Did you mean: 

90% of limit on Chase, need a quick response

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: 90% of limit on Chase, need a quick response

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Shock wrote:

just pay it off when it posts, and your utlization wont take a hit. it may be benficial though ti max it out for the month as chase may give you an increase and see your high balance as almost maxed out.

while they can do that. They can also look at is as a financial risk if you let it post.

Chase will still report the high balance if you pay it down before statement cut. I did pre-pay my Freedom last year and charged over my credit line and for many month my high limit was higher than my CL Smiley Sad and this was when it was not a siggy card...that looked a bit strange but had no consequences as I did pay it down before it reported.  This high balance is still on the account but now with 5K limit at least looks a little better.

But what you might want to do is to call Chase and let them know that you intend to charge this amount so it will go through witout you calling when standing in front of the merchant.

Message 11 of 23
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

IMO this is all overthinking.  Providing you don't exceed the CL, there will be no AA, especially if you PIF by due date, no need to pay before statement cut.    Utilization has no memory so one month of high util (even with score decrease) is fine if you are not apping this month.

Way overstressed here making people scared to use the credit that they have worked for!

ITA. Use it like a normal person would. Put your tires on the card, and pay it when the statement cuts, or sooner, if you just want to get it paid off. 

This situation is exactly what credit was created for. 

Message 12 of 23
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Put your tires on your credit card. Pay down half when it posts and then the other half after the statement closes. 

Message 13 of 23
elim
Senior Contributor

thank you guys, this place is the best for quick help. i'll use the card and pay it down to 9% in a day or two, when it let's me. wooooot, i like brand new tires... be back later!.

Message 14 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

IMO this is all overthinking.  Providing you don't exceed the CL, there will be no AA, especially if you PIF by due date, no need to pay before statement cut.    Utilization has no memory so one month of high util (even with score decrease) is fine if you are not apping this month.

Way overstressed here making people scared to use the credit that they have worked for!

+1

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 15 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Exactly. If you have the limit.. use it! If you pay it off before the statement closes, great -- if not, then so long as you pay the amount you owe, Chase won't care!

Message 16 of 23
Bman70
Established Contributor

I don't know about Chase, but I've never thought twice about putting big balances (70-90%) on my BofA and Cap1 cards. My only concern with a charge was always, "Can I afford this?" I thought that's what credit limits were for.. you stay under it and pay on time. Simple? lol. Over the years, they only gave me increases. Joining MyFICO was the first time I heard otherwise. I've never paid late, so maybe those stories of being flagged are from people with spotty histories.

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 17 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

I don't know about Chase, but I've never thought twice about putting big balances (70-90%) on my BofA and Cap1 cards. My only concern with a charge was always, "Can I afford this?" I thought that's what credit limits were for.. you stay under it and pay on time. Simple? lol. Over the years, they only gave me increases. Joining MyFICO was the first time I heard otherwise. I've never paid late, so maybe those stories of being flagged are from people with spotty histories.

My Amex SPG card has been maxed a couple times this cycle already because they only have an initial CL of 2k. Its a royal pain in the neck to say the least to have to keep paying it down so I can make more charges  in order to meet the initial spend. I have not carried a balance at all and the payment for the balance due (and $500 more) is already scheduled. I would note though that I am not overly concerned about this, because this card line is a small percentage of my overall credit util. If this was my only card (or even my only card with amex - I have two other amex cards with 0 balances) I might be a bit more nervous. If Amex took AA against me I believe it would be an incredibly stupid business decision on their part given the sheer number of charges I am running through their card (pretty much every single expense until I meet min spend). I can't wait to meet the min spend so I can go back to putting purchases on cards based on bonus categories.

;
Message 18 of 23
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

OP it is important to remember how credit card companies make their money:

1.  Transaction/Swipe Fees (they get a certain % of the purchase from the vendor)

2.  Interest/APR:  They charge their customers interest on the amount they borrow 

While I do not think it is bad for you to have a PIF mentality, I think longtimelurker and others are exactly right....we are way over thinking this thing of ours Smiley Wink !  If Chase AA/CLDed every person who do not pay off their bill at the end of the month, they would eliminate 90% of their customer base.  Credit by definition is "buy now, pay later".    

OP even if you send them, say $100/month until the balance is paid off, Chase would be more than happy to have you do that and tack on interest to the principal.  It's a win-win for both parties...you get to pay off your tires slowly as opposed to depleting your checking account; they get to charge you interest and make money.

However it is important that you do not max out and stay maxed out (or max out several cards at the same time).  To lenders this indicates someone is in financial distress and at a very high risk for default.  But if you are making regular, on time payments (above the minimum), and managing your other card well, the chances they AA you are infinitesimal.

Message 19 of 23
red259
Super Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

OP it is important to remember how credit card companies make their money:

1.  Transaction/Swipe Fees (they get a certain % of the purchase from the vendor)

2.  Interest/APR:  They charge their customers interest on the amount they borrow 

While I do not think it is bad for you to have a PIF mentality, I think longtimelurker and others are exactly right....we are way over thinking this thing of ours Smiley Wink !  If Chase AA/CLDed every person who do not pay off their bill at the end of the month, they would eliminate 90% of their customer base.  Credit by definition is "buy now, pay later".    

OP even if you send them, say $100/month until the balance is paid off, Chase would be more than happy to have you do that and tack on interest to the principal.  It's a win-win for both parties...you get to pay off your tires slowly as opposed to depleting your checking account; they get to charge you interest and make money.

However it is important that you do not max out and stay maxed out (or max out several cards at the same time).  To lenders this indicates someone is in financial distress and at a very high risk for default.  But if you are making regular, on time payments (above the minimum), and managing your other card well, the chances they AA you are infinitesimal.

This varies by lender. Some lenders like people who carry balances a bit more (ie citi) vs other lenders who seem to prefer a PIF approach (ie amex).

;
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.