802 score AMEX approved for $2500

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 802 score AMEX approved for $2500

@Anonymous wrote:

my fico from the mortgage lender: 796, 802, 782

I have around 5 credit cards, highest CL $30,000 BOA

I got the Costco AMEX $4000 CL for more than 7 years, AMEX never CLI or CLD me.  recently applied for SPG AMEX, approved for $2500 CL only?

what's wrong?

It could be a number of reasons such as DTI or their internal evaluation of how much you use their card.  If you don't use it much they could think your current limit is sufficient.

Message 11 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

AMEX does things according to their own standards and underwriting policy, so just having high FICO's won't seal the deal with them.  I've had an AMEX account since 1980 and applied for a SPG card in 2005 and was immediately given a CL of $25,000 which has not changed since then.  My FICO's at the time were in the 750 range.  If you need more CL give them a call and see if they can work with you on it..  Is there anything else in your file that 'isn't quite right'?

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:

AMEX does things according to their own standards and underwriting policy, so just having high FICO's won't seal the deal with them.  I've had an AMEX account since 1980 and applied for a SPG card in 2005 and was immediately given a CL of $25,000 which has not changed since then.  My FICO's at the time were in the 750 range.  If you need more CL give them a call and see if they can work with you on it..  Is there anything else in your file that 'isn't quite right'?

everything in my report is perfect, and am not carrying any balance at all, but I don't use cc a lot that's true. It's just kinda strange, BOA would give me $30K, Citi would give me $15K, Chase would give me $20K.......but AMEX gave me $2.5K and HSBC gave me $2750

Message 13 of 19
techman2008
New Contributor

Glad i'm not the only one.     These are the times Robot Indifferent

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were completely honest with them on your application, I would suggest you call and ask for a CLI. The worst that can happen is they'll review your $ info!

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you were completely honest with them on your application, I would suggest you call and ask for a CLI. The worst that can happen is they'll review your $ info!

No, the worst they can do is conduct a FR (Financial Review) and force you to authorize release of your tax informaion for the past couple of years, ask for your W-2s and then give you a CLD or close your account.

Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OP, maybe it's because this is an additional card, and they're dividing whatever total amount of credit they want to extend to you between the two cards.

Did you give household income or just personal? (I forget if AmEx allows the option of HHI.) If you used HHI, then they might even be evaluating your DH's card in total credit as well. One household with three lines of credit (CC's) totaling $18K might be as far as they want to go right now.

Just some maybes.

My Blue started out at $2500, but I did an online CLI request after a year or so and got $5K. (I wasn't about to try the 3X bit. Smiley Very Happy)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Amex asks HHI for apps and CLIs.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

OP, maybe it's because this is an additional card, and they're dividing whatever total amount of credit they want to extend to you between the two cards.

Did you give household income or just personal? (I forget if AmEx allows the option of HHI.) If you used HHI, then they might even be evaluating your DH's card in total credit as well. One household with three lines of credit (CC's) totaling $18K might be as far as they want to go right now.

Just some maybes.

My Blue started out at $2500, but I did an online CLI request after a year or so and got $5K. (I wasn't about to try the 3X bit. Smiley Very Happy)

yeah my hubby gave me his SPG additional card, amex may have count on it. feeling better now Smiley Wink

$5K would be enough for me....I just want to stay at W hotel for freeSmiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.