cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A CAPITAL ONE Application Spree? You Better Believe It!

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

A CAPITAL ONE Application Spree? You Better Believe It!

Yes, yes...I know...Capital One is a credit pariah to many on this board, but post-house closing, they have been VERY generous to me:

Sony Cap1 VISA card: Approved for $2,500

Cap1 Cash Rewards: Approved for $3,000

Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard: Approved for $2,500

Menard's BIG card (Menard's is EVERYWHERE here): Approved for $5,000 (I didn't even know Cap1 could count that high...even if this is a store card!)

All cards approved on the same day!

By my count, that's $13,000 in new credit Smiley Very Happy

I know what you're thinking...why not Discover? Why not Citi? Why not Chase...BOA...AMEX?

Here's why...I have a year 2010 BK7...and the aforementioned prime lenders won't touch me with a 30-foot pole.

But Capital One did...in a big way...and for taking a chance on a guy who screwed up in the past and is now a responsible credit user (and 1st time homeowner), that guy says THANK YOU, CAPITAL ONE Smiley Happy

Note: Edited to correct errors

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: A CAPITAL ONE Application Spree? You Better Believe It!

Capital One definitely gets a lot of flak -- oftimes dservedly so -- but I agree, they are one of the few lenders who will help you out when you're down. They can be a chore to deal with, but all-in-all, they've done me right.

So congrats man. Use those cards with pride.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 15
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Capital One definitely gets a lot of flak -- oftimes dservedly so -- but I agree, they are one of the few lenders who will help you out when you're down. They can be a chore to deal with, but all-in-all, they've done me right.

So congrats man. Use those cards with pride.

Much appreciated!

I should have mentioned...none of the cards has an AF...and the interest rate is pretty good on the co-branded cards (not that it matters since we use/pay off, but still a nice gesture).

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats 

BTW I love my cap1 cards

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 15
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Congrats 

BTW I love my cap1 cards

Same here!

Confessional time: I was once a Cap1 hater. They were restricting access to CLIs...and thus, in my mind, impeding my credit improvement.

Then I realized...these people gave a credit card to a guy who had just hit rock-bottom. Sure that eventual $750 limit seemed piddly, but I had just filed for Chapter 7 BK (not related to CC debt, but rather mounds of medical bills from keeping my son alive). Were they supposed to just hand me the keys to the vault?

Cap1 has a very particular, SUCCESSFUL business model. They are generous to few, but cautious with many. They charge nominal AFs...waive them at times for good customers...and give decent-but-not-Earth-shattering CLIs and CLs at times.

I have grown to appreciate the role they play in the credit world. People here swoon over BOA/Citi/AMEX/Chase and the like...but the truth is, very few of those companies waste their time even considering people like me. It's as though I am a Yamaha motorcycle rider walking into a Harley Davidson shop Smiley Very Happy At least Cap1 lets me in the door without judging me...and that really rubs me the right way.

Message 5 of 15
Siopao
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  Cap One let me back in the door too after I burned them in my BK.  $500 limit, but it's a start.

Message 6 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I love my cap1 as well. They gave me my first ever credit card with a 3k limit and no AF Smiley Very Happy 

Congrats on your spree. 

Message 7 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Yes, yes...I know...Capital One is a credit pariah to many on this board, but post-house closing, they have been VERY generous to me:

Sony Cap1 VISA card: Approved for $2,500

Cap1 Cash Rewards: Approved for $3,000

Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard: Approved for $2,500

Menard's BIG card (Menard's is EVERYWHERE here): Approved for $5,000 (I didn't even know Cap1 could count that high...even if this is a store card!)

All cards approved on the same day!

By my count, that's $13,000 in new credit Smiley Very Happy

I know what you're thinking...why not Discover? Why not Citi? Why not Chase...BOA...AMEX?

Here's why...I have a year 2010 BK7...and the aforementioned prime lenders won't touch me with a 30-foot pole.

But Capital One did...in a big way...and for taking a chance on a guy who screwed up in the past and is now a responsible credit user (and 1st time homeowner), that guy says THANK YOU, CAPITAL ONE Smiley Happy

Note: Edited to correct errors

CONGRATS!!!

I dont blame ya go with the lender that will trust you and you like!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 15
str8cashholmes

Congrats on the approvals. Just curious though, you said you got the cash rewards card with no AF. I thought that was strictly for those with excellent credit and the $39 AF was for us with some blemishes like a recent BK.

Message 9 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Congrats 

BTW I love my cap1 cards

Same here!

Confessional time: I was once a Cap1 hater. They were restricting access to CLIs...and thus, in my mind, impeding my credit improvement.

Then I realized...these people gave a credit card to a guy who had just hit rock-bottom. Sure that eventual $750 limit seemed piddly, but I had just filed for Chapter 7 BK (not related to CC debt, but rather mounds of medical bills from keeping my son alive). Were they supposed to just hand me the keys to the vault?

Cap1 has a very particular, SUCCESSFUL business model. They are generous to few, but cautious with many. They charge nominal AFs...waive them at times for good customers...and give decent-but-not-Earth-shattering CLIs and CLs at times.

I have grown to appreciate the role they play in the credit world. People here swoon over BOA/Citi/AMEX/Chase and the like...but the truth is, very few of those companies waste their time even considering people like me. It's as though I am a Yamaha motorcycle rider walking into a Harley Davidson shop Smiley Very Happy At least Cap1 lets me in the door without judging me...and that really rubs me the right way.

Well said Bravo

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.