Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Farewell to Zync

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

A Farewell to Zync

In many ways, getting the Zync played a huge role in my rebuilding progress. It gave me spending power commensurate with my income at a time when all my revolving cards had low limits. It backdated to 1988 and allowed me to add better cards in rapid succession without trashing my AAoA. It also gave me the confidence to apply for other Amex cards, knowing a decline would be a soft pull.

I thought about keeping it for nostalgia/uniqueness, but I couldn't find a scenario when I would ever put another charge on it. The AAoA benefit will stick around for 10 years and I have two other Amex cards. I also don't plan to make any big purchases at Costco for a while (I made 2 10k plus charges there last year that I would not be able to do with just my Amex revolvers) and I can't see spending $25 for a "unique" card to sit in my desk drawer.  I'll be running all my uncategorized spend through the CSP, so diluting that with the occasional MRE point didn't seem very smart.  So, I called, cancelled and shredded.

BTW, they did offer me 3000 MR points to keep the card. I declined, but those of you planning to keep it might try calling to see what they give you for retention.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Re: A Farewell to Zync

I know how you feel... I remember how happy I was when I was approved a year and a half ago! Once I get my balances down on my SW, I will probably use that one for daily expenses to rack up some points for vacations! I might just keep it open and use it on Small business Saturday to offset the AF. People still love seeing it when I use it! I will "upgrade" to green or gold eventually, or even just get BCE. We will see.

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 2 of 37
Simply827
Established Contributor

R.I.P. Unicorn

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 3 of 37
p-
Valued Contributor

... and with that the number was forever reduced by 1 ...

Message 4 of 37
Cageym
Established Contributor

I keep thinking about cancelling it, it really does nothing for me right now except be unique, and I have 2 other AMEX cards. BUt just the possible looks from people asking "What kind of Amex is that?" make me keep it just a little longer. LOL

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 5 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

3K MR points for reconsideration is a generous offer, considering I was offered 1K MR points before closing my Zync card.

Message 6 of 37
thom02099
Valued Contributor

One less Unicorn in this world...Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 37
p-
Valued Contributor

@Cageym wrote:

I keep thinking about cancelling it, it really does nothing for me right now except be unique, and I have 2 other AMEX cards. BUt just the possible looks from people asking "What kind of Amex is that?" make me keep it just a little longer. LOL

That, and I'm curious what they will ultimately offer us.  If it ends up being essentially a green card but with a lower AF, I'm keeping it.  I understand the rewards program is different right now from the Green, but I won't be suprised if it changes in the future.  Why would they continue to maintain a lower tier rewards system for just a few customers?

Message 8 of 37
p-
Valued Contributor

I'm looking but I don't see a NPSL from Amex for anything less than a 95 dollar fee, going up to 450.

Is there any other option for a charge card?  I sure like being able to put large amounts into a rewards card without impacting my Utilization, and definitley want at least one NPSL in my mix.  

Can you get a charge card anywhere for less than 25 bucks a year?

Message 9 of 37
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

The MRE rewards program is also used by the AMEX Blue card, so it doesn't have to change at all. They may come up with a new form of Green card with a lower fee and the MRE program if they want to migrate Zync holders to another card. But who knows, anything can happen. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.