Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 year old got preapproval

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: 9 year old got preapproval

Just use the free annual credit report to check on your sons credit not being used... or I feel like I have heard on Suze talk about a kids credit report and options for parents.

As for the pre-approval, forget that... just go directly on the Discover website and do the pre-approval link that way... I have not seen one get denied yet from friends that have used it.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get the card for Rover, just to put the paw print on the back and take him/her to Petsmart.

Message 12 of 22
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

My kids get offers from Citi all the time because they have American Airlines FF numbers.  To make it easier for my kids (teens) to fill up the gas tanks or stop at the store for me, they both have BCP's cards as AU's on my account.  They will be AMEX members since 2012.  In a few months my 16 year old will have a FICO score.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 13 of 22
wmcodywilson
New Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

My kids get offers from Citi all the time because they have American Airlines FF numbers.  To make it easier for my kids (teens) to fill up the gas tanks or stop at the store for me, they both have BCP's cards as AU's on my account.  They will be AMEX members since 2012.  In a few months my 16 year old will have a FICO score.

I wish my mom had tought me better money managment skills and the importance of credit. She also had an amex but after a few years and when the economy collapsed she had closed her business becuase she was too afraid she was going to lose her clients. Since then, has defaulted on everything Smiley Sad

Congrats though on getting your kids prepared. Im doing this now with my younger sister now that I realize how important it is.

Starting Score: EQ 489 1/2012 TU 493 1/2012
Current Score: EQ 547 5/2012 TU 562 5/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 22
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would get the card for Rover, just to put the paw print on the back and take him/her to Petsmart.

Like the Simpsons episode where Bart applied for the credit card under Santa's Little Helper and the card came for 'Santos L Halper' haha

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 15 of 22
orl22
New Contributor

Last week, my 14 year old got an actual card in the mail. It's a Netspend card. I guess it's a prepaid card that you card load through direct deposit and can be used just like a credit card. Supposedly helps build your credit but the fees are terrible. He can activate it by calling to number one the sticker. I'm surprised he got this.
Message 16 of 22
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@orl22 wrote:
Last week, my 14 year old got an actual card in the mail. It's a Netspend card. I guess it's a prepaid card that you card load through direct deposit and can be used just like a credit card. Supposedly helps build your credit but the fees are terrible. He can activate it by calling to number one the sticker. I'm surprised he got this.
It's not credit card but pretty sure illegal for them to issue card to him without your permission. He is underage and can't sign contracts.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 17 of 22
Link2k
Valued Member

@Crashem wrote:

@orl22 wrote:
It's not credit card but pretty sure illegal for them to issue card to him without your permission. He is underage and can't sign contracts.

Huh?

You do know any kid can take money to the local store and buy a prepaid card no questions asked. I highly doubt the prepaid card will actually help credit. Suze has a prepaid card and claims the same thing. Prepaid cards don't help unless they show up on your CR. 

Message 18 of 22
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Link2k wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@orl22 wrote:

Huh?

You do know any kid can take money to the local store and buy a prepaid card no questions asked. I highly doubt the prepaid card will actually help credit. Suze has a prepaid card and claims the same thing. Prepaid cards don't help unless they show up on your CR. 

Pre paid cards do nothing for credit because they aren't credit. As for kids buying pre paid cards, I am not talking about gift cards, but pre paid cards like net spend that have a cardholder agreement that needs to be signed. Underage kids cant do it legally. But there is difference between what is legal and what is possible.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 19 of 22
Link2k
Valued Member

@Crashem wrote:

@Link2k wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@orl22 wrote:

Huh?

Pre paid cards do nothing for credit because they aren't credit. As for kids buying pre paid cards, I am not talking about gift cards, but pre paid cards like net spend that have a cardholder agreement that needs to be signed. Underage kids cant do it legally. But there is difference between what is legal and what is possible.

Ah ok. I'm sure its possible but if he took the offer then they complained about it I would assume they would point to the fine print that likely says "must be 18" and ask why you signed up under false pretenses, even though they sent the offer to him.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.