Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Reason Why Discover Should Be In Your Card Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Reason Why Discover Should Be In Your Card Collection

so sorry to hear about the passing of your wife.

i know that has to be tough to deal with.

best wishes.

thank you for sharing your story regarding the discover card.

i just got into the discover family this month so i'm happy to see how they treat their customers.

Message 21 of 35
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I’m very happy to hear that Discover was able to help you in your time of need.

Message 22 of 35
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Condolences and hope you're doing as well as can be expected.  

You definitely have a great track record with them....one of the best I've read.  Yay for Discover pulling through for you and double yay to you having been up front and approaching them to make things happen for you, more than once.

Take care of yourself, sending you  (((((hugs))))))

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 23 of 35
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Condolences on the passing of your wife.  Sending positive energy to you and your family.

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

My condolences, sorry for your loss. Glad I'm a part of the discover family.

Message 25 of 35
EdMan63
Established Contributor

So sorry for your loss. 

Message 26 of 35
Openwater
Established Contributor

Sorry for loss... it’s good to know that you were able to get support from discover to make arrangements. I have gained some respect for my discover card.

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 27 of 35
Ricky_D
Contributor

THANK YOU to so many who responded.  It warms my heart to read what you all wrote. I am alone now as there are no children and most in my family are in heaven.Thank you soooo much! Bless all of you.

I posted awhile back on the forum that I used to be somebody (entertainer) at one time and was very well off. Life took a turn (A family member I trusted took money) and I became completely broke, lost everything. My credit was horrible and I stayed away from aquiring credit for over 18 years. It was only in 2018 that I got my first card (Credit One), then Capital One.  Shortly after, I found this forum, learned a lot, and developed a plan that I would only get no more than a $5k credit limit on any card. Discover was the exception. They initialy gave me $10K, now $16K.

As time and my reading and learning in this forum passed, I came up with a plan to take my wife on trips. But to do so, I would apply for top cards with perks to offset some costs. I make $64K a year now so big spending is not going to happen. I wasn't going after points or SUBs. I just wanted the perks. So, every card I have now, I called the issuer, explained my plan and was approved for the limits I wanted.  In less than 7 months getting Credit One I cancelled them.  Then I was approved for Capital One Plat and the Discover Chrome followed. 2 months later, the Disco Cash came. I never charged more than $100 on a card, rotate their use, and always paid the bill two weeks before due. My credit scores started going up. When I got to 699 on Experian fico 8, I tried Amex. First card was the BCE (now Preferred), then Plat, Gold, Hilton Surpass, and Marriot Brilliant. All in 8 months. Delta Reserve and Green are the latest 4 months ago. Now, Experian fico 8 is 773, Equifax 751, and Trans 727 (**bleep** Apple Card only reporting Trans).  Don't mind paying AFs. For some, the perks are enough. By the way, I can tell a story about Amex saving my sister in New Orleans last year when the threat of a hurricane almost happened.  Once call to the concierge and a truck was sent to get her out from a flooded AirBnB she stayed at, booked a flight, when others could not get out, and when she arrived back, put her in a cab home.

So, just when I got things in place, my wife was diagnosed with heart valve failue, kidney, and liver failures. There was hope, but her heart stopped suddenly on 1/15, 4 days before our anniversay with the next day being her birthday. I bury her Saturday.

My soulmate and plans gone.

Sorry for the long story.   Sharing my life.

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for sharing your story.

pretty cool with the amex story with your sister. top notch concierge.

i'm sure the forums can be a good place to turn to and vent about things and the members will be supportive.

best wishes

Message 29 of 35
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad a lender was able to help you out.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.