen to the IHG in time as well

It might even be soon. The timeline is similar, with both World of Hyatt and IHG Premier launching in 2018 with the lower-AF cards closing around then to new apps.

Message 6 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's one thing if there will be no lower AF Hyatt cards after your current one gets discontinued. I believe banks will first try to switch you to the nearest like product, and if none, convert you to a generic rewards vs. a different hotel chain. Also, I think banks may try to keep you on the same tier of card, too. For example, if Chase killed off their United Club card, they'd probably PC you to a CSR and not a CSP. 

Nothing is ambiguous here. I'm going from the older $75 Hyatt Visa (which closed to new application about two years ago) to the newer $95 "World of Hyatt" Visa that came out at that time.

My parents used Chase TravelPlus years ago, a no-AF card. When Chase discontinued that they tried to steer them not to Freedom but to the $95 CSP.

Message 7 of 14
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

$20 increase to $95 sounds reasonable for a card with an included annual free night. Amex had the same thing with SPG ($95) (which is now exclusive to Chase's Boundless Visa), and their $95 Hilton did not even have a free night (which is why I canceled it). Seems like they are enforcing streamlining/simplifying their portfolio by removing legacy products.

Message 8 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Before you judge Chase too harshly, compare the benefits of the 2 cards.  I don't recall what the differences were but I do recall that they more than made up for the $20 hike in annual fee, and caused me to voluntarily make the product change immediately after the new card was offered.

I did compare the benefits before posting. I didn't say the card couldn't work for anyone, just that it didn't appeal to me with my Amex+BofA focus. I like MRs and have BofA's +75% PH multiplier, so a bunch of narrowly-defined travel and dining 2x categories don't do much for me.

I'm losing price protection (one of the few cards that has kept it) and return protection.

With a lot of accumulated hotel points, I'm more focused on using points than earning them, so 4x vs. 3x at Hyatt doesn't do much.  And I'm not likely to spend $15k for an additional low-category annual night.

Message 9 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

$20 increase to $95 sounds reasonable for a card with an included annual free night. Amex had the same thing with SPG ($95) (which is now exclusive to Chase's Boundless Visa), and their $95 Hilton did not even have a free night (which is why I canceled it). Seems like they are enforcing streamlining/simplifying their portfolio by removing legacy products.

As I said, I doubt I will cancel. I have a lot of Hyatt points and I don't want to risk letting them expire if I were to close the card and forget to buy points occasionally. And eventually I will travel again and use the card.

I know $20 isn't much...and I know they are simplifying...I'm more grumpy over the principle of a forced AF hike on a travel card when we're in the middle of a pandemic without any recompense to customers. There were incentives in the past to upgrade but I ignored those offers as I thought I could keep my card for at least a few more years. Between Continental cards, TravelPlus, and legacy Marriott products Chase seemed to keep legacy products active for many years.

I have the $95 "old SPG" Bonvoy Amex. I actually got to keep the 50k night by downgrading from Brilliant right after the AF hit. Otherwise it's a 35k night.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.